Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Headed North for Christmas
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 02:43 PM
Headed North for Christmas

Due to ridiculous airline ticket prices from Loreto,have decided to take the bus to Tijuana. Does anyone know how to get from Tijuana bus depot to San Diego (SAN) airport? Detailed info would be greatly appreciated,as we have never done this before,never crossed at Tijuana,or been to San Diego. Thanks
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 03:28 PM

They (TJ airport) actually has a shuttle that will take you there. TJ airport is very close to the Otay crossing, and then Hwy. 905 west to I-5 North to the airport. Distance from Otay to San Diego Airport is about 17 miles maximum.

Also, getting a Taxi from TJ airport to Otay crossing will be simple, not completely sure about Taxi's waiting at US side of border to take you from there. Could always call Yellow Cab in San Diego 619-234-6161 to get you to the airport.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 03:33 PM

You can get a Greyhound from TJ bus depot to the border at San Ysidro, then catch the Tijuana trolley to downtown San Diego. Should be a bus or shuttle from there to SD Airport. (My wife has done this several times but catches the train to Santa Ana in downtown SD, not a bus)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 03:43 PM

A couple of years ago the ABC terminal was walking distance from the border, and ditto to the trolley. There is a stop adjacent to the airport. It would be a short cab ride from there.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 03:58 PM

http://gototijuana.com/mexicoach/
http://www.bajasundog.com/bajatrans.html (turn speakers down) but nice!!!

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 04:01 PM

Does the long distance ABC go to the border terminal?

If so, and I think it does, how much luggage are you carrying?
If you dont have much, do what vgabndo suggests. You dont want to be carrying a lot of bags from the station to the crossing. It's kinda tricky, going through the lanes of car traffic and all.

I would get off the trolly downtown San Diego at the Amtrak station. Grab a cab there. Might even be an airport shuttle parked outside.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 04:33 PM

My wife catches a Greyhound shuttle at the ABC terminal that takes her to the border with her luggage. Then walk across and grab the Trolley to the Amtrak station.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 05:04 PM

just my opinon....

Steve you're going to torture yourself....

Leave the best winter weather to go to MN at christmas...yuk

Long bus ride...Crossing at TJ with bags...Train....Taxi....yukk!!

Spend the money and FLY!!!
You can't take it with you....just my opinion...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 05:06 PM

Bajalou ---

From which terminal? I've travelled in and out of the border terminal but have never seen a Greyhound there. The other terminal is way east in Tijuana and is, by far, the larger of the two.
Again, I just havn't seen a Greyhound at the border terminal, but..........
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 05:11 PM

She goes from San Felipe on ABC via Mexicali. I don't think it's the border terminal. But she tells me there is a Greyhound Shuttle from there to the border.

No Bad Days

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 05:24 PM

do your self a favor and make a set of goggle maps :light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 06:16 PM
from border to sd airport

is a cinch. we have done it regularly; my husband now does it for business travel.

the main thing is to get the abc bus to the border--la linea. if you cannot get one to la linea from loreto, then as soon as you get to the main depot in tijuana, get on a bus to la linea. or, from loreto get bus to ensenada from where you can definitely get a bus to la linea.

once you arrive at the border, if you are close to the line, it's just a couple of minutes to walk through customs and go out the door where you will see the san diego trolley. purchase your ticket (2.50 american) and take trolley to american plaza. it is a 45 minute ride. at american plaza, find bus stop that says airport. i believe you want bus #992 (but the sign is fairly straightforward and informative). hold on to your trolley ticket, as it is a transfer for this bus. the bus gets you to sd airport in less than 15 minutes.

if the line is very long and you are way back from the border when the bus drops you, there'll be lots of guys offering to get you on a bus that will drive you up closer for 5 or 10 dollars (depending how far back you are). unless you are travelling very light and have all the time in the world, take advantage of this offer...

it really is amazingly easy to get to the airport. again, the trick is to get the bus to la linea. if you get to downdown main bus station for abc, then find a way to get bus from there to la linea.

hope that is clear. feel free to u2u me if you have any questions.

lili
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 08:44 PM

Sylens...I thought I had done good research, when I thought of traveling by bus, but this is really great. I assume you can do this in reverse too?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 11:58 PM

i only did it once 2 yrs ago and it was easy loreto by bus to the termanal in tj shuttle right to the customs stand out the other end of customs on the shuttlle again to with in a block of the little red train to san diego amtrack no problemo

jerry and judi
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 04:45 AM

What is ABC bus? I have not taken bus in Baja. Is that a premier class?

Our daughter will be going other way, San Diego airport to Ensenada and then back.

Thanks,
Iflyfish
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 06:38 PM
yup

can do it in reverse. bus to american plaza where trolley is picked up stops right in front of the san diego airport terminals.

abc is autobuses de baja california. most of the time they are fairly clean (though not as well cared for as buses in the interior of mexico) and the trip from tj to ensenada includes a movie. most movies are in english with spanish subtitles. :lol:

it really is amazingly convenient and inexpensive, compared to what you spend on gas, wear and tear on car, on your body and soul, tolls, etc.:bounce:

lili
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 07:44 PM

This is great..one of the draw backs if I end up retired in Mulege is I will still be on call for emergency consolation to solve design errors and they agree to fly me back and forth.
Our choices from Mulege are terrible. I think the bus will be faster and I don't have to worry about to do with my Jeep, not to mention the cost out of Loreto. I think I would bus to SJD first. How long is the bus ride to TJ from Mulege? Cost? I know it is cheap.

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:31 AM

Help?

Albert G

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:33 AM

This search may help, Al G.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=search

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:43 AM

Summanus...Funny guy.:lol::lol: I know where the search button is and have used it extensively. Both to help myself and many others.:moon:

Albert G

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.