BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11
Author: Subject: Duane Curtis; Playa Armenta killing - WAS: Crime in Mulege...
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
We have heard that the beach asked about in connection with this violent crime is Requeson Beach ..which is about 25 miles south of Mulege within the Bay of Conception. Terrible news confirmed, I am sad to say.

Eww, that hits a little closer to home.
I would like to say/think that things will be safe when there are 30+ campers on the beach but ......
Three years ago some banditos came into camp at Requeson and stole a few small items. That's pretty brave. I guess they could almost as easily have done more damage.

I had expected a rise in small time burglery and theft after the floods but not this.

We'll have to keep a close eye on the ever-changing climate.

Maybe add a german shepherd with the 2 labs so we get a little bite with all the bark ?!

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 12:55 PM

Crime has been happening in Mulege for quite awhile. There have been rumors of drug lords and people involved with Meth living there. I say "rumors" because where can you go to get something like that confirmed?....and now this!
This is the first time I have heard of this kind of violence around Mulege.

I think that it is time for the Mexican Government to move the army into all towns. When I was traveling in Guatemala in the '70s you would see soldiers on every street corner, not only in cities, but also in small towns. It initially gets some getting used to, seeing zitty-faced kids in uniforms with rifles, but they did keep a lid on things. They were apparently well disciplined.
Now, I am not talking about violating civil rights, even if it isn't the United States. I am saying that just the presence and visibility of the army would be a deterrent.

As was mentioned before, the police know who the perps are. Wouldn't they feel safer putting the finger on them if they were backed up by the army?

Drug money is a major source of the underground economy. It circulates and supports people, business and Government...many whom are not even directly involved. Our choices, in the US and Mexico are to either back up the "war on drugs rhetoric" or else legalize it. Legalizing it would eliminate the market, or at least put the thugs and gangs out of business. Let the fools who are users kill themselves off.

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by toneart]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 01:42 PM
Be prepared for common theives

I doubt that the perps who harm people will continue their assaults on the popular beaches. Most likely they will return to petty theft.
Always keep an eye on your stuff. Targets include drunken idiots and folks far from camp. Dogs are a good idea. If you can't defend yourself carry mace. Personally, I keep a big heavy tool nearby when sleeping. If camping outside I would recommend that you have something similar.

I just camped for a week on Playa Coyote. It was very nice. Nobody but me and the dog. I watch very closely who comes by. I am suspect of the vendors in the old vans. They seem to be around when no one else is. I shoo them away before they can eyeball my goodies.

Use common sense. I have been ripped off in places like Mallarimo Beach (sp.?)where there wasn't a soul visible for miles.

Three weeks ago my temporary home:

Playacoyote.jpg - 39kB
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 01:51 PM

Looks awesome. I envy you!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:08 PM

Nice front yard! Low maintenance, too.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:14 PM

I think we have camped next to those palms ourselves. Did you find it very hot during the day? What did you do to secure your camp while gone?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:17 PM

I took everything with me everyday. Beautiful weather, low 80's. Some pesky skeeters tho the first few nights!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegeloco
Jesse
Do you remember tree people shooted at La Paz downtown time ago?? Do you know what happened????... me neither. If that happens in La Paz, what could we expect from Mulege with only 8 uniformed policemen.....they will certainly like to have a 3 million people city resources too.....

What happened in La Paz and whats happening in Tijuana is linked to organized crime. In a way i can understand why cops in big cities look the other way, because they can end up dead if they challenge the cartels. But Mulege?? i didnt know there was a Mulege cartel do you?

This means two things to me:

1.-Cops are crooked in Mulege
2.-You can do something about it since theres no powerful forces behind crime there.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:27 PM

What I don't understand is that if tourists from the US or Canada are injured and or murdered, why is it not reported in the US news ---seems like the relatives would report it???

Sure hope it does not continue.

Diane

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:34 PM
this post has been edited by Bruce R Leech under duress.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
What I don't understand is that if tourists from the US or Canada are injured and or murdered, why is it not reported in the US news ---seems like the relatives would report it???

Diane

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by mulegeloco
Jesse
Do you remember tree people shooted at La Paz downtown time ago?? Do you know what happened????... me neither. If that happens in La Paz, what could we expect from Mulege with only 8 uniformed policemen.....they will certainly like to have a 3 million people city resources too.....

What happened in La Paz and whats happening in Tijuana is linked to organized crime. In a way i can understand why cops in big cities look the other way, because they can end up dead if they challenge the cartels. But Mulege?? i didnt know there was a Mulege cartel do you?

This means two things to me:

1.-Cops are crooked in Mulege
2.-You can do something about it since theres no powerful forces behind crime there.

Jesse check your u2u

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:42 PM

Bruce sorry to hear that you have this going on, and that you felt that you should not say something about it. I for one am glad that you did.

As I have said, I am in North Baja in the Rosarito beach area, and things in our area has been pretty calm involving Americans. But the Mexican on Mexican killings has been out of control, so we all know that this could move into americans getting hurt.

So with that in mind, the only thing that I would sugguest to people, is steppin up your own security. Make sure that all your outside lights work, and maybe put in some motionsnesors on them. And the biggest thing, is strongly consider getting a dog. It is amazing how many bad guys will walk away from a place with a dog.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

Diane

unless the families of these people go to the Medea how are they going to find out

I don't understand why the familes don't report it. Yes, it would not do tourism in Baja any good, but maybe it would shake things up a little. When the family of the famous Natalie who disappeared in Aruba refused to give up, the news was all over Aruba for a very long time. Then again, it might just make things worse----don't know, just speculating.

When we get down there the next time, I hope to stop by and meet you.

Diane

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 03:02 PM

Times have changed. We get emails in the summer with lists of people who got burgled. A bedside armed robbery, too. Last winter, according to a Mexican friend with friends downtown, a tourist couple was robbed at a beach south of town at gunpoint, and they lost their truck and all their stuff.

At a recent meeting, a city representative claimed that burglars could not be convicted and jailed unless caught in the act. I wonder, will that be true for more serious crimes?

The look and feel of the town has certainly changed. Different faces with different looks, people clearly from other places, many young men here without family.

Yeah, it's about money, but I don't think it's the drug cartels' greed that's driving the changes here.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 03:06 PM

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 03:35 PM

Thats incredible considering that LA is the same size as Mulege. :barf:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 03:37 PM

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
that's 1460 robberies a year???

that would mean 1/2 the population gets robbed every year

i don't think so

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Bob and Susan]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

use this info how ever you can to protect yourself and family from harm

this post will probably be Deleted soon so keep the thread going

:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 05:19 PM

What's happening here??????
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.