Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gypsy's in San Q.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 06:36 PM
Gypsy's in San Q.

am thinking of trying out Gypsy's camp on way down(usually stay at peballon).how is it, nad how do I get there???thanks.
Matt
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 08:43 PM

Me too.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 08:53 PM

Gypsy's is on Rancho Cielito Lindo property, just a half mile west of the Cielito Lindo motel & restuarant, next to the big beach.

Leave Hwy. 1 at Km. 11, on the paved side road to Hotel La Pinta (Los Pinos tomato packing plant is on the corner, looks like a mall).

Where the paved road turns left for La Pinta, continue straight on the wide dirt road. You're almost there.

Laura's chorizo breakfast burritos are my favorite... See Laura in the first photo at http://davidksbaja.com/703

Gypsy's web page with photos is accessed by clicking on it at the top of http://bajasi.com

[Edited on 12-23-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-22-2003 at 11:32 PM

Pabellon is Way better. Don't waste your time.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 12:26 AM

"Pabellon is Way better. Don't waste your time."

Weather permitting. I was at El Pabellon last year; I was impressed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 02:27 AM

Pappy just asked about Gypsy's and how to get there... I didn't say anything about Pabellon. I have heard only good things about it, too. You don't need to say anything bad about Gypsy's just because I go there, or answered pappy's question.

I always stay at Gypsy's because it is owned by good people Dave and Juanita, who help tourists and the poor area farm kids, too.

The http://bajasi.com link has photos to see what the set up is like. It is just a newer RV park, with showers and bathrooms and an indoor camping building (great feature as it rains so much when I show up there).

The hit is the upstairs Wet Buzzard Bar located in the center... Pacifico on tap, burritos, fish tacos and more... all just $1 each, including the beer.

Now, what does Pabellon offer better that makes going to Gypsy's a 'waste of time'?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 05:16 AM

Access, security, scenery, wind blockage.

If you have to ask you have never been there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 08:19 AM

That's right, I have never drove into Pabellon... What does their restaurant serve or do they even have one?

Gypsy's has a security gaurd. His trailer is parked next to the indoor camping building... if you didn't know that, you must not have ever stayed there...?

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 09:52 AM

I guess if being near an easy supply of food and beer on tap are what make Baja "the place" for you, Gypsy's is it. Personnally I have never felt "secure" camping on that barren spit of land that is exposed in all directions accept for a few block walls. Maybe because I am older and often camp by myself. The communal bathroom thing doesn't exactly appeal to me either. It was much nicer out there when there were big sand dunes lining the beach, but you probably don't remember that.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 10:48 AM

thanks all...indoor camping? David is there an outdoor tent/cot camping area?
Thanks!
Matt
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 11:54 AM

I have never camped at Gypsys but we ate breakfast there last time and enjoyed it. Cheap and good! We plan to have a meal there again this trip down.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 11:55 AM

El Pabellon gets my vote too. Nice clean hot showers! Lots of open areas along the beach, great wind blockage with the dunes right there and excellent offroading all over the place. We bring our own beer and food while we camp there and often drive into town for some outstanding resturants to have dinner. $5/night. :lol:
Bob H
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 12:04 PM

That does it; I plan on staying at Gypsy?s for the sake of judging it against El Pabbelon. (sp?) I anticipate enjoying Gypsy?s for qualities that differ from El Pabbelon. I probably won?t have time to do a complete scientific analysis, (complete with four page report from thorough straining of the sand to compare beach quality) but I think I will still be able to objectively evaluate the qualities that make each place distinctly enjoyable. Really, I just want to try the 1 dollar burrito and the 1 dollar beer.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 06:09 PM

Packoderm-when will you be there?
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 03:24 AM
Live a little!

Try something a little different. El Pabellon and Cielito Lindo both have their strengths as their proponents have mentioned. If you are familiar with one, try the other. That's what adventure in Baja is all about, isn't it? If you wanted to do the same ol' thing all the the tme you could do it at home in "The States" for less. If you do go to Cielito Lindo and you like to eat crab, try this dish. You won't be sorry

[Edited on 12-24-2003 by Herb]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 07:14 AM
sorry.......no matter where you get them,

CL, El jardin, et al....the stone crab claws are a pain in the arse and overpriced!! messy, take forever to eat etc. go for lobster, similar price and easy to get to.

Where is this El pabellon place anyway? cab distance from CL? if not then i'll never see it. Gypsies is ok, the view on the deck is good, people friendly, tacos ok for a buck, but the breakfast burros are not consistently good. last one tasted like it was made out of sopalotes!!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 12:07 PM

Hello Pappy, I hope to be there some time after Xmas. It will be just me and my young son. We will be driving either a white Ford Ranger with a camper shell or a blue and white VW Bus; I haven?t decided which one I want to take yet. The Bus is much more roomy and fun, and it has the most comfortable seating position for long distance driving of any vehicle bar none, but I feel the Ranger might be more reliable, and it gets better gas mileage. Hope to see you there, Packoderm
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 05:37 PM

cool! will be in a white silverado sb, along with a maroon ford w/shell.hope to meet up with you, and any other nomads for that matter.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2003 at 02:27 AM
the Good stuff about Gypsies Camp....

Where to start?

The restaurant is really very good. I've probably eaten at EVERY restaurant in San Quintin (burp, s'cuse me).

Laura, the manager and AM shift cook, is very accomodating and will make your food any way you want it. Her mother makes all the Tamales by hand and also works there several times a week. Her sister works there too.

The campground has the best "Sweet" (not salty) water showers with plenty of Hot water and Extremly clean.

Covered camping, if it's raining, is really nice for those who tent it.

Security guard lives on the premises and makes hourly rounds, all night.

Sewage dump for those with trailers or motorhomes.

All sites are level.

Access to the beach is 300 yards, sand dunes are about 150 yards.

Good access roads to the camp and if you like to fish the surf fishing is good.

If you want a Panga, Gene Allshouse, Chino, Chito or several other Capitanos are available and launch off the point to the North of the camp.

Or, if you don't fish and want fresh fish, the fishing camp is at the point to the North and you can drive down and buy from them as they return with their days catch. (Usually around 1:30 to 3:00 pm)

All the electricity is either Wind generated or if no wind they use a gas/Diesel generator. Unfortunately there isn't sufficient power for motorhome or camper use.

I can't condone derisive comments, if you haven't been there. So, I'll refrain from any such tactics till I've stayed at El Pabellon and had a chance to sample there fine location. I have driven by several times but never taken the opportunity to see for myself. Please, those who have stayed, I'd like to hear about them, in a factual, first hand, point of view.

Happy Holidays to all,

Bedman
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-25-2003 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman

I can't condone derisive comments, if you haven't been there. So, I'll refrain from any such tactics till I've stayed at El Pabellon and had a chance to sample there fine location. I have driven by several times but never taken the opportunity to see for myself. Please, those who have stayed, I'd like to hear about them, in a factual, first hand, point of view.

Happy Holidays to all,

Bedman

************* As you stated you have never been to both, I have. My comments were based on facts, yours a one sided commentary **********************************************. In the 100's of trips I have driven south I almost ALWAYS overnight in SQ. I used to camp at SL under the trees until I was told about Pabellon. I found it far superior, as does everyone I have talked to who has stayed at both. I then heard about Gypsys and tried it once. That was all I needed. Someone was walking around camp all night with a flashlight and that woke me up several times. I guess as you pointed out that was the security gaurd. Makes me wonder why he needs to patrol ALL night. I heard several gun shots off in the distance. I guess that was just the guys at the fish camp having fun. They are probably the same ones that the security gaurd is on lookout for. As a side, more often than not in Mexico if some of your stuff comes up missing it is the person who has been "WATCHING" it.

[Edited on 12-26-2003 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.