Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What affect will the Democratic Victory have on Baja
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 12:58 PM
What affect will the Democratic Victory have on Baja

Kudos to Bajbus and his Crew! They did a good Job in bringing out the Vote for their Party.

Would it be possible to have a "Good" Discussion about the effects it will have on Baja, if any?

Interest Rates?
Border Fence?
Border Safety?
Current Investments ?
NAFTA?
Exchange Rates?
DOPE Problems?
Fishing?

Skeet/Loreto
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:08 PM
Uh-oh

Before this totally civilized and productive conversation even begins, let me be the first to say...Bob H., I agree with everything you're about to say.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:21 PM

My wife threatened me with Pacifico withdrawal if I did not delete any political responses I may or may not have made. :rolleyes: So...with firm conviction, I can say...that without a doubt....I have NO opinion on this.

Is the beer cold yet, hon?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:40 PM

Skeet, I'm not going to bite on this one, other than to say that knowing your politics it is a gracious post and I thank you.

Sorry we never hooked up while you were in Loreto. Time flies and connections just didn't get made. But we'll meet again someday.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:49 PM

Anything that changes the status quo will improve relations between the U.S and the world, including Mexico.
I am a conservative to my bones but, I so welcome a new light at the end of the tunnel. [ no reference to alternative ports of entry ]

Screw Rumsfeld ... what an A-Hole. He's gone like a flushed turd.

Viva renewed U.S. / Mexico relations. Our new congress and their new president have another chance.
Lets all hope for the best.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:02 PM

well it might wipe out the big land rush in Baja Ca. when the economy goes to hell in the USA

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:19 PM

Hopefully the fence idea will get shelfed.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:20 PM
Bruce

When did you become a Prophet? Perhaps I will again afford to buy in Baja in a few years.

Please note that I am making no comment on recent events outside of Baja.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:28 PM

Skeet your civility makes Nancy Drew appear like a shrew. I commend you.

You know I am a progressive, and welcome the change. I hope we will get some good honest information to help us understand the change of mind among Americans which brought about this conversion. I sincerely hope that this is the dawn of renewed bipartisan dialogue.

I'd like to think that the middle class spoke up. I'd like to think that the big corporations will have to start paying their fair share of the taxes, and that things will improve economically for the middle. That should improve things for Mexico because I think tourism has suffered from the recent economic losses to the middle classes.

It seems pretty clear that America has suffered a serious loss of status in the world community. If a change of political attitude can restore our standing, and make America less frightening, I think our welcome in Mexico will likely become warmer.

I'd love to see some cooperative effort made to help the Mexican people who rely on fishing for their living to continue their lifestyle without destroying the resource. The left has historically been more friendly to the environment, perhaps something can been done to help the SOC as part of the acceptance of our role in the global picture.

I hope. I always have hope! :coolup:

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 05:20 PM

A very civil discussion, so far, on a potentially volatile subject.

I think the new congress will have its hands full trying to put our own house in order and stopping the blood-letting. So I doubt that there will be any perceptible changes in the areas that Skeet lists with the exception of the border fence. Maybe that waste of money can be better spent by overhauling our immigration laws, and putting greater responsibilities and penalties on the employers. Also, better cooperation from the Mexican government can result through better diplomacy. Any positive effects on Skeet's/our Baja concerns could eventually be inadvertent, due to the United States reinstatement of it's standing as a respected world leader. That remains to be seen.

A possible result of bi-partisan cooperation between Democrats and Republicans could be the enactment of Bush's "Guest Workers Program". (That is probably the only idea of Bush's that I have ever agreed with). We do need their labor and their migration could be monitored and thereby controlled. A national minimum wage could help here too.

That's the way I see it. My opinions are certainly not absolutes. They can be agreed with, wholly or in part. They can also be refuted. I take no offense.:wow:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 05:30 PM

"Our new President another chance", because he is pushing for cooperation(Bipartisism) with the Democrats, just laying the groundwork for blaming the Democrats for not going along with his proposals! Just my take, hope I'm wrong.

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 05:41 PM

Right on toneart, we need their labor. We also need their respect, for our laws and perimeters.
Why wont Mexico give us that?
Perhaps new times and new leaders will discuss these points.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
When did you become a Prophet? Perhaps I will again afford to buy in Baja in a few years.

Please note that I am making no comment on recent events outside of Baja.

Well, this I like.

Common down Bernie and join the rest of us Californians.

It can only get better.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 10:52 PM

Well.... if the people didn't like how the Republicans were doing things and they want the opposite... I guess voting in Dems MIGHT lead to the following (let's pray not):

The lowering price of gas will rise,

Personal taxes will rise,

Prime Interest rate will rise,

The low unemployment we have now will end,

The stock market will drop,

The war will come back to our shores...

So, what effect will this have on trips to Baja... LESS TRIPS TO BAJA!:fire:

What did the Republicans do so wrong???

I like more freedom... more trips to Baja!

God help the U.S.A.:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 11:18 PM

not trying to ruffell any feathers but, big busness, corporations, never have and never will pay taxes.
(people) pay taxes any taxes leveyed too any company are passed on to the consumer,( people)

i seem to remember that a lot of dems are in a greement to building the fence??

jerry and judi
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:15 AM

Skeet thanks for the kudos

What will it bring to baja.....maybe more nekid motersickel pot smokin hippes to skeets neck of the woods....Joking

I'm not going to touch this thread any further. The points made up thread are all good ones.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 01:37 AM

So Far, So Good.
It was not meant as a Troll. I beleive in ALL People, their Actions more than Their Words.

On my recent Trip to Loreto and La Paz, their was an outstanding difference in the Mexican People I contacted with those American and Canadians --The Mexicanos were HAPPY where the Americano/Candadian was very Dull and UNHAPPY!

This , of Course, was from my many years as an OBSERVER of People.

Maybe, just Maybe, the Demorcatic victory will work in a Positive way to bring us closer together as a Country.

Skeet/Loreto
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 05:17 AM

There will be an exodus to Baja no matter what the politics are in the states and that will continue until it turns into what we left. Then we will be looking for the next refuge!
Check out this website to find out that ignorance really is bliss...

http://thehappinessshow.com/HappiestCountries.htm
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 09:14 AM
Changes

I would imagine that the only area in which we might see change (unfortunately) is in the area of Immigration Reform since the DEMS are more closely aligned with GWB's original proposals. On issues where the administration is at odds with the new majority I doubt there would be any movement because there is no way to override a Presidential veto. Keeping 2008 in mind, Bush will make an effort to rebuild the Republican Base so that they have a better chance of getting back into the Winner' Circle.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 01:50 AM

abreojos
Thanks for the link. I have been looking for this site.

Iflyfish
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.