Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Paying duty at the border
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 09:04 AM
Paying duty at the border

OK, finally I probably need to declare something. With a legally imported boat in La Paz, I have been able to justify stuff brought down for the boat. Now I am bringing three "Free-to-Air" satellite receivers down for friends who requested them. Not at all a "boat" item. Pretty large receivers, total cost is $500. So I will let my friends pay duty and I'll not be guilty of smuggling. I know the chance of being caught is slim, mordida, etc. But, how about some info on where and how to pay. We always go in the Declaration Lane anyway to get FMTs, so do we just show the receipt and pay the bank? What is the probable amount on $500, Korea is the country of origin.

After over a hundred trips by car, several by boat, building a house etc. I just don't have the experience. Many of you do, so would appreciate some information before we head out in a couple of weeks. Thanks.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:03 AM

Duty is 15%. Go into the customs office if there isn't an agent right there. Have the receipt with you. With 3 of them you might get hassled as they may think you are bringing them in to sell. If all goes well, the agent will complete a form - you pay at the bank counter and go back to customs. They put one of their famous stamps on it and off you go.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:13 AM

Can this be done in Tecate or Tijuana or do you have to go through Otay Mesa?

Also, is there a practical place to park at the Tecate entrance with a small trailer while taking care of importation business?

[Edited on 11-12-2006 by toneart]
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:39 AM

And what about Gas? I know most people don't haul it INTO Mexico, but a friend that is racing has asked me to take 30 gallons down for him...
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 10:49 AM

bbbait,
Check your u2u.

P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:00 AM
No Gasolina

For many years now, it has been illegal to bring additional gasoline into Baja. The first time I was called on it, I had Three 5 Gallon Jerry Cans that I had brought down every trip for Twenty years. When I was stopped, I was told that the law had changed that year and nothing other than a "small" amount for emergencies was allowed. I now carry a 2.5 gallon container and have never been challenged on that. I have had neighbors who were called on their multiple Jerry cans and told they either had to turn back or pay a "fine" (on the spot, of course) to bring them in. Even the Baja race crews had to arrange to purchase their Gas from a Mexican importer.

BTW, when you bring down the multiple receivers and declare them, be sure to tell the authorities that you're bringing them down for Others. I'd be interested in how that conversation goes. Be sure to post the results.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:07 AM

Jack: I have a question on YOUR experience. I'm taking some stuff to repair my skiff, which I leave in Mexico and which this year for the first time will get a Temp. Import. Permit. Do you have any information about documentation of a boat already in Mexico? I'll have a copy of the pink, and the current registration and '07 tags.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bbbait
And what about Gas? I know most people don't haul it INTO Mexico, but a friend that is racing has asked me to take 30 gallons down for him...

No gas into Mexico!!!

I am pitting with Baja Pits (just communications), and at the pit meetings it was made very clear that NO GAS can be brought INTO Mexico for racers or yourself... It must be obtained in Ensenada at the official racing fuel trucks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Can this be done in Tecate or Tijuana or do you have to go through Otay Mesa?

Also, is there a practical place to park at the Tecate entrance with a small trailer while taking care of importation business?

[Edited on 11-12-2006 by toneart]

Depends on the size of the trailer and its load; and who happens to be working customs at the moment you go through. Don't know anything about Tecate but if you have much of a load the folks at San Ysidro may send you to Otay (that's what happened to us).
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 12:02 PM

My experience with the TIP (Tempory Importation Permit) is limited as I imported the boat 8 years ago when we sailed down. I carry copies of the TIP when going down and crossing the border. We took our bow pulpit, stern pulpit and all stancions and lifelines down tied on the top of the truck after Hurricane Marty spanked me. I was stopped and asked about them (did not declare due to the TIP) and showed the TIP paper and was flagged on. I know you can import the boat once you get to La Paz. Our TIP is good for 10 years, so another adventure awaits when we try to reimport it in a couple of years. We also are in a Marina so kind of have some reassurance and help when necessary.
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 06:37 AM

Okay, got the messages on the gas! Glad I checked in. Heading out in about an hour, going to go unload it now. Thanks for the advice...... U2 Paulina..
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 07:22 AM

i was just there at otay wednesday....I imported the gas golf cart

the problem i see...is that you have three and may be considered a dealer for resale

if they send you to a broker the minium fee is $150
the tax this week was 15%

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:05 PM

bob and susan:
did you declare the golf cart or do something other than tow it across the border? we just took ours down on a trailer. no problems. should we have done something else?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 06:54 AM

we are going to use it at the casitas to carry stuff from the main unit to the garage....

too lazy to walk ALL the time:rolleyes:

for us we needed to import the beast to be "legal"

our website is:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 06:52 PM

Re: Tecate crossing.
There is a large dirt parking lot on the US side and 2 or three paid parking lots also.

On the Mexican side, there is a separate lane going into the "declaration" area. I have no experience with what happens or how much space there is back there because I've never had anything to declare. But Ive seen a lot of trucks pulling in and out.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:36 PM

hey mike when did you pickup robin...

our website is:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
hey mike when did you pickup robin...

We met while I was back in WA, renewing my drivers license, on my way to Yellowstone for the summer.

She's also an RV'er, and from Edmonds, WA (just a ferry ride away from Kingston, where I'm from). She was also back in WA to take care of some problems with a renter. Pure coincidence that we even met.

We hit it off right away and she joined me in West Yellowstone, been with me ever since. She's also a outdoors type and loves fly fishing too.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 10:50 AM

Hey Tortuga:

Let's hear it for "Peace, Love and Cut-Throat Trout" :lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
For many years now, it has been illegal to bring additional gasoline into Baja. The first time I was called on it, I had Three 5 Gallon Jerry Cans that I had brought down every trip for Twenty years. When I was stopped, I was told that the law had changed that year and nothing other than a "small" amount for emergencies was allowed. I now carry a 2.5 gallon container and have never been challenged on that. I have had neighbors who were called on their multiple Jerry cans and told they either had to turn back or pay a "fine" (on the spot, of course) to bring them in. Even the Baja race crews had to arrange to purchase their Gas from a Mexican importer.

BTW, when you bring down the multiple receivers and declare them, be sure to tell the authorities that you're bringing them down for Others. I'd be interested in how that conversation goes. Be sure to post the results.

Not sure about the antennas., but I can say for sure, that I crossed the border south the other day at the same time as about 50 trucks with trailers, and their buggies. they all had gas.

So.....

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Dave
Elite Nomad

wink.gif posted on 11-17-2006 at 09:07 PM
Lucky

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
I was stopped and asked about them (did not declare due to the TIP) and showed the TIP paper and was flagged on.

Your TIP doesn't guarantee duty free import. You are required to pre-arrange and document parts to be imported. Most aduanal inspectors know this, some don't and some don't care.

Once, I was delayed 3 days trying to cross a replacement boom. Even tried two different points of entry. No go

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.