BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  11
Author: Subject: Duane Curtis; Playa Armenta killing - WAS: Crime in Mulege...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 04:25 PM

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23477&...

-------------

It must also be dawn in Baja. My thoughts are with the drivers who were also awake all night. I hope they're travelling safely. I can't believe I used to think the worst that could happen would be my dad getting in a car wreck or dying naturally. I can't shake the images of the police photos from my mind. The shear horror on his face. It's all I see. When I blink I can change the image to the next picture. And I sit there and think that the killer or killers will never be found. That I can't be there to look for them. That I wasn't there to protect him, or at least maybe make him less of an easy target. And this was a person who would stop and leave food for the junkyard dogs. Bring candy down for the local kids. He'd even pickup hitchhikers, and who knows, maybe that lead to his death?

PLEASE look for an ALL WHITE (grill, bumpers, everything) 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.7L V8, with tan leather and a sunroof.
The windows are slighty tinted (from the factory). It may be the Laredo or Limited model?
California License Plate # 5NRK826

It has a black roof rack that is easily visible and a large dent on the rear liftgate.
It also has a large adjustable tow hitch
The radiator core support is also bent and you can see where it was cut off and welded back on.
It has Bilstein shocks and a Rancho Steering Stabilizer

If you see this Jeep please contact the local authorities.
Or call the Santa Rosalia DA Sergio Villareal (011 - 52) 615 - 153 - 0804
Or the U.S. Consulate's office in Tijuana (011 - 52) 664 - 622 - 7439

If you have other information and would like to contact me I can be reached at
951 - 587 - 3842
619 - 933 - 1396 cellphone
gtx510@gmail.com gtx510 @ gmail.com

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 04:37 PM

So unbelieveably sad, especially the perforrmance of the police involved. "Sorry for your loss, but, uh, would you be willing to sell me the Jeep if I find it?" That takes the cake.

That website must be getting hammered by all the B1K fans......incredibly slow loading for me.

Well, this should lay to rest the skepticism of whether it happened or not. Not exactly Mulege, though.........

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by Hook]

[Edited on 11-16-2006 by Hook]
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 04:42 PM

My boss at work spoke with the victim's grandson yesterday and we were very saddened to hear the details that have now been posted here.

So, as I wrote previously, let's remember this family who are dealing with such a shocking loss. Thank you.
Karyn Ivie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 04:45 PM

Thank you Doug for forwarding these posts and clearing up some of the questions. Now, all Nomads keep an eye out for the Jeep. My deepest condolances to the Family.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 06:54 PM

More info from Daniel via email this afternoon. Attached is a pic of his father at Playa Armenta taken by a B1000 pre-runner. You can see the Jeep, the roof rack, and maybe the dent. There's a link in his message to the original photo showing more of the surrounding area.

Here's what was sent to me:
-----------

A pre-runner forwarded me this link of my dad on Playa Armenta (Armento?).
The coincidence is blowing my mind. Could you post it?
You can clearly see the roof rack and you can barely see the dent to the
left of the license plate.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=292407181&size=o...

armentapic.jpg - 13kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 10:24 PM
Rattlesnake beach, loreto sur

Again, not to challange any person on this board with a post.

I talked again to my next door neighbor in Tripui who left there Monday 4:00 am...

We have at least 5 folks that walk thier dogs to RattleSnake beach every day.. They do talk to folks there.. My Neighbor was down there Sunday morning and spoke with folks and had not heard of any robbery....

I am not trying to dispute a post... I just want people to know what I know of local happenings that I am awear of..

Thanks to all of you that care... I am so sorry to hear of the terrible mess in mulge......

martin-o
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:20 AM

what phil s reported about my moterhome and my friends moterhome in loreto is true mine was burgerlizes and trashed dons was missing a big tv and radios i dont have a detailed report yet wants all missing and damaged
several nabores in the area were hit too

yup not the same old baja anymore

jerry and judi
KLR650

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 06:53 AM

Could someone please tell me where Playa Armenta is? I don't see it on the map.
I am headed to Baja and will be on the lookout for the Jeep.

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by KLR650]
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 07:02 AM

KLR650, Playa Armenta is south of Mulege and towards the southern end of Conception Bay. I believe it is just south of Playas Requeson and La Perla.

We should be traveling through there in a week or so. If possible we will post a trip report and any safety concerns.

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:34 AM

I'm Daniel Curtis, Duane was my Father.
Playa Armenta is past those beaches, past Santispac and El Coyote. If I remember correctly, heading south, it's the last beach before Highway 1 heads away from the beach as it goes thru the hills to Loreto. The above pic is take from the 1 heading north.
Shelli(?), the caretaker of the beach, is taking the trailer from us. We still need to get in touch with the Mulege police to claim my father's belongings and see if they have more information. We didn't have time to stop there as our time schedule was very tight. And now I'm stuck back in the states unable to do anything.

PLEASE look for this Jeep!!!!
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:40 AM

I'm Daniel. PLEASE look for this Jeep. It was seen last Friday out front of a supermarket in Custiad Constitution. The dent and the roof rack are the easier ways to spot it.

Can someone goto the supermarket in Constitution and say if anyone bought a bunch of groceries on Friday?
They would have had his gas money and I'm guessing they were headed for the dirt roads.
I'm stuck here in the states and am unable to do anything.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:53 AM

I just received this in an email.

"My wife and I were traveling to our home in Southern Baja and remember
seeing a Jeep of this description after leaving Loreto at 8:00 a.m. the
morning of the 10th. It was somewhere along the straight stretch of road
before you reach the intersection where the highway splits between Ciudad
Insurgentes and Ciudad Constitucion.
The Jeep we saw was a Limited and
matches the color description. We may have seen some of the occupants but
not positive if it was this vehicle or a for sure. But we think (again
think) there may have 4 to 5 people in the car with a young hispanic girl of
late teens or early twenty's sitting in the back seat and also possibly a
young child too. I did not get a look at the front seat passengers but made
a comment to my wife that it looked like they had the whole family in the
vehicle.
The young women in the back seat turned around and looked at us a
couple times before they pulled off the road letting us by. I do remember
that the girl did turn around and look at us through a tinted rear window of
the same shape as a Jeeps would be and this is what makes me think these
people may be associated to the vehicle that matches the description that we
saw. We hope for your families sake that these people are apprehended for
this crime."

And another.
"Hola! No sé si te sirva decirte esto, pero donde por lo regular siempre aparecen los carros robados son en puerto san carlos y pto adolfo lopez mateos, b.c.s., pero por lo regular los pintan y les arreglan los detalles por los cuales lo pudieran reconocer. Suerte! ojalá y den con lo tipos que robaron y asesinaron al extranjero."

Google translation.
"Hello! I do not know if it serves decirte this to you, but where by always regulating they appear the robbed cars are in port san Carlos and pto Adolph the mateos Lopez, b.c.s., but by regulating paints them and they fix the details to them by which they could recognize it. Luck! hopefully and they give with the types that robbed and assassinated the foreigner."

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by gtx510]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:11 AM

Daniel,

I am so sorry for your loss---it is just so sad. And it has to be really difficult to deal with everything with you in the states.

Since you requested the information be spread, I posted the jeep information on another board---in an RVing in Mexico forum. Most people who visit that forum travel the mainland, but there are some Baja people.

I read that you might be on the 10 news, but have you contacted the San Diego Union?

Again, my condolences to your entire family. While nothing can take away your grief, I hope the murderer is caught.

Take Care and Good Luck
Diane

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by jdtrotter]

gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:19 AM

The Union Tribute says it happens so often that they don't even do stories on this sort of thing. My bro-in-law said, "isn't there a story in that?" They said they'd get back to us but haven't as yet. The news crew should be here any minute.

Can someone please ask the grocery stores at Insurgentes and Constitution if they know anything?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gtx510
The Union Tribute says it happens so often that they don't even do stories on this sort of thing. My bro-in-law said, "isn't there a story in that?" They said they'd get back to us but haven't as yet. The news crew should be here any minute.

Can someone please ask the grocery stores at Insurgentes and Constitution if they know anything?

Daniel,
Try contacting Reporter, Sandra Dibble of the San Diego Union. She was the only one to take a personal interest and report on the flood damage and aid needed by the people of Mulege in the first week of that tragedy.

It is really discouraging that the media feels that your story is so commonplace that they don't have an interest to cover it.

I am very sorry for your loss and certainly hope they catch the murderers soon. That post about where stolen vehicles usually turn up for repainting looks like a good lead. Hopefully there is a BajaNomad in the area who can follow up for you.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:25 PM

Doug, could please call me at 619-933-1396. The channel 10 was hoping to contact you. Thanks.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 12:45 PM

DANIEL check your U2U
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 01:44 PM

We already spoke to Anna Cearley at the U.T. I think she may have been the person who said they don't report on times like this because it happens so often. Hopefully channel 10 news will not think this way.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 02:28 PM

Well, I think I've started enough of a fuss on the net that the UT is going to run a blurb or something. Sandra Dibble just call me and I haven't even tried contacting the UT so let's hope for the best.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 02:37 PM

I can't post on www.baja.net
If someone could do that I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.