BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Telephone Changes ??
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 07:55 PM
Mexican Telephone Changes ??

Having been away for the weekend and then down and out with the Flu for four days, I may have missed any discussion of the impending telephone dialing changes in Mexico, but I just ran across them on the www.sanfelipe.com.mx website and thought I'd mention it.

In addition to numerous dialing changes, it appears that the calling rates for calls within Mexico have gone up quite a bit. The changes are covered in detail on said San Felipe website.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 08:05 PM

also as of today cell phone charges will not be put on your regular telmex phone bill when some one calls you on a cell.

there are going to be lots of changes coming up.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
In addition to numerous dialing changes, it appears that the calling rates for calls within Mexico have gone up quite a bit. The changes are covered in detail on said San Felipe website.

Only thing I saw about rates had to do with calls to Cell Phones - Please point me to the reference to other calls. Not that I make calls to places other than San Felipe or Mexicali but I like to stay informed.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 08:40 PM
Call Charges

I suppose my language was a little imprecise regarding the charges and I assumed (always dangerous) that anyone interested would get the details from the website info. I didn't mean to infer that Landline Charges had changed since I haven't a clue as to what they are. Like most people who live outside the immediate San Felipe area, I don't think in terms of landlines. ALL of my calls within Mexico are made from my Telcel phone and 90 % of those go TO another Cellphone.

Sorry for any confusion.

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by MrBillM]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 08:54 PM

Here in Telnor country, I've always had charges to cell phones on my landline bill. It's just that the rate of charge is going up.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:07 PM
pretty simple, "El que llama paga"

It was not today, but officialy takes effect as of tomorrow, November 4th and it's pretty simple; In México whoever makes a call to a cell phone that person (phone making the call) pays for the call, it's refered to as "El que llama paga", but it did not apply to long distance calls, when the person making the call was charged for the long distance call and the person receiving on a cell was charged the cell call and you would dial for example :La Paz 01 long distance national, 612 La Paz area code and the cell phone number 7 digits. Now as of NOV 04 2006 to make a long distance call to a La Paz cell you have to dial 045 612 and the 7 digit cell number. It will be like making a call to a local cell using 044 but now for long distance it will be 045, pretty simple, now the person receiving the call in his cell in La Paz will not be charged.
Maybe someone should start a baja radio show where these type of questions can be answered also? Someone with up to date info transmitting direct from México?
saludos
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:16 PM

This is all referred to as "calling party pays". For the past few days, when someone calls a Verizon cell phone in our area (Ensenada) they are getting a recording first in Spanish then in English that tells them that as of 11/4 they have to dial 1 after dialing 52 --- but when they call our Verizon phone they are not dialing 52. Verizon told our friend who called them about it that Verizon is having a problem with the provider here...hope our phones still work tomorrow!

Here is a translation of what Telmex sent its clients:
"TELMEX informs clients that by a government disposition, starting at 0:00 hours on November 4, the system “The caller pays” will start, for National Long Distance cell phones as well as for incoming calls from abroad to a cell phone from México.

Starting on that date, for dialing to National Long Distance cell phones, the 01 should be substituted for 045; for incoming calls to México from abroad the number 1 should be added after the code for the country, for México its 52.

With this new method, the destination cell phone number will be able to receive calls without any charge, since the person making the call will take the charge that before November 4 was paid by the destination number. This means that, the origin number will generate a savings to the destination number, therefore, the authorized fee for the Federal Telecommunications Board for calls from fixed phones to National Long Distance cell phones will be for $3.48 IVA (15%) included

045 its added in this way to this system “The caller pays local” (044) which applies to cell phone calls from the same city or town. With the system 045 “The caller pays” is extended to long distance cell number calls to another city or town, but not to a cell of the same location, even if the caller is outside the area.

The operation “The caller pays national” represents a savings only for the owner of the cell phone being called. Telmex does not obtain a benefit from this new system."
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:38 PM
YES. you got it

;D
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 09:52 AM
Telmex Benefits ?

An article in Sunday's Los Angeles Times discusses the impact of the new Cellphone regulations and the impact that will be felt by Mexicans in the U.S. calling home to Mexican Cellphones due to the surcharge being added to each call. In that article, they seem to infer that the surcharges go into Mexican service providers coffers.

???

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.