BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Feelings on the 1000...
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 12:45 PM

Not a SPORT!! that is the funniest thing (or stupied) I have ever heard. I have never had the pleasure (or the money, and it takes alot) to be involved in the highest adrenaline rush, not to mention the skill it takes to complete this race. At any moment you could be killed, the heat is unbearable, and your head needs to turn almost 360 degrees to know everything that is going on. IT IS A MAJOR SPORT.......pure and simple....
and as far as living in the area the race comes through thrills me because it feeds so many families do to the HUGE AMOUNT of money that it takes to run this RACE......we can pick up the garbage and it is worth doing so........Hurray for the Baja 1000!!!!!!:bounce:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 01:25 PM
More good advice

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
I am an avid author fan and history buff. One of my favorite Hemingwayisms....."To be a successful father... there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years."

From the father of Danny Ainge, the cantankerous NBA star and coach. "The Bible says you have to love your kids, but it doesn't say you have to like them."
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 01:34 PM

I just finished a run to cd. constitution for groceries and some of the race support people on the road are the biggest a$$holes I have seen in a long time. 90 miles per hour, passing on blind curves, two to three trucks racing bumper to bumper. This wasnt a single occurence, it happened many times in both directions. No doubt about there purpose here, they were loaded down with tires, gas, etc. Im damn glad they are heading home.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellychapman
Not a SPORT!! that is the funniest thing (or stupied) I have ever heard.

Anything you can do well with a beer gut is not a sport. If you think driving a car is a sport, then you think the following are sports: whack-a-mole, golf, fishing and poker. By the way, a running back is a sprotsman, and a defensive lineman is a fat goon; a mountain biker is a sportsman, and a mortorcycle racer is a goon on a bike.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I just finished a run to cd. constitution for groceries and some of the race support people on the road are the biggest a$$holes I have seen in a long time. 90 miles per hour, passing on blind curves, two to three trucks racing bumper to bumper. This wasnt a single occurence, it happened many times in both directions. No doubt about there purpose here, they were loaded down with tires, gas, etc. Im damn glad they are heading home.

People that think Mexico is a place to behave without rules of polite society deserve the things that ultimately come of such behaviour.

Real sportsmen! The ORV crowd is mostly knucklegraggers.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Motor racing is sport? Motor racing is nothing more than planting a fat burro in a seat and pressing the accelerator. Requires no more skill than Nintendo or Tiddlywinks. For much of his life Hemingway was a lard burro, and probably couldn't do much more than shoot, fish and drive a car. He certainly couldn't do antything requiring athleticism.

Goat:

You're words alone tell me that you've never 'planted your fat burro on a dirtbike & opened the throttle' (take off of your comments) and that you have no knowledge or experience of working on an engine to get it to run its optimum (let along in rough desert terrain during daylight & the pitch black of a desert night). IMHO, it sounds like you don't have a competitive bone in your body; each individual racer is competing against several elements, first & foremost....against themselves in that they're stretching their physical & mental endurance beyond anything that I'm guessing you'll ever experience; they do the same with their ride, be it a bike, quad, car or truck. I view the challenges of the race to be: testing your own personal skill & endurance, knowing your vehicle & what level of performance you can put into it & coax out of it; there's the element of competition with your opponents & their vehicles, there's a tremendous element of skill & determination to not let the rough terrains be your most fearsome & harshest opponent. Then, there is the individual satisfaction & pride that you've done your personal best to finish the Baja 1000 at all, let alone in the forefront of your class. The participants run the race for as many diverse & personal reasons as there are racers! They certainly DON'T do it for the prize money!!

But my not being personally involved in the sport (and yes, I do consider it to be a sport!) might possibly make me equally as unqualified to comment on it as you! ;)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 07:06 PM

Legz, Great Response!!
Methinks the dude got overmedicated, somewhere along the line, to spew all that stuff against that of which he knows not....
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 07:34 PM

Give the goat a break-- he was just stating his opinion, and differing opinions make for interesting nomad conversations, right? Actually, I pretty much agree with him, and might have stated my opinion of motor madness more strongly-- just didn't feel like getting dumped on:lol:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 05:26 AM

hahahahaha..............:barf::barf::barf::barf::lol::lol::lol::lol:
hey, devil goat - you must be A REAL HOOT at parties where people are having fun doing fun things you don't like or understand - but you have a right to rail i guess. what a stick in the mud tho......glad you're not my neighbor in USA or baja!

frankly, me thinks you are one of the most clueless marooonites that i've seen scribble here based on the veracity of your crainial leakage.

but yeah...keep on opinionizing here...it's great entertainment.:rolleyes::yawn:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 08:49 AM

A goat :fire: turning on a spit is enjoyed in many back yards
in Baja!!!

Corky :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 08:50 AM

Paula and I are arguing.:lol:

I agree with Mike. "Cranial Leakage!":lol::lol::lol:

Hey, he dumps on fishermen. How'd WE get in this thread?:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Don Alley]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 08:53 AM

WHY.... WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???????

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:38 AM

Now we know that the motor heads are a sensitive lot. Go cry to your mommy if you don't like being labeled low-brow, lard-ass litterers who mistake sitting for sporting.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:51 AM
The Voice of Knowledge and Experience.

You have to admit that El Diablo's Cabron is intimately familiar with

........................"low-brow, lard-ass litterers"................................
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Now we know that the motor heads are a sensitive lot. Go cry to your mommy if you don't like being labeled low-brow, lard-ass litterers who mistake sitting for sporting.

A definition of sport-

A sport is an activity requiring physical ability, physical fitness or physical skill which usually, but not always, involves competition between two or more people.

If you don't believe off road racing requires all of the above requirements, then you have NO idea what's involved.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

A definition of sport-

A sport is an activity requiring physical ability, physical fitness or physical skill which usually, but not always, involves competition between two or more people.

If you don't believe off road racing requires all of the above requirements, then you have NO idea what's involved.

If a car driver gains 25 lbs of lard around his gut, he can still win. If Lance Armstrong added 25 lbs of donuts around his gut he would have lost. I maintain that car driving does not require physical fitness, and find that your arguement is wrong. Car driving is more about the machines, and less about the skills or fitness of the drivers. Car driving aint sport.

By the way, I speak from the experience of being all-state top 10 in running and skiing, and having driven off-road motorcycles, quads and trucks in the days before I recognized how destructive the activity was to public lands. After seeing what marooons have done to scar large parts of the so cal desert, I no longer want any association with the marooonic motor "sportsmen."

Do you consider Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend a mass meeting of sportsmen?
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

A definition of sport-

Therefore crushing beer cans against your forehead is a sport? Your definition leaves a lot of questions to be answered.

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing in Darfur. I wish all those millions of dollars spent on the 1000 were going there.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:51 AM

Ahhhhhh.... what lively repartee. Is there nothing better than to excersize the "little grey cells" and debate the age old question of what constitutes a sport and what does not? And how wonderful to do so with such verve and emotion, bereft of any mudslinging, finger pointing or name calling!

Being a died-in-the-wool mountaineer from an early age, I do espouse the elemental necessity of expending some amount of energy to participate in such a sport. (If, indeed one conceeds that mountianeering is a sport.... as I've done my share of "sitting" conducting glisades, belays, etc.)

But I feel I must also share what I can only call the duplicitous nature of involving myself in those banal persuits of the mechanically inclined, namely that of off-road-vehicles, et al. I am one of those who shamelessly admit to the rush of adrenaline achieved by the accomplishment of pushing a mechanical beast to perform in ways not seen as sane by the general public. Does this constitute a sport? I must concur that it does.

And so I find myself the proverbial fence sitter... (hmmmm, involves sitting, so most likely NOT a sport), and therefore find it difficult to provide a convincing argument against anything labeled as 'sport'.

However, I will attempt to use logic to to rebuf the assertions regarding some of the "Cranial Leakage!" that has been spilled in this thread. To whit, the argument that a sport must by it's very nature contain some degree of athleticism, and that anything involving sitting is not a sport. If this is so, then I offer up as evidence in favor of sport that the act of hunting and (admittedly to a lesser degree) fishing must fall in that catagory because they do indeed necessitate some athletic ability to a. get to the place to perform such tasks, and b. correctly and efficiently use the equipage associated with each.

Further, I posit that there are sports in which the participant does indeed sit. As evidence I submit to the public at large any of the acts of an equestrian nature, i.e. horse racing, bronco breaking, barrel racing, steeple chasing, polo playing, etc. Unless I am wholly mistaken, those activities do indeed involve some degree of athletic ability to participate in (if one desires to be of any degree of proficiancy in said activity), and the last time I looked, people SIT on horses.

And by the way, whether anyone calls it a sport or not, the activity of fishing must be at least somewhat popular with certain posters on this thread. Can anyone say TROLL?

And just to get back on topic.... my feelings about the Baja 1000? I love it.

p.s. My appologies to those of you who hunt, fish and ride horses.... only one of which I do with any degree of skill. (And even the fish laugh at me sometimes.)

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by bajaandy]

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:10 AM

Bajaandy, I compliment you for the fine exercise of the English language. I am impressed and a bit (no make that VERY) envious of your grammatical skills. Finally, someone who understands the sport of creative writing!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:12 AM

Quote:

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing in Darfur. I wish all those millions of dollars spent on the 1000 were going there.

The subject of how to spend someone else's money is a different subject and should have it's own thread.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.