BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11
Author: Subject: Duane Curtis; Playa Armenta killing - WAS: Crime in Mulege...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gtx510
I was informed of a possible sighting on Thursday the 16th, the Jeep may have been heading to Mexicali from San Felipe.
But that's a lot of military checkpoints to pass through or go around.

How difficult is it to avoid the checkpoints by taking the dirt roads? They would have had about a week so that seems like plenty of time to get from Constitution to San Felipe.

Daniel,
If you think they are headed in that direction, you might contact the Imperial Valley Press. It is the main newspaper in the Imperial Valley and many of the people in the valley, especially in Calexico, spend a lot of time in Mexicali. Maybe they would print the Jeep details.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Diane

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:30 AM
Daniel

I feel your loss and if I can be of any help I will be there. You are a good man and son in your quest for resolution. God be with you.

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Sharksbaja]
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:12 AM

No checkpoints open from San Felipe to Mexicali yesterday. We went thru El Chinero at 8am Sat., 11/18, and no Federales in sight. Just a blinking yellow light...
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:17 AM

Sharksbaja...your photo is quite blurry and is also too large for this screen. Can you enhance it any better and reduce it's size. Thanks.

We will be headed down the Baja highway within a few days and will keep our eyes open.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:47 PM
OK

I resized it:

ARMENT~4.jpg - 14kB
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 01:02 PM
Gtx510...

On the previous page you all were discussing reporters and getting this 'out there', ......broader range.
Has anybody called Marla Fisher of the Register in O.C?
She is a Nomad and has written some wonderfull Baja destination stories for the travel section. She has also done some in depth, investigative reporting.
I read the Register every day and it has been a long while since I have seen an article regarding travel safetyfor the Baja tourist.
Seems this story has plenty of twists and turns and 'connections' to make it an interesting read. Sort of like one of those '48 Hrs Mystery' shows.
She may try to help if she is made aware of this situation. Just a thought.
M
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 03:11 PM

M this is your big chance to do it. let us know what she says

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 06:17 PM

Watching channel 10 news right now. They just did a follow-up---really sad to see the funeral. Dang, such a senseless happening, but at least they seem to be staying with the story ---not that it can change what happened, but maybe it can lead to some resolution.

I think I heard that the state department is getting involved????

Diane

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 02:19 PM

If the Jeep has current license plates that would not otherwise raise suspicion, the military check points wouldn't have any reason to question the occupants other than the usual cursory checks for contraband (i.e. the Militarios are not checking for banditos). That would mean Mexican plates for Mexican occupants or gringo plates for gringos.
A friend just returned from Mulege and said the military checkpoints were unmanned, at least while the caravans of B-1K folks were blasting thru. Presumably they were reassigned to various other places than on the main highway.
I did see a sort of most-wanted photo paste-up at one checkpoint last month, but for that to be useful in this case there would have to be a photo of a suspect.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 03:12 PM

Also, It might be useful to know what other items were stolen. Perhaps the perps will be trying to sell those goods quickly. Wherever criminals fence these things in Baja..might be the place to look. Pawn shops, junk dealers, swap meets, etc. Clues can turn up anywhere.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 03:23 PM

Idiots! They'll probably die from terminal dumb-ass before the law catches up with 'em.:(
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 05:27 PM

All the military checkpoints normally stopping cars in Baja on Hwy. 1 and 5, north from Bahia de los Angeles were CLOSED on Nov. 14-19.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 06:25 PM

Thank you for your condolences and kind words, that has really helped to keep me goiing thru all this. It feels so hopeless from my end, searching thru a keyboard for someone roaming around Baja. And the murder could have been almost 2 weeks ago. The police didn't even have pictures of the ground around the scene, just a shot of about a 1/2 dozen cops wandering inside and out of his trailer. I can't get the police photos out of my mind.

My father's funeral was yesterday. Marine honor guard did a 21 gun salute and presented my mother with the flag. Our dog whined thru the entire thing but she may have just wanted out of the car. I can't remember a day that my father wouldn't do the x-word puzzle from the daily paper, so I left him yesterday's and a mechanical pencil like he liked to use. I felt so sorry for all the friends and family in attendance.

The only things I can remember stolen were a small DVD/TV player, it was a no name model from JCPenneys, screen as about 7-8". What was odd is the police asked us if we knew what brand it was and acted like they knew it was missing. I was wondering, "how do they know about that?" I don't remember seeing DVD's in the photo's but there may have been some left.
There was also a battery jumper box for jump starting a car battery. I think it was blue but might have been red or yellow. It's about a foot tall and wide and about 1/2 ft thick. There was a handle on the top and it was like a plastic suitcase. It had a flash light and a voltgauge on the front side and a jumper cable on both sides.
I also imagine he clothes and wallet were stolen as we didn't see those in the pictures.

We didn't have time to make it to the Mulege police or talk to the State police. And I've even heard that there was no state police investigation for this and there should have been. We're not even sure if the person we spoke to in Santa Rosalia was the DA. I don't ever remember seeing a badge or credentials. Honestly, my family and I think that because this happened (or the police finally found his body...) so close to the Baja 1000 that they wanted to keep his murder quiet so tourism wouldn't be affected. And they did this by blothing the investigation. We don't even know if the State police in La Paz were notified as we've now been told that they should have been handling the case.

Hopeful a Congresional Inquiry (Report?) to the TJ consulate will help. I thank whomever was about to get that done. Thank you. And I know I can also speak for my family and father's friends. Thank you so very much.

The last possible sighting I have of the Jeep heading north to Mexicali says they remember seeing a roofrack.

That the military checkpoints aren't running is crushing to hear but I know the plates could easily be changed to BC places anyways. And I've seen plenty of plateless cars down there, I think I've even seen them make it thu checkpoints without a problem, while we get shaken down for soda, gatorade, fruit, batteries, scotch tape, playboys, beer, etc.

Again, thank you for you best wishes and prayers. I'm sorry if some of this sounds like gibberish but my head's been spinning for over a week and it usually just gets worse with the reports that I get from travellers or expats in Mexico. But PLEASE keep these reports coming and PLEASE check looking for my father's Jeep.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 04:31 PM

Does my new sig work?

Help us find my father's killer(s?)!!!

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by gtx510]

Help us find my father\'s killer(s?)!!!

Description of Jeep

He was murdered on Playa Armenta, south of Mulege B.C.S. The local police say it was on the 11th, but it was probably Tuesday the 7th.

PLEASE help us to find his killers.
They stole his ALL WHITE 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It has a large dent on the rear liftgate to the left of the license plate.
There\'s a large black roof rack, about 4\'x4\'x1/2\', made from thin, round steel tubes and rods.
gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 07:22 PM

Now we can't report the Jeep stolen to the US authorities because we were never given a report in Mexico. So the Jeep could freely cross the border carrying drugs, nukes, guns, chemical weapons or whatever. I couldn't even get the CHP officer at the Otay Mesa office to put an alert on the Jeep. He didn't seem to mind that someone involved in a murder could possibly enter the US with the Jeep. But he didn't seem to mind if I lied and said the Jeep was stolen in the US, just as long as I went to a different office. oh, the compassion. And the Customs or Border Patrol won't do anything unless they have a stolen vehicle report. The police won't do the report and the CHP won't answer the phone. I talked to them 1/2 an hour before this but I didn't know the Jeep haven't been reported stolen. I can't believe the bureaucratic BS my family and I have had to put up with and now we're getting it on this side of the border. As if spending all day calling the State Dept, DEA, FBI, local police, CHP, etc wasn't taxing enough.

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by gtx510]

Description of Jeep

He was murdered on Playa Armenta, south of Mulege B.C.S. The local police say it was on the 11th, but it was probably Tuesday the 7th.

There\'s a large black roof rack, about 4\'x4\'x1/2\', made from thin, round steel tubes and rods.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 01:15 PM

Really........REALLY........PATHETIC.

I am so sorry for your frustration. The authorities are leaving you no recourse but to publicize this nightmare at every turn.

gtx510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 03:32 PM

Wanna heara REALLY good one?

I just got off the phone with someone at the Desk of Mexico at the State Dept.
Apparently he's saying we never should have had to go to Santa Rosalia to claim the body, we never should have signed paperwork for a death certificate, and the consulate should have handled both those things for us. In fact, he asked me why we signed papers at all and I told him because that's what the consulate said had to be done.

I just sit there and ask myself WTF really happened there? Why is everything being handled differently than it should be?

Description of Jeep

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 03:47 PM

It is sounding like there are several people who hope you get frustrated and just go away. :mad:

My thoughts are with you and your strength in continuing to seek some answers.

Take Care
Diane

pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 08:00 AM
Check points

I drove home yesterday from Loreto and all the check points were closed. Strange, I would think they would be looking for this person. Recardo at Rice and Beans said the person was caught. guess not.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 11:04 AM

The checkpoints (when open) are looking for guns, ammo and drugs... It would really surprise me if they have been given authority to arrest other kinds of criminals.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.