Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: friends missing in plane returning from baja
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 04:36 AM
friends missing in plane returning from baja

This from the BBP. They are my neighbors at the serenidad. Please any/all by land or air keep an eye out for them. Some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

Aircraft missing in Baja - 10/30/2006

We were contacted this afternoon by Don Johnson of the Hotel Serenidad who indicated that an aircraft left Mulege on Monday, October 23 for the US and is presumed to be lost and /or down. He was notified this afternoon by relatives who expected the aircraft home early this week.

The aircraft departed Mulege Monday and encountered bad weather to the North. The pilot returned to the Serenidad and waited about two hours and made the decision to depart again to what it is believed to the North.

In checking with San Felipe and Mexicali, the aircraft did not land or report passing their station. And we have confirmed with both US Flight Service and US Customs that the aircraft has not entered the US at any US port of entry within the missing time period. It is presumed that it either landed at a strip, made a hard landing damaging the aircraft so it cannot fly, or has gone down somewhere between Mulege and Calexico. The pilot is a seasoned Baja traveler and normally uses Calexico as his port of entry into the US. The Emergency response group of the US Coast Guard indicates that there has been no ELT signal reported by either the US or Mexico.

The information is as follows:

Pilot: Gary Thomas

Passenger: Peggy Thomas

N Number: N9667Y

Aircraft: Beach Bonanza P35

City: Escalon

State: California

The FAA database indicates that he is a private pilot, airplane, single engine land. It is not indicated that he is instrument rated and it is assumed that he is not.

US Flight service has been notified of the missing aircraft along with US Customs. In addition, San Felipe is broadcasting information of the missing aircraft to all controlled Mexican airports in the Northwest.

If you have seen this aircraft in the last one week time period, please contact the BBP at 480 730 3250 or the US Coast Guard at 510 437 3701. If you call the Coast Guard, indicate that the call is in reference to N9667Y.

Questions that we have include:

Did anyone talk to him via radio in flight on Monday?

Did anyone talk to him in person that might have information on his route or

destination on Monday?

If anyone knows the pilot, questions that we have include:

Does he normally fly high or low?

Does he fly over the land or over the water on that route?

How much fuel would he have, i.e. did he have extended range tanks.

With San Felipe out of fuel, did he attempt to reach Mexicali?

And, with the storm, he could have diverted anywhere over land or the Sea of Cortez

If you are flying from the US to Mulege, please watch for any signs of the aircraft. And, even though it has been a long time, monitor 121.5 for any ELT signal.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:44 AM

Wow Mike this is really bad news I hope we get some response to this post . do you know if anyone is flying a search? I know it is almost imposable with so many square miles and not knowing the route he took.

Please let us know if you here anything.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:57 AM

If no one has picked up a EPIRB signal, there is a chance he diverted. Let's hope so.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 09:49 AM

capt. mike...I hope they are found soon and okay. Do you..or does anyone else..know if these aviators have any relationship to other Thomas's living in the area?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:52 AM

don't know other thomas's
recent reports are on the BBP including 2 planes that were talking to them. he went IMC in a climb to what he thot was a clear layer at 5000 but was not heard from, north of chivato. if over water and got disoriented in the climb it could be bad and in the drink no wreckage to find.
i am sick about this.

the other thing is Diana and Marcos were going to go with them that day but decided against it.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 12:48 PM

do they have any idea how far north they were when they tried to climb?

could there have been Icing conditions below 5000? doesn't seem likely but.:no:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
If no one has picked up a EPIRB signal, there is a chance he diverted. Let's hope so.

Is a plane EPIRB able to deploy and operate if the plane goes in the drink? If the plane sinks in 1000+ feet of water?
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 12:59 PM

EPIRB ? That like the Blackbox ?
Hope they are okay ! Don't know them - but still !!

[Edited on 31-10-2006 by FARASHA]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:03 PM

no it is more like an emergency locater beacon that goes off automatically if the plane suffers a extreme impact or jar. they are picked up by satellite.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:07 PM

AHJA, Thanks Bruce!

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:17 PM

Are all private aircraft required to have EPIRB ?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 04:29 PM
EPIRB/ELT

Someone has jumped in here and muddied the waters.
An EPIRB is for marine/boating.
ELT is for aviation.
They work off the same general concept, as an emergency locating device.
The ELT does not always work after an incident. Sometimes it is damaged in the crash (not usually) sometimes the batteries have failed, and it would not work underwater (a very likely, and a very sad possibility in the current situation)
Hope that helps.
**** from a long time pilot who now leaves the flying to my airline flying daughter
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 05:42 PM

I truly hope that the people in the aircraft are found safe and sound, our thoughts are with their family and friends.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 05:58 PM

this is good info grover it seem like those of us in the Mulege area can look around Palo Verdi and Punta Chivato. I will be asking people in that area if they herd anything.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 05:02 AM

good idea thx Bruce. i just cannot believe this event.....they worked so hard together fixing up their place at Don's the last year. They gave lots of people rides home and many times mex nationals like Alejandro a trip to the states and back. Gary is also a pro fishing guide in Cal. Well, if in fact the worst has occured at least they were together doing what they loved the most, flying and baja.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 11:54 AM
Missing airplace post below ???

The one that was posted by pangamadness. This post will not let me reply to it. The reply button is not there and the quick reply window at the bottom is not there. I logged off, logged on....still no luck. anyone else notice this?

Anyway, my question was going to be to Capt. Mike. When did this plane leave the Serenidad, i.e., what time of day. Not mentioned in the original post, as far as I saw.

There are a number of gringo fishermen who have returned to their campos at San Lucas Cove. May be worth getting the word out amongst them to look for a slick or debris on their fishing expeditions. Winds have been hampering them lately, though.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 01:18 PM

San Bruno...San Lucas ...Sta. Rosalia areas. A word on the VHF radio out there might help to get notice to the fisherfolk...
channel 72 over there?..or maybe 22?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:00 PM
Spread the word

I e-mailed Capt Mikes info to Gonzaga Bay, La Bay and San Francisquito.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
The one that was posted by pangamadness. This post will not let me reply to it. The reply button is not there and the quick reply window at the bottom is not there. I logged off, logged on....still no luck. anyone else notice this?

Anyway, my question was going to be to Capt. Mike. When did this plane leave the Serenidad, i.e., what time of day. Not mentioned in the original post, as far as I saw.

There are a number of gringo fishermen who have returned to their campos at San Lucas Cove. May be worth getting the word out amongst them to look for a slick or debris on their fishing expeditions. Winds have been hampering them lately, though.

some one thought it would be cool to lock the thread and not say anything. it is to bad they need to play this kind of games on such an important thread where people are spending lots of money to hopefully save some lives.:no:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 02:48 PM

then they should move it to the other thread and tell people what they are doing and why.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.