Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican Citizenship
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:29 PM
Mexican Citizenship

Does anyone have experience taking the Mexican citizenship test? What types of questions are asked? How many questions? How long does it take? Is time limited?
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 09:49 PM

How are you aquiring your citizenship?
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:09 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. There are a number of ways in which a US citizen can qualify for and acquire Mexican citizenship, one of which includes having had an FM3 for 5 years.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. There are a number of ways in which a US citizen can qualify for and acquire Mexican citizenship, one of which includes having had an FM3 for 5 years.

Better check that a little further. Just having an FM3 for 5 years only allows the non-mexican born to qualify for an FM2. After having the FM2 for 5 years then that same person can obtain Migrante status.

This is not Mexican Citizenship, only permission to live in Mexico.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 07:44 AM

there are some lawyers you can hire to get it for you and you take no test and only need to have FM3 for a couple months.

don't ask me there names, you can find out easy enough

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

elchinero
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 07:59 AM

losfrailes
is correct
FM3 5 years
FM2 5 years
= no longer an "illegal" (joke)

A retired investor, living on a pension
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 08:05 AM

here is some more info for you to read..

http://www.mexperience.com/liveandwork/immigration.htm

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 08:08 AM

I'm afraid Bruce is correct, and if you have the money I will furnish you the name of a Lawyer.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 08:36 AM

After five years with an FM3, you can apply for naturalization.

Too bad we cant revive the thread from a couple of months ago which went through this thoroughly. Does anybody know how to find that?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 08:43 AM

OK ... I found it.
The Baja Questions And Answers Forum.
The subject was started by Oso on 9-13.

This will tell you a lot, Marla.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:02 AM

We had a recent visit from old friends, like us; a gringo/Mexican couple. He retired 12 yrs ago and is still on Fm2, she's Mex citizen with US green card. They live in Hidalgo on the mainland. He recently considered becoming a Mexican Citizen as they are not planning to live anywhere else until checkout time. A trusted attorney advised him that this was not the best of times for such a move. U.S./Mexico relations are becoming "sensitive". Previously, the U.S. ignored such status and Mexico did not even bother to report it to the U.S. But now, while it may not cause you to lose U.S. citizenship, it will get you on a State Dept. "list", the purpose of which is not stated. Also, aside from voting, there is almost nothing he can't do with his current status. Getting old ain't much fun but in Mexico there is some compensation in a great number of discounts for seniors (and students). Almost everything to do with travel is 1/2 off, and anything federal is often free (inc. healthcare). In the D.F., the buses and metro etc. are free for seniors and no one asks about citizenship. Someone else dealing with citizenship recently may have a different experience. I'm just relaying what my friend said.

Another not directly related thing he said about travel here in the U.S. troubles me greatly and I would like to hear from anyone in the Tucson area that can shed light on this. While traveling with grandkids recently, he was informed at a Tucson motel that, by law, no one could register for a room without photo ID's of everyone in their party, including kids. The ID's were to be photocopied and retained for six months "in case the police wanted to see them". This apparently had nothing to do with their citizenship status but was required of everyone. This disturbed my friend as he is concerned with the issue of identity theft. I don't recall anything like this the last time I was in Tucson but that was more than a year ago. In fact, I don't recall being asked for anything but a credit card in any U.S. hotel ever. Does anyone know anything about this?

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:07 AM

Last time I was there, they asked for a credit card and wanted to see a photo ID but simply looked at my driver's license and returned it. This may be a hotel by hotel policy thiing.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:18 AM

I had to produce an ID for my wife at a motel, in California, I believe. Only once. But other motels have asked for names for their records. That's a new requirement too. But don't worry, it's just another emerging facet of our Brave New World.
sayonara

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:30 AM

losfrailes:
Marla is right. After 5 years with an FM3, you can choose to move on to an FM2 or can apply for your citizenship.

The FM2 is for those who do not wish to become Mexican citizens, but still wish to reside in Baja for more than the original 5 years covered by the FM3.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:31 AM

Oso --
It would probably scare us to death if we knew what changes in procedure Homeland Security has implemented. I occasionally stay overnight at the VA in La Jolla. It's called "lodgeing" and is extended to vets who have an appointment but live too far away, 100 miles is the rule, to keep it without unreasonable travel time, such as having to leave home at midnight to make an early AM appointment. I've been doing this for years but recently, things tightened up with the VA and I had to present proof of residence in Mexico. They explained the new requirement was ordered by Homeland Security.
I used electric bills and my lease as evidence of domicile and the office pin-heads weren't going to accept it because it was all written in Spanish. Amazing thing about them Mexicans. They do have a tendency to write in Spanish.
Long story short, I have a hefty history with VA health care as well as disability. All I had to do was mention suicide and everything changed. All of a sudden Spanish was OK and I was cleared to spend the night.

I dont know what any of this has to do with anything but I just felt like talking.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:41 AM

I have taken the test and it is 2 pages long and ask very interesting questions like what does your family think of you becoming a Mexican citizen, and questions like that that take alot of time to answer...about why you want to become Mexican, what you like about the culture and as well 3 stanzas of the national anthem. There is no time limit, it took me nearly 3 hours and I wrote volumes...in spanish of course. But if you have the funds I highly recommend a lawyer to assist you...it seems lots of folks who just do it themselves don't get it and lawyer assisted applications do get it which ends up costing you the same. I know a very good english speaking lawyer in La Paz who does FM3's and Nationalizations etc. His name is Alonso Lopez and his email is lopezlermajuan@yahoo.com.mx and I can U2U his phone # if you want it...he's a good and honest guy. Good luck

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I would like to hear from anyone in the Tucson area that can shed light on this. While traveling with grandkids recently, he was informed at a Tucson motel that, by law, no one could register for a room without photo ID's of everyone in their party, including kids.

When I managed the motel in Tucson, yes everyone (registered) has to have ID, but not kids w/parents, and when I transfered back and managed the motel in Oceanside, CA, same rule applied. Then at the marriott property in San Diego same thing.
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
The ID's were to be photocopied and retained for six months "in case the police wanted to see them".

I never heard about the copies.
saludos
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 06:51 AM

I think the photo requirement in Tucson is a city ordinance. Making copies I am not sure is a part of it.
Julie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 12:04 PM
naturalization

Marla,
Shari is correct. I took the naturalization test this year. I had an FM3 for 5 years and an Fm2 for 3 years. You CAN take the naturalization test after 5years of an FM3. The test (taken in La Paz) was two pages of essay type questions as Shari decribed, they want to establish your command of the spanish language and your reasons for wanting to naturalize. The 3 stanzas of the anthemn is a fill in the missing words. They also chat with you for a bit before , again I believe to establish your command of spanish. The entire process was pretty easy (I was in and out in 45 minutes).

One thing to note which is not indicated in the info at www.sre.gob.mx, is that YOU CAN ONLY APPLY AND TAKE THE TEST WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF YOUR RENEWING YOUR FM3 OR 2.
I have also heard of attorney's who can get the test waived, but I decided to do it legit. Wouldn't we have a fit if that were allowed in the states?
u2u me if you want more information.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 03:42 PM

Shari & Julie are both right I have just talked to a person that does this process and was told that no matter who you have do it you will have to take the test. You can shorten the time with the representative going to Mexico City (Which you have to pay for, but in the end it ends up at immigration and they will test you. The person that I would contact for: Property Management Bank Trust-fidocomisos, title search, Immigration FM-2 FM-3, Real Estate Agent.

Alonso Lopez
Tel' 612 125 5257
cell 044 612 142 9590
Email alonsobaja@prodigy.net.mx

[Edited on 11-6-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.