Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ayudando cuando puedo
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2003 at 09:39 PM
Ayudando cuando puedo

Some of my best memories of Baja are when things didn't go as planned or not planned but somehow all worked out. Someone always happened to show up and not only save the trip but enhance it. I am sure you all have had that experience, especially in the old days when auto parts stores and supplies were much harder to come by. I had the chance to help a broken down 1967 Volkswagon owner from Arizona this past Saturday 11 miles north of Gonzaga. I was heading home, he was going South. I diagnosed his problem, fuel pump malfunction, and sent him along after teaching him some local appropriate technology. Thanks to Jose "Chorti" Fonseca who taught me more about how to keep cars running in Mexico than could fit in my small brain.
OK, share your stories!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 12:54 AM
Mike Humfreville

Don Jorge,

Having read your post I had to sit thinking about the incidents I could respond with. But, unfortunately, I?ve already written and posted them all between bajanomads, Fred?s board and the old amigos. I?ve told every one of them and at great length. But, on reflection, most of my experiences have been on the receiving end where I was the one being supported. Epifanio introduced me to his Baja early in my life. The folks at San Jose del Castro fed us with information when we were starving, a mechanic at Mulege restored ?La Tortuga? to order after a major crash, Samuel Diaz (el senor, not Samuelito) reset my engine onto its aging mounts many times in the ?70?s for less than deserved for his efforts, the owner of a small store in Santiago directed us to a distant place he found significant. The men of San Rafael patched our tires when we were certainly hurting.

We share stories on this forum daily that we believe in and those, at least some of them, are the hearts of this site.

So, Don Jorge, I?m not certain my response meets the intent of your post. But I do believe in us. All of us. And I do hope we can all be giving enough to help the other who is in need.

As Christmas approaches, this Sunday night, the 21st of December, the Humfreville Household is blessed that the four of us are here and anticipating Christmas. Kevin?s friend Carly is wrapping gifts. That is her need. The four of us are in the computer room after shopping and wrapping. Michael is talking to the computer game he is playing, Kevin is drumming with his fingers and driving the rest of us nuts. Mary Ann is announcing every computer game she has won by doing a ?TAA-DAAAA? moment. And I, of course, am sitting here typing drivel.

Another year has passed and we are getting ready for New Years. Some will find Times Square; we?ll find Camp Gecko.

Love to all and thank you Don Jorge.

Amigo Miguel
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 04:31 AM

One of my favorite Baja memories, just a small thing really, I threw a three day weekend bachelor party for my best friend who was getting married the next weekend. We were in Ensenada; instead of hotel rooms, we rented a fishing boat for two days - complete with hot showers and everything else we could need. We walked to the nearest Gigante supermarket for provisions. Our hunt was a complete success; we had everything we could possibly need, for our boat had a galley complete with refrigerator, coffee maker, pots and pans, and everything else. On the way back to our boat, we encountered some beggar children, which seem to becoming more numerous each year. They saw us walking by and obviously noticed that we had two or three bags of groceries apiece, and they naturally asked if they could have some of whatever we had in our bags. With me feeling the most at home in Mexico of the bunch of bachelor party revelers, I proceeded to converse with the children with my broken Spanish the best I could. I told them that if they could go home and provide some breakfast bowls (tazones/escudillas/bolas ?take your pick) and spoons, (cucharas/cucharitas) I would happily share some of the milk and cereal that we had just purchased.

There we all were. On a curb on an Ensenada sidewalk with at least seven different children, each of us eating out of completely mismatching bowls that the children brought from each of their houses, we feasted on a grand meal of Coco Puffs and low-fat milk. Between what seemed every other bite (which would seem to hurt my mid-aged sensitive gringo teeth) we would share little smiles and giggles that I would not get to know until my own son was born about two or three years later. The greatest thrill was sharing this feeling with my friends who were just getting the biggest kick out of this little moment. One of the little children dragged her mother to the scene, and her mother could sense that this was not merely an act of charity, for I could acknowledge the she knew that we were the biggest benefactors, and we each slowly nodded and smiled at each other. Later, I went back to the Gigante supermercado for some cereal more becoming of adults such as us. But now, every now and then, I will always buy a box of Coco Puffs, even if it hurts my teeth.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 09:00 AM
Generosity

Packo, you and your son will have a blast in Baja. After reading your story I realized I will be the one missing out by not being able to share your company this trip. Hopefully, we will hook up in the future.
I have helped so many people with broken down vehicles in Baja I can't even count the times. And, people have helped me with my broken down vehicle so many times that I can't count them either.
One thing I have learned is that I would much rather have a breakdown here than anywhere in the U.S.

Carol's first trip to south Baja my alternator went out just as the sun went down and we are stuck on the road to Punta Peque?a. Hadn't seen a car in hours and she is nervous. "What do we do" she asks in her semi panicky voice.
"We get out our chairs, make some drinks and set up camp" I reply but before we could even get out the chairs a truck pulls up. We decide it is the alternator so they put their battery in my truck and recharge our battery in theirs as we follow them out to Peque?a.
Spent a few days there ignoring my problem and enjoying the beach.
Another American couple showed up and camped near us and we had some fun together. They were heading north so they followed us out the east road to "Rosarito" recharging our battery every time it died. We didn't make it to Mex 1 until dark so I had an ATC in the back of the truck which I started for use of the tail light and Carol held my big flashlight out the window for our headlight.
We made it to the first camp area heading north and called it a day. Our friends left for home the next morning and I started on the Alternator. A couple locals walk up to see what the problem is and proceed to take out my alternator for me.
Carol and I then ride it in to Mulege on the ATC to have it rebuilt which was done in a few hours. We ride it back to our camp where the guys had made us fresh Ceviche. They then reinstalled my alternator and everything was peachy again.
One of the local guys that helped us was the future Mayor of Santa Rosalia. Think that would happen in the U.S.?
:lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 09:48 AM

Perhaps he'll learn of my gratitude from this if he doesn't already know. I had gotten a boat ride to Isla Coronado from Loreto, with a backpack of camping gear and an inflatable kayak. The island was six miles away, and the gulf smooth as glass. When I arrived at the island, I noticed how close the shore line was - one mile - and told the boat driver not to pick me up as we had planned, but rather, I decided I could paddle the one mile across and meander down the coast back to Loreto. I counted myself lucky, as I had the island all to myself. I enjoyed two nights on the island, and then, as is known to occur, the wind came up overnight, creating waves in the cove where it had been tranquil; and troughs 2 feet deep in the sea. It would be disastrous to try to paddle my inflatable to the coast to return, but I was out of water and was not able to wait out the windstorm. The realization that I was, indeed, alone on the island now became a disadvantage. Being January, I hadn't seen too many boats in the area, and scanned the waters for any sighting. One boat was passing by some 300 yards away, and I waggled my paddle vigorously to catch his attention, and to signal an SOS. Apparently nobody noticed me and the boat sped by. An hour or two passed and I considered by options. Not too many. I packed up all my gear for whatever getaway opportunity arose. Another hour passed. I heard the drone of a boat and was relieved to see that it was headed my way. Again, I began to waggle my paddle, and wave, hoping the fishing boat would come near. The boat began to turn toward the island and I was hoping that this would be my rescue boat. The boat came nearer, and slowed - bobbing some 20 yards out - a pangaman (about 15 years old) with two Russian fisherman. I yelled to him in my best Spanish, "Puede usted tokeme a la costa?" Si, he said, at 2:00 o'clock he would return. This was four hours away, but I now knew I would not be stranded. True to his word, he returned, and I loaded all my gear into panga, including my inflated kayak, because I thought he was going to take me just to the shoreline 1 mile across. Instead, he took me all the way back to Loreto. The dock was busy with his fisherman patrons unloading their gear, as well as my own multiple trips back and forth from the dock to my car. As I was heading back to the boat one last time to thank my savior, I found that he had already began motoring away. He didn't glance back until he was some distance away - I stood on the dock and waved and tried to pantomime my heartfelt thanks and threw him a kiss. He only nodded, as if he rescued loco gringas every day. I'll never forget his kindness, and what has become an inspiration to me to return that kindness as often as possible.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.