Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: mike humfreville has passed away
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 08:59 PM

A better salute no man could have.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 09:11 PM

Saludos, Miguel, que le vaya bien. Tu amigo, ++Ken++
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 09:43 PM

We are very sorry to learn of this news. Our thoughts are with Mary Ann.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 09:58 PM

:no:

We are speechless.

Our hearts go out to the whole family.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 10:27 PM
MH

Granite Springs
2004 Estate
Zinfadel
Fair Play

We spent a few days this spring attempting to determine which would be our Zin of choice for the coming year. After a besotted weekend my wife and I stumbled into this winery in the western foothills of the northern sierras and this was it. A few cases were bought and 'put away'.

This fall I made a trip to Bahia de los Angeles for a week with my oldest son and his friend and in planning, MH e-mailed me and made sure that I knew I was welcome to visit his and MA’s new home. While packing, I tossed a bottle into my bags to give as a house-warming.

Day 3 at Gecko I hear talking coming from Jay’s house: Doc, Jay, BB, MS and MH yell at me to come over. I grab the bottle and walk over to give to Mike and Mary Ann for the housewarming. Mike says he has quit drinking much anymore but when we come over later he’ll open it.

We get busy fishing and stuff and 3 or 4 days go by – I’m sitting at Jays when MA and MH drive up in Vaca Blanca making sure we will visit that evening as his kids are going home the next day. We spend a wonderful evening eating clam chowder while discussing the best places for clams, jaw fish holes, why the wind blows where it does, how to fix Mexican tiles installed over springy wood floors, while I drink most of said Zin.

Next day my son says he left his hat at the Humfreville’s and just then MH and MA drive up, Mike wearing the hat and flipping me a bird –you know, the kind that guys do when they’re having fun. I can still see him and MA leaning on the patio wall, wrapping up the visit as we are leaving the next day. We shake hands and Mike says, “I had a sip of that wine after you left and it was pretty substantial”.

After I saw Bernie’s confirming post, I went right to the Zin, and have spent the last few hours thinking about the best places for clams, jaw fish holes, why the wind blows where it does, and why some people die before they should. I can get clams anytime I want, jaw fish too (although why Mike bothered with those greasy things I haven’t a clue), and I don’t need a weatherman – but that last one is tough.

Jim
PS: By-the-way Mike – I think “Steel on Cobblestones” was your best one.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:16 AM

first meet him at Ms bbbbs years ago,been friends since. a great guy with a great feel for life he will be missed. . adios mike!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:20 AM

Mary Ann and family,

You have our deepest sympathy.

Bob and Susan Frambes

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:30 AM

Mike was simply a fine man. We will miss him dearly. Tom and Paula

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:40 AM

A month or so back, someone here posted a link to a collection of Mike,s essays. I read and enjoyed them, then, lost the link. Does anybody know where that may be? I would like to read them again. I never met Mike but, through his writing I'm able to feel that I knew him in a way.

Thanks .... Dennis
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:45 AM

In some far off land where a man is measured by his humanity, Mike Humfreville reigns supreme. It is fit his end came as a soft landing; some small payback I suppose for making us all look at ourselves a little closer. I chided him a time or too for being too sensitive, too goofy over things he saw in pebbles or clouds or people but (through the internet) I could feel the smile on his face as he looked at my words with a little pity, wishing I could see what he saw.

Those of us whose lives Mike touched can now honor this gentle teacher by being just a little more human. I’ll go first.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 07:54 AM

Mike's writings on Fred's board;

http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/Correspondents/BajaWithMik...
jmcleod

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:00 AM

I am a longtime friend of Mike Humfreville and his family. Mary Ann called on Saturday to report the bad news that Mike had passed away. She said that he had been feeling really bad and that they finally located a visiting doctor in Bahia de Los Angeles and that the doctor told them that they had to get Mike to a hospital right away. They took him by ambulance to San Quintin. For some reason Mary Ann could not accompany him in the ambulance and since it was nighttime it was too dangerous for her to drive alone so she waited and drove up on Sunday morning. When she arrived at the hospital they told her that Mike had suffered a heart attack about 40 minutes after they brought him in and that they were unable to revive him. His children, Mike and Kevin, left immediatly for San Quintin and I believe they are there now. Also, another long time friend of the family, Barsam Diradoorian went to San Quintin to be with Mary Ann on Monday morning. I expect to hear from Barsam later today and will pass along any other information that I get.

Keep Mary Ann and boys in your thoughts and prayers.

John McLeod
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
A month or so back, someone here posted a link to a collection of Mike,s essays. I read and enjoyed them, then, lost the link. Does anybody know where that may be? I would like to read them again. I never met Mike but, through his writing I'm able to feel that I knew him in a way.

Thanks ....

Dennis

Link to Fred's Board: Fred has compiled all of Mike's stories: I recommend you scroll down to "Steel on Cobbles" - my favorite.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:05 AM

Osprey, I swear that is the best thing you ever wrote. It sure looks like Mike did enter your heart, as he did mine, he inspired me to say the best of me many a time.

MaryAnn, I was trying to hold out for your comments before making my own, but alas for the moment as come, I can wait no longer to wish happy trails to Mike who sent me on many a journey of inner thoughts. Don Miguel, I will not forget you, thank you for the insperations!

Mija, without a doubt your present pain and shock outway your joy of lifes journey with this fine man. I am so sorry for your broken heart, may it heal in not too long a time, and the joy of your smiles togeather bring you back to happier days with someone I am sure you loved as much a life itself. I am so, so sorry for your moment of most profound pain.
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:14 AM

A huge loss for Baja Nomads. My prayers and thoughts are with the family.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:50 AM

WE never met, but through his writings I knew him.
Will miss the moments when he touched one's soul.
And my sympathy goes out to his wife and his family, who must be desperate over the sudden loss.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 08:58 AM

Mike and his family found a freedom in Baja that only a few will ever know. He shared this with each of us through his writings and that huge smile of his. A c-cky and yet sensitive sole.

Quote by Osprey---"Those of us whose lives Mike touched can now honor this gentle teacher by being just a little more human. I’ll go first."..........................I can only say, I will try!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 09:08 AM
"Baja with MIke"

I have placed these gems in my fvorite file to be relished, again, and again, as the days go by.

Better feelings and thoughts are hard to find.

jettygirl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 09:26 AM

As a newbie, I read a few of his latest posts and always smiled ....
My thoughts go out to all who knew him in the flesh as well as
folks, like myself, who smiled in the wake of his words.

\" If your lucky enough to live by the sea .....
Your lucky enough\"
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 09:44 AM

I exchanged several U2U's with Mike before my recent trip to BDLA and he invited me to stop by and introduce myself while in town. Well, I didn't - I apologized (U2U again) that the time got away from me and he graciously extended the invitation until, well, anytime.

Lesson learned by me. :(
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.