[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 05:42 PM
Mexico's First Ejido Coastal Reserve Established in BoLA

Just received:

PRONATURA NOROESTE
BAJA CALIFORNIA CONSERVATION OFFICE
PRIVATE LAND CONSERVATION PROGRAM

DECEMBER 19, 2003

MEXICO?S FIRST EJIDO COASTAL RESERVE IS ESTABLISHED IN BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES

For the first time in Mexico, four families from the Ejido "Tierra y Libertad" (social land-owners organization) from Bah?a de Los Angeles, Baja California, signed this morning a number of contracts that link their properties in an innovative scheme of five land easements in the Gulf of California coast.

These land easements formally limit the uses and activities that might negatively affect the natural characteristics of "La Unica" ("The Only One"), a pristine and beautiful bay located south of Bah?a de Los Angeles, where the mentioned properties are located.

Ferm?n Smith Valdez and sons, who jointly own "La Unica", will not lose their rights to carry out economic activities in their properties, but those activities now need to be compatible with the conservation of the area. The restrictions, which will remain even if the properties are sold, are defined in both the contracts and the management plan for the area, which has been designed and agreed with the land owners.

The establishment of this first chain of land easements in the Mexican coast is the conclusion of an extended process of negotiation developed by Pronatura Noroeste, a mexican non profit organization based in Ensenada, Baja California. As part of the contract and the incentives that made this agreement possible, Pronatura and Wildcoast (a California-based conservation organization), negotiated federal and private funds for the implementation of a low impact ecotouristical development in the area, and commited to provide technical support and training to this new family business. At the same time, Pronatura acquired the legal responsibility to defend the properties against any action that might violate the signed contracts, threatening the ecological integrity and conservation value of the area.

This project is part of the "Bahia de Los Angeles Sustainable Development and Conservation Program" implemented by Pronatura. A core element of this program is the initiative to create the "Bah?a de Los Angeles" National Park, a marine protected area that encompasses 1.3 millon acres of one of the most productive regions of the Gulf of California. Land easements will assure the conservation of the critical coastal habitat that frames the proposed protected area, including 15 wetlands.

The conservation and sustainable use of "La Unica" will allow four families of ejido members and fishermen diversify their economy, depending less on the use of fishing resources. At the same time, will represent a model to other ejido members, promoting them to wisely use their coastal properties as an alternative to sell them, which has been usually perceived as the only way to improve their economy.

The establishment of these land easements assures the conservation in perpetuity of this important portion of the Baja California coast. Pronatura Noroeste actively promotes the implementation of these kind of conservation and development schemes for private properties in all northwestern Mexico, providing advise and implementing joint projects with organizations and private parties interested in this topic.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 09:59 PM
This news

is really good stuff. I think. It's a "let's wait and see" sort of deal.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 10:10 PM
Sounds like sound development policy that's win/win for everybody. A modern miracle.

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 11:09 PM

While on the surface this news sounds "good", so many things in politics (around the worlds varied political machines) are just done to confuse others for some self-serving purpose. I would never say that this is one of those but would stand back, aware, and watch. It does respresent something personal to me (from a distance): I have reason to trust the folks at Bahia de Los Angeles and to recognize them (as we all do that have paid the slightest attention) as very self-reliant and concerned for the world they grew up in and desirous of protecting that.

[Edited on 12-24-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 11:12 PM
Gee, thanks Mike

I wish I'd said that !:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.