BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Why are Mexicans so happy?
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 07:07 PM

ps im not embaressed at all i speak my mind and seldon stttttttuuuuuttttttttttteeeerrrr
ill thank the vets for that too

jerry and judi
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 07:34 PM

OK Jerry----

Just dont blame the Vets for your inability to spell every word wrong. I know you will achieve this end, with practice.:yes:

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by DENNIS]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 08:41 PM

You know what? You folks have me very confused.
When I wrote this in 2001 I thought I had this thing nailed.

"Expose yourself to a culture that will teach you how to relax and enjoy yourself and those around you. Learn that time is only your friend if its passing adds to your enjoyment of life. Kick back and relax. About thirty minutes into Baja you will notice that the grime of modern life is slowly lifting from your soul...You will begin to smile so talk to these happy people and learn what a gift a true Mexican smile can be."

Simple, Sure but how many Americans/ Canadians really do this? Most of the folks that head to Mexico find a place they love, normally as close to the ocean as possible, build a house, change the area to meet their 'wants' and in the process surround it with walls--to keep the Mexicans out??? (Remember JR ranting about this--that is why he and I were friends)

I kind of think that wishing Mexicans more is saying that they should enjoy life less.

As far as most Americans go it is not what they need so much as what they 'think' they 'want.'

Just look at what most of the people heading into Baja bring with them because they 'need' it.

I used to love to see an old VW bus with a couple of surfboards hanging on it. You know with those silly cafe curtains and that sweet aroma drifting out the window. All those guys needed was some wax, a board and some .............. Now take a look at the Lincoln Navigator pulling a custom trailer with two wave riders, a couple of motorcycles and a quad or three. Not to mention the three or four huge ice chests full of Budweiser and other goodies.

You tell me that they need all of that junk. Na! the old bus filled the real needs.

Like Lee said-- "I know it is not that simple."

And while there are a lot of Americans heading for Baja I sure don't count 10 million of them--and very few of them have to work to fulfill their 'wants.' and the 10 million Mexicans in America are not there to fill their 'needs' but rather their 'wants.'

Simple, not by a mile.

Talk to some of the YoYo's from Mexico City and you will find most Califorian's are really laid back in conparison.

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 10:34 PM
Dennis

I love you too.

I have always called them my Bano books!

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 11:32 PM
Let's be fair

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Most of the folks that head to Mexico find a place they love, normally as close to the ocean as possible, build a house, change the area to meet their 'wants' and in the process surround it with walls--to keep the Mexicans out??? (Remember JR ranting about this--that is why he and I were friends)

Not to keep Mexicans out but to keep trespassers and thieves out. Remember, long before gringos got here Mexicans built walls for the same reason.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 12:16 AM

Thanks Dave for being so bold to state the obvious... Walls are to keep people in or out...

I remember as a kid in the 60's seeing walled communities in Tijuana and other places with broken glass cemented in the top... to keep people from going over the walls.... these were not gringo communites either.

Bad people are everywhere and bad to each other as well to foreigners!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 12:53 AM

Dennis

OK Jerry----

Just dont blame the Vets for your inability to spell every word wrong. I know you will achieve this end, with practice.

i dont recall me blaming anyone for anything
perhaps you should look into your own words??

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:32 AM

Might it be that the inability to understand the Mexican People, is brought on by the inability of the Americans/Canadians to make Rational Judgements about other People??

The Loss of Character, Respect, Love, Kindness, that was at onetime the Foundation of Life in the States has been replaced with "Fear, Cheating, Lying, DOPE, Hate, Anger. Is it no wonder that a Portion of those New People going to Baja, maybe in an Attempt to regain their Respect, but just do not have the basic Qualities of Life to understand another Culture???

Anon The Preacher
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 10:16 AM

Well, I am not sure that I agree with the proposition of a whole nation being happy. But it has been my observation that certain people behave pretty much the same. A generalization might be that their activities determine thier happiness. A city slicker is a city slicker in Hong Kong or New York. A country hick is a hick whether he is from the salad bowl of California or stalking his corn in Peru. The hicks always seemed much 'happier'.

So, if you find yourself taking a water taxi in Hong Kong or walking up to Machu Picchu, the odds are you are more likely to find a hick as a friend than a city slicker.

I like country Baja more than city Baja. But then, even with the tie, I was always a hick.

[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
I like country Baja more than city Baja. But then, even with the tie, I was always a hick.
[Edited on 11-11-2006 by Summanus]

Me too, in a way. Proud to be a hick too even though I don't look like a hick. Doesn't get more hick than Arkansas (Ozarks, that is) (5 years on a farm as a child -- in the middle of nowhere) with a slew of cousins in 'Bama. Definitely doesn't get more hick than that.

Yeah, I can dig the Baja hicks too but only had to choose. Even in Cabo, there's something about the urban people there, who live locally, that every now and then, I'll look at someone hawking their wears on the street, or standing in a doorway, and he'll have a slight smile, and I'll give a small nod, and the communication passes between us.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 03:28 PM

Back to Lee's original question....IMHO, Mexicans are happier because they aren't materialistic like people from the USA & Canada. At times, it seems as though many of them have so little that they are truly & genuinely happy for whatever extra or small (to us) thing that they can get. They see joy in the little things; they sincerely have a totally different set of priorities than we do! For the most part, they care about today & don't worry about what tomorrow may bring. It's a totally different culture & I believe that cultural difference is part of our initial attraction to the Baja, however, it's damn hard to come down here & not attempt to impose our values on them....even if "for their own good" or "to their betterment"....better obviously in our eyes, but rarely in theirs, because our values, priorities & cultural differences are just as great an inherent part of us as theirs are to them. I've lived here full-time for 7 years, and there are some things that still frustrate me....45-60 minutes to cash a check in the bank versus 2-3 minutes at a drive-thru in the states; expecting the majority of cars to actually STOP at a stop sign or red light; a totally different attitude as to what constitutes what we view as good "customer service". It's been hard for me; I came from a fast-paced, highly stressful position in a company with an employee headcount equivalent to the population of La Paz; to meld into the "what's the rush, you'll get it when you get it" mentality that is prevalent here. That admitted, we ARE playing on a Mexicano field, so we need to play by their rules. They are a happy people....let's take a page from their book!! Slowing down & taking time to smell the cactus flowers is something we can all probably benefit from...learn to start appreciating some of the obscure little things that we were too driven to even notice in the culture we come from. Ever think WHY someone came up with the phrase "less is more"! Hmmmmmm....I wonder the nationality of that someone! ;D
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ever think WHY someone came up with the phrase "less is more"! Hmmmmmm....I wonder the nationality of that someone! ;D

Longlegs, although I know you were speaking rhetorically the nationality of the person famous for "less is more" was German. He was referring to complexity of structures in architecture. He and his fellow modernists felt that the more that a building was simplified the more the architect had accomplished.
I think that the expression fits many other aspects of life, especially writing as in me going on in this post to total boredom.

BTW his name was Mies van der Rhoe or as we young architecture students called him "Mies God"

Although Mies was mainly referring to aesthetics the same applies to technical matters.

"System reliability is inversely proportional to parts count."

;D
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
They see joy in the little things; they sincerely have a totally different set of priorities than we do! For the most part, they care about today & don't worry about what tomorrow may bring. It's a totally different culture & I believe that cultural difference is part of our initial attraction to the Baja, ;D

There is an attraction, for me, of family, in Baja. White or brown skin, family is the glue that keeps the culture tied. We use to have that more up North.

I also feel a kinship with both white and brown skinned people that transcends what I have up North. People up here really are busy with stuff.

Then there's the lack of importance around time.

If I had a gripe, and they're too few to mention, Capt. Mike hit it on the head with the fatalistic attitude that some people in Baja have. But it's prevalent on the Mainland too.

Why anyone would pass (in vehicles) going over a hill, around a blind curve, taking very careless chances, is beyond me. I hope to catch somebody one day. They'lll remember that day when I'm done.

:cool:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 09:16 PM

Stickers.....I actually KNEW that was an architectural term, and I agree that it does apply to many other aspects of life....but I DIDN'T KNOW the originator was German! Thanks for learning me sumpin new!:yes::bounce:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2006 at 10:46 PM

You got me! My aunt and uncle lived in a van der Rohe building in Chicago. It was beautiful, but to my knowledge Jerry Brown initiated the phrase. Guess he just borrowed it.

i notice that in Loreto many people find their joy in the sea, the mountains and the critters who live here, and in their families and friends rather than in their achievements and posessions. They know that these are the best of belongings. It amazes me how much a school of dolphin cna delight a pangero who sees one almost every day. Less is definitely much more.

abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 04:23 AM

This topic did not take off on "What affect will the Democratic Victory have on Baja" thread where I posted the link to the study, but it certainly has produced one of the best threads on it's own here.
After living down here for many years and being married to a Mexican, I must say all it takes is seeing a really green gringo coming down here for me to appreciate the simple life no matter how illogical it is. I have always believed in taking the best of what all cultures offer and making that mine. A philosophy that has made the US great! All great philosophers and psychologist state that happiness does not come externally, it comes from within.
I don't always agree with the methods of Mexican madness, but I can appreciate the fact they will probably live longer than I will because of it and most of them really are happy. Sometimes we just plain out smart ourselves!
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:40 AM

While certain places in Baja are tops in our book...another 'who is the happiest' poll puts the people of the mountain nation of Bhutan in Asia as the most happy and contented people on the globe.

Now what makes those guys so happy?

Hmmm...Maybe they don't wonder about Who is happier than Who?

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:47 AM

Maybe they just enjoy what they HAVE, instead of fretting over what they can NOT have.!!
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 07:02 AM

We are on the same wave length, FARASHA.

And sometimes 'less' is indeed 'more' as per this quote by Oscar Wilde:

"Simple pleasures....are the last refuge of the complex."

Maybe finding these 'simple pleasures ' is what attracts the harried and busy to Baja....to unwind, kick back, and smell the tacos.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 07:08 AM

I don't really know why Mexicans might be happier than Americans and I don't really care. I've lived here for 12 years now among those happy Mexicans and I am not a part of their culture -- I have my own culture. I am an observer and I think the core cause for any differences in rural people is that DiTech.com has not yet come to Mexico. None of my Mexican neighbors has a mortgage, almost all Americans can boast a mortgage (even small town folks). Mexicans have to get a lot, buy, beg borrow or steal the building materials and little by little store them and protect them until they can round up people to build the little house. When it is finished there might be several wage earners living under the roof and each can add a little money which will go toward paying for the $5 water bill, the $25 power bill, the $10 propane bill. My wife and I paid cash for our house so are monthly bills are only slightly more than our neighbors -- we pay that from our SS income. I don't think we would smile as much, sleep as well if we knew we had a $1,500 dollar a month mortgage to meet each month forever.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.