BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Expat, american, gringo, americano?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:36 PM

El Gringo Loco works!:lol::lol::lol:

How do you translate 'Crazy Baja Nut'?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:40 PM

yup jesse tequla, gin, vodka, whiskey, all just tounge lube

jerry and judi
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I keep hearing people yelling Sancho at me as I'm running.

My helpers explained to me 'Sancho'... It is said whenever one sneezes...

I don't think I want to print here what they told me the meaning was...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:51 PM
Jesse

Check your u2u, please
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 09:46 PM

They just call me 'el viejo'. :mad:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
They just call me 'el viejo'. :mad:

You should be glad they don't call you ruco:lol:

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:11 PM

My mexican friends call me either vato or cabron. However, I would never dare to reciprocate with same. I usually respond with flaco, gordo, jeffe, or maybe after a few, pulga!!
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:18 PM

My old friends often call me a Mulegenian with a proud look. Which is good enough for this norteamericano...by way of Canada.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
My mexican friends call me either vato or cabron. However, I would never dare to reciprocate with same. I usually respond with flaco, gordo, jeffe, or maybe after a few, pulga!!

Ah sculpin! vato or cabron its even better than EL.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin

Ah sculpin! vato or cabron its even better than EL.

Exactly my point! If you are called cabron behind your back....that's bad. If they call you cabron to your face, you are their friend. I'm not sure I want to be "El Cabron" though.:no:
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There is a difference between the name of the continents (North America, South America) and the nationality of the people of the United States of America... From the Americas does not mean one is an American.

People from Chile or Costa Rica might live in 'the Americas', but they are not AMERICAN... They are Chilean or Costa Rican.

People from the United States of America are AMERICANS. That was established before any other country on the American continents was created.

All the other countries on the two continents have names for their citizens (Canada=Canadians, Brazil=Brazillians, etc.).

Anyway, 'United Statians' sounds dumb! So please don't take our nationality of American away from us!

David K has it right. Being from Canada I know I live in North America, but its a fact that I'm not American, but Canadian. What I'm called by Mexicans while in their country may be another story, but I am aware most know and place a difference between the two.
A great, great uncle of mine fell near Mexico City in 1847 but I have never considered myself a Gringo. He was, but likely without ever knowing it.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 07:12 AM

Don Jorge that is funny

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 07:18 AM

My impression of the word gringo is race but more so color. My impression, and I've never had someone explain this, is gringo means white. If a brown skinned Mex is born and raised in CA, is he/she a gringo? The same person is Baja, even if it were known they were born/raised in CA, wouldn't be labeled gringo.

Again, my impression is if you're white, you're a gringo -- and it doesn't matter if your European or from up North.

Like someone said here, the tone matters.

Like the Hawaiian word for white -- haole -- it's not a compliment though it's not always a put down. What it is, always, is a way to separate people. To me, it definitely means ''outsider.''

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 07:38 AM

Son gabacho; gringo es mas malo, es que mi trabajadores de Guerrerro dele mi.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 08:54 AM

Take it from a Mexican,
When Mexicans call you Gringo it is usually like Americans calling Mexicans Spanish. Most have no clue what Gringo means, heck I don't have a clear picture of what it means. I have been told that it comes from the old Green Coats, some kind of war thing back in the days when the Americans were fighting Mexicans, I think the war with Texas vs Mexico, as you can see I don't know to much about history but I do know my family and friends from Mexico and that is how they use the term. When you are not liked they add the word "P-nche" in front of it, including to their own people for example if you are dark in Mexico and someone does not like you they may call you "P-nche Negro" or "P-nche Indio" but the same people w hen liked are called "Mi Negrito" or "Mi Indiata" they add the famous "ito or ita" to make it a good thing.
In order tocall you "Cabron, buey" and any other strong term, they must really trust you and then they will say it to your face. Usually this type of behavior comes from mostly men that drink a few cervezas together but you will seldom if ever here it from a Mexican woman.
In Mexico, especially the mainland in in the suburbs, Americans are viewes as something special, someone rich, someone with power, someone with knowledge, a beacon a symbol of opportunity, so even when they refer to a US citizen as a "Gringo" they are only using it as a symbolic gesture, something that was spoken of only in tell tales, fairy tales, bedtime stories and such like events. In many Mexican Pueblos and Towns the racism card doesn't come into play because they don't know how to be racist. When they see someone different they are overtaken by curiousity and usually are very timid about approching the person but once they build enough confidence they want to be all around you to find out about you. I guess it isn't till the money rolls in and the influence from folks in larger cities that move in to the developing pueblos (towns) that the greed and envy begin to awaken a monster with-in the usually very friendly and child like in character Mexican families.
I don't know how many can relate but that is the truth and I should know i am Mexican and grew up in this way, until I migrated to the USA.
As far as being called beaner or greaser or Spanish for that matter, it never settled in with me in the correct way. I have a hard time with it for I know that in this country everyone, except those who could care less get an education free or rather on the taxpayers generousity (maybe forced) and thus does not warrant labling someone by race or slurs of culture. It is not like Americans are called hot dogs or roast beaf or McDonalds or anything like that. It is like calling a Chinese man, fried rice or Japanese, tempura or little wok. Mexican is often not taken well for some reason but Mexicano is OK and so is Latino. Seņor or Seņorita is the best as they are signs of respect. It is like calling someone Sir or Mam and I know that never irrates anyone for I used it hundreds of times when conducing business. Then once you get to know them by name you call them by name.
Well my two cents worth. God be with you all and there was no intention in my comments to undermine or insult anyone. Just trying to shed some light into the issue from a Mexicanos perspective.

SoCalAl
Alex

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:02 AM

Hola Lee, in answer to your post:

"My impression of the word gringo is race but more so color. My impression, and I've never had someone explain this, is gringo means white. If a brown skinned Mex is born and raised in CA, is he/she a gringo? The same person is Baja, even if it were known they were born/raised in CA, wouldn't be labeled gringo."

That seems correct... Once they know the person of Mexican race is an American... specially one that can't even speak Spanish, then he is called a POCHO!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mil Gracias Al, your posts are always very appreciated because you do them with such authority...

tu amigo (un gringo), David

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:05 AM

thanks Alex a good view. of coarse you know that when you come back to Mexico they will call you Pocho. they have a word for every one here.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:08 AM

One version of defining the word, 'gringo'.

Gringo...This is truly only derogatory in regions of northern Mexico and in the United States where it translates to "white foreigner." Gringo/a in many other countries in Latin America really only translates as "foreigner" without a pejorative connotation. Is generally used to refer to all foreigners/tourists of apparently northern European descent. Some say it comes from Spanish "griego" (meaning Greek) which used to be used to refer to anything foreign. Others say it comes from hearing Americans sing the popular song "Green Grow the Rushes" (unlikely though). Yet others believe it comes from when soldiers were in South America and they all wore green outfits, and they would say, "Green Go."

And so it goes...as the thread churns. Good fun with morning coffee.

SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 09:29 AM

Bruce,
Unfortunately for me they don't call me pocho, I have a nopal (cactus) face and look totally Mexican and thus am treated like any other Mexican. Hmmmm that has it's advantages though. In America I am treated like a Mexican when I go anywhere, people don't even think I speak English, I guess the mustache and goat-tee give it away hey, heehehe...
:cool::cool::lol:
The only time that my true identity is given away is when they see the car I drive with Cal plates on it. Otherwise I blend in pretty well, ohh I am supposed to huh.?:lol:
Hey this is some neat stuff here but honestly in I agree with Summanus that it is mostly in the norther regions of Mexico with emphasis on the border and tourist towns that the term Gringo is used in a negative way or at all. Guerito is more common in ranchos and pueblos and being blond or white is a sacred thing in Mexico.;D

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 10:21 AM

Good post, Alex...hey, a handsome moustache and goatee will win you friends every time. I should know, cuz I wear them, too. By the way, I think I spotted you on I-15 cruising up to Escondido the other day. You were in that boss 50 Packard, right? Nice ride.

I, too, am called a slang name now and then for belonging to a certain group...I am a 'cheeser'...anyone know where this slang comes from? Hint: I am not a Packer fan.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.