BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  11
Author: Subject: Duane Curtis; Playa Armenta killing - WAS: Crime in Mulege...
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 05:44 PM

Bruce sounds really scared. I hope he is OK. "Under duress" could mean anything from wishing he had never posted it in the first place, to editing at gunpoint.

In his first post in this string, he indicated he couldn't say more or go into detail. When some newby asked Bruce to give his location, I posted "better ask in private...U2U. Then Bruce goes ahead and posts his location for the whole world to see. I don't get that.

Now, how are we who have homes, families and friends there going to find out what happened and is happening? Somebody knows. Please post it anonymously. I also would like a U2U but don't want to sit on the info. I would like everyone who has legitimate concerns in Mulege to know what is really happening.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 05:55 PM

This is a silly discussion -- people seem to be posting lots of stuff about a secret happening. Have some balls and post a story, or scip the scare tactics.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:17 PM
Mr Goat

Silly would hardly be the correct adjective. If you understood the potential gravity of printing bad news directed at crooks or thugs or bad cops in a small town, then you might realize that good intentions are not always met with open arms. Quite the opposite I venture to guess with this thread. Please don't misunderstand Bruces' appeal to folks connected to Mulege. His intentions are/were for our benefit. It is a sticky situation to say the least. Perhaps dangerous.

Comprende?
KLR650

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 06:48 PM

While a BajaNomad newby, I am a long time Mexico traveler. I feel concern, not panic about these incidents in Muleje. I am going by motorcycle to Mexico in March and plan to stay some time in Muleje. Further information on this incident, areas to avoid and progress on this crimes investigation would be helpful to me and many others planning on travel south. Keep this going or u2u me.
Thank You
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:04 PM

Maybe he is under duress from some nomads with vested interests$$ rather then the safety of others.:?:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:21 PM

bancoduro i think that was a very unfare asumption he put it out there

jerry and judi
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Maybe he is under duress from some nomads with vested interests$$ rather then the safety of others.:?:

That was one of the most asinine comments you've made!!! Try putting yourself in his position! He had the guts to post current information that needs to be made public, knowing full well that he could be putting himself & his family at risk. He said up front that it might be posted just for a short time. Obviously he had reason to feel he needed to disassociate himself from the topic. Try to have the common decency to respect his decision, both in his original post AND it's removal. :mad:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:03 PM
Thanks Legs

for stating the obvious. When it comes to dirty ill-earned money Bancodrool knows the score.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:09 PM

Why have everyone igonred this statement by Bruce????"this post has been edited by Bruce R Leech under duress." Repeated several times!!!!

Does that not tell even the....oh crap.....of you that, perhaps he can not post as freely as he wishes.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
This is a silly discussion -- people seem to be posting lots of stuff about a secret happening. Have some balls and post a story, or scip the scare tactics.

By silly, I might agree that there is alot of drama here. The happening alluded to here isn't all that secret.

Showing restraint and maturity would only reflect on your wisdom. Respect Bruce's wish to not post on this subject right now.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 09:24 PM

I'm not sure what's more distressing........the crimes committed or the fact that persons would threaten Bruce to the point of duress for revealing it.

Not good for Mulege, either way..............
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I'm not sure what's more distressing........the crimes committed or the fact that persons would threaten Bruce to the point of duress for revealing it.

Not good for Mulege, either way..............

Thats what I tried to point out at the beginning of this thread - it's not the crime itself that angers me - it's the fact that People get threatened for making it public.
And it was a brave act that Bruce did it - a high risk, and I respect his removals/editings if done on free will.
My concerns are now - is he now SAFE? Or has someone threatened him ?
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

puzzled.gif posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:11 AM
Here's what I don't get....

....the locals...the gringos in town...they are all shocked that I am even asking about these things Bruce reported. No one can say they have heard of any of this. It's clear to me that they are not trying to cover up or hide anything...no one has heard of this stuff. In a small town like this, where everyone knows everyone's toilet flushes...I just don't get it. Everyone here on the Nomad is jumping into the drug theory/the cover up/the cloke and dagger theory...yet there is not one ounce of evidence THAT I CAN FIND that says any of this happened. Bruce, or someone please give me a lead here.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lindsay
As Bruce knows, I used to live in Mulege and I was devastated to have my boss at work tell me her daughter's friend is the grandson of the tourist who was murdered this past weekend.

While trying to get numbers and contacts for them as they are flying to Loreto tomorrow and then going up to Santa Rosalia where the grandfather's body is, I couldn't not think about how tragic that this family's introduction to Mulege will be due to such violence in a place that we all love.

CASAMANZANA - go through the threads - there are some nomads who could confirm what we have been told.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:41 AM

Have there been news reports in the US about these incidents? Can we hear directly from the families of the victims, please?
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:25 AM
The Murder at the Beach Did Happen!!

Trust me, the murder at the beach happened. I was asked by the deceased man's grandson and his family to get contact numbers in Mulege to help them. They are all in Santa Rosalia now dealing with the recovery of his body.

There are various reports that the man was stabbed at or around Requeson Beach and his car was stolen and trailer left behind. When the family returns to San Diego, I will know more...

As for my Mexican relatives and friends in town, some are aware of the events, some are not so I can not really draw conclusions from here...

In any event, I know the young man whose grandfather has been murdered and all I can say is this type of crime is a tragedy which one family is dealing with now so I hope that all nomads will remember there is a family that's grieving. Thank you for your kind thoughts for them.
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 10:37 AM

this might sound a bit paranoid...however...it does not matter where I travel...or live for that matter that I do not always take my life or loved ones for granted....I always use great caution and care not to leave myself vulnerable...especially while I sleep. There are horrible crimes committed everywhere in the world......and Baja too is one of those places. Maybe it is just being a woman that has made me that way.....EVERYONE should use caution where
they travel and live...............It is 2006 I think where things are no longer as they were when times were different in the good ol' days..
...if you can find a place free of crime by all means post it....we just need to use our heads and not drink too much tequilla and think that nothing could happen. However if you look at the statistics you will see they are still very low in Baja....of course out of the congested areas.....as far as not being able to give us the scoop I have no idea why that would be a proplem or life threatening...but duhhhhhhh.......we seem to have been informed already. I say everyone keep traveling and loving our beautiful and welcoming BAJA...but be careful where you pass out.......keep yourself as safe as possible.....The majority of places are very safe......and the majority of Mexicans are peaceful and loving people........And where would they inform us...GRingo Gazette??? I did not know there was a local newspaper to keep us up on the crime's committed......or anything else for that matter????:?:
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 11:24 AM

OK - is it just me, or are others having a little difficulty reconciling this post with the "all mexicans are happy/oblivious" post? Maybe this is a perfect example of what that post refers to? Maybe the disbelief of some that the citizens of Mulege can not possibly not know what's going on in their own town is a further example of the ethnocentricity of "ahmurikans" (as Johnson used to say). And what's this "edit under duress" stuff form Bruce! Boy, does that add intrigue or what! Where's this stuff coming from - the Loreto Bay barrio?

Anyways......
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:22 PM

I find the "duress" reference greatly disturbing and I doubt its a game that bruce would do to us in light of the seriousness at hand. Someone is threatening bruce for his actions on this board.

Would some one in Mulege please find Bruce and make sure he is alright and u2 someone on the board .

It may be that instead of trying to cover his tracks he was leaving the only trail he knew how.

Hope your ok bruce and let this be a lesson to those of you who think anonomity and monikers are a bad idea.

FWIW , got an email today from an area resident /friend opining on what's going on in Mulege. It doesn't look good and everyone there needs to be on their toes.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 12:52 PM

It is entirely possible for Bruce Leech to completely delete all post other than the original post on this thread. He chooses instead to leave this almost scare tactic out there.

If he feels threatened or he feels his family and his livelihood is threatened, he should just delete those subsequent posts.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.