BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Feelings on the 1000...
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus

The count is now.....

land trashers - 5
devil goat - 2

The puck in now in off-roaders territory.

:lol::lol::lol:

Land Trashers were off side. We now have a face off at center ice. Gooooo Devil Goats.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Bajaandy, I compliment you for the fine exercise of the English language. I am impressed and a bit (no make that VERY) envious of your grammatical skills. Finally, someone who understands the sport of creative writing!

Thank you for the compliment, but I have to admit that I was sitting when I wrote that, so I'm not sure creative writing qualifies as a sport.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Bajaandy, I compliment you for the fine exercise of the English language. I am impressed and a bit (no make that VERY) envious of your grammatical skills. Finally, someone who understands the sport of creative writing!

Now wait a minute-- creative writing can be practiced while sitting in a chair with countless amounts of lard accumulating around one's midsection while in the very act. So according to Giles (notice clever obscure literary reference and score one for Paula) creative writing can't be a sport as lard and sport do not mix. However by Lou's definition the act of verbal gymnastics qualifies.

I think we need a time-out here!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandythe act of hunting and (admittedly to a lesser degree) fishing must fall in that catagory because they do indeed necessitate some athletic ability to a. get to the place to perform such tasks, and b. correctly and efficiently use the equipage associated with each.

Most hunters and boat fishermen are fueled by alcohol. Most hunters shoot from the cab of their truck, or the comfort of a lawn chair in a blind. Most boat fishermen do their fishing with a ham sandwich and beer only inches from their rod and reel. Sounds like a motor racer would find hunting and fishing to be sporting!

Fishing, hunting, motor racing, play station 3, tiddly winks and poker are games. (hunting and motor racing are in the category of marooonic games)

Soccer and figure skating are sport.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

(notice clever obscure literary reference and score one for Paula)

Paula scores one for the Devil Goats on a breakaway!

Land Trashers 5
Devil Goats 3

Goooooo Devil Goats!

Quote:

I think we need a time-out here!

Paula, bad move. Youv'e got momentum (Mr. Mo) on your side.

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Fishing, hunting, motor racing, play station 3, tiddly winks and poker are games. (hunting and motor racing are in the category of marooonic games)

Soccer and figure skating are sport.

Ouch! Number 666, Mountain Goat gets 5 minutes in the penalty box for unsportsman like conduct (sitting down with a beer in your hand while flaming the opposition). Land Trashers have a one man advantage. This is getting exciting!

And another U.S. serviceman just died in Iraq, but that's neither here nor there.

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by oxxo]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:03 PM

Grand Poo Goat is on a roll as the decider of what is and is not sport. (another for Paula-- sly political aside with reference to the unsportsmanlike fellow who sends the young and the brave brave off to die for fuel for motorheads while not having ever participated in the game of war himself).

I challenge the goat to classify the following: Pie and/or hotdog eating contests. Competitive weight management. Rapid turncoating as this poster finds herself less willing to come to his defense by the minute.

oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:25 PM

Quote:

another for Paula

Paula tries the old "hide the puck in your knickers" gambit. Sorry Paula, goal is waved off and the referee is asking for a new puck.

The score remains 5 to 3 in favor of the Land Trashers.

Quote:
-- sly political aside with reference to the unsportsmanlike fellow who sends the young and the brave brave off to die for fuel for motorheads while not having ever participated in the game of war himself).

Wow!!!! Paula tries to change the name of the game at center ice. Paula, this new game needs to be switched to a grassy field (the political forum) where I am on your team.

Quote:

this poster finds herself less willing to come to his defense by the minute.

Paula is having angry words with her teammate about his lack of committment. This is getting ugly on the Devil Goat team.

Gooooo Devil Goats!

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by oxxo]
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:33 PM

I am reminded of this passage from "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper." by Mark Twain

Quote:
Sir, I have been through it from Alpha to Omaha, and I tell you that the less a man knows the bigger noise he makes and the higher the salary he commands. Heaven knows if I had but been ignorant instead of cultivated, and impudent instead of diffident, I could have made a name for myself in this cold, selfish world. I take my leave, sir. Since I have been treated as you have treated me, I am perfectly willing to go. But I have done my duty. I have fulfilled my contract, as far as I was permitted to do it. I said I could make your paper of interest to all classes, and I have. I said I could run your circulation up to twenty thousand copies, and if I had had two more weeks I'd have done it. And I'd have given you the best class of readers that ever an agricultural paper had -- not a farmer in it, nor a solitary individual who could tell a watermelon from a peach-vine to save his life. You are the loser by this rupture, not me, Pie-plant. Adios." I then left.

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:35 PM

By the way, I still like the Baja 1000.

JBL Noel
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 12:49 PM

A most eloquent exit.

Me? I'm just outta here. It's been fun.

And I'm still able to see pros and cons about the race, by the way.

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 01:09 PM
Darfur?

Quote:

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing (sic) in Darfur.

Solid logic! I myself have long wondered why the "genocide vs.offroad racing" debate doesn't pop up more often at the UN. Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for The World Series and The Superbowl and The Stanley Cup and The NCAA Tourney and The U.S.Open and The Masters and The Coney Island Hot-Dog Eating Contes - war and famine would vanish into the ether.

Run for office NOW! "And if elected, I promise to completely eradicate all sporting events and cut a HUGE check for the humanitarian effort in the Sudan. Also, I want people to stop making movies and TV shows and writing books. ENTERTAINMAINT and FRIVOLITY MUST STOP UNTIL WE CAN END ALL FOREIGN CONFLICTS. DEATH TO THE BAJA 1000!"

paid for by the Citizen for Oxxo in '08
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 02:25 PM

Anyone with any doubts about off-road racing, in particular, the Baja 1000 -- see the movie Dust to Glory. INCREDIBLE. We felt like we'd been IN the race when it was over. Incredibley exciting. A heart pounder that gives you a genuine perspective on what this kind of race means to everyone involved or looking on.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin

Solid logic! I myself have long wondered why the "genocide vs.offroad racing" debate doesn't pop up more often at the UN.

Bigwaggin of the Trashers delivers a HARD, blindside, body check to Oxxo leading with his big beer belly....and Oxxo is merely a spectator on the sidelines. Oxxo is down and bloodied!

Quote:
Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for The World Series and The Superbowl and The Stanley Cup and The NCAA Tourney and The U.S.Open and The Masters and The Coney Island Hot-Dog Eating Contes - war and famine would vanish into the ether.

Bigwaggin just poured his beer over the head of Oxxo and what disrespect, it was a Tecate Lite! sponsor of the Baja 1000.

Quote:
Run for office NOW! "And if elected, I promise to completely eradicate all sporting events and cut a HUGE check for the humanitarian effort in the Sudan. Also, I want people to stop making movies and TV shows and writing books. ENTERTAINMAINT and FRIVOLITY MUST STOP UNTIL WE CAN END ALL FOREIGN CONFLICTS. DEATH TO THE BAJA 1000!"

Bigwagon is now sitting on Oxxo with his lardburro...too many days behind the wheel of a dune buggy Bigwaggin?

Let's see if we can get a statement from Bigwaggin. "Screw the people who are dying, murdered and raped - the games (I mean sport) must go on" Thanks Bigwaggin, that about sums it up.

Quote:
paid for by the Citizen for Oxxo in '08

HUH?! Bigwaggin, you want Oxxo to be the captain of your team?

Wait....Paula is walking off the ice! Paula is walking off the ice!

Quote:

Me? I'm just outta here. It's been fun.

Unbelievable!!!!

Lets see if we can get a statement from Oxxo. Let me get the microphone down here on the ice. Bigwaggin can you move your fat buns a little so I can get the mike in there. Oxxo are you okay? What would you like to say?

"Paula........Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Get this beer guzzling fatarse off of me. I promise never to say bad things about the Land Trashers again"
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 03:24 PM

For the record, I have never once nor will i ever drive a "dune buggy." In fact, a quick reread of my initial post in this thread should give you some idea of my views on gearhead culture. I don't really like Korn, never wore Oakleys and rarely punctuate sentences by exclaiming "...baby!" I mean, I have a Tundra, but that's about as far as I go.

I will admit to loving beer en masse but I do exercize regularly and have (thusfar) maintained a largely lard-free-ass (I'm young yet...there's time). Not that my tushy much matters (unless you have an attractive daughter/sister in the LA area).

Regarding "the people who are dying, murdered and raped," you're right, I harbor zilch sympathy. In fact, I was hoping to orchestrate an ethnic cleansing of my own this year, but work demands made that impossible :(. Anyway, to suggest Darfur, Iraq, Timor, Sri Lanka, etc. are paramount to a sporting event is to profess a complete ignorance of world events. The World Series is like, 100 years old! How long has Darfur been around? MAYBE 5 years? Puh-leeze. Call me when you get some heritage!

Oxxo, you and me, we're not so different. I mean, inexplicable hockey analogies and nonsensical either/ors aside, I bet we're more or less the same. So, in the areas of sport and genocide, let's agree to disagree. And with that hatchet buried I say to you, Viva Baja!
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
So, in the areas of sport and genocide, let's agree to disagree. And with that hatchet buried I say to you, Viva Baja!

Okay, that's it folks. It's a wrap. The two teams skate off the ice together, arm and arm, singing Kumbaya.

Final score:
Land Trashers: 5
Devil Goats: 3

So this year the Bahja 1000 as a sport is the official winner. This has been a real classic! I'm sure we'll be talking about it for the next two minutes.

There will be a rematch next year, and BABY it should be a barnburner!

This is Oxxo signing off with a special thank you to our sponsors Tecate Lite....que sabor. Remember to drink responsibly, at least 2 cases during every race. And the U.S. Army reserves......Be all that you can be in a Humvee in the Iraq 1000.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 06:19 PM
Hockey....

Eh, now there's a sport for ya :rolleyes:

Quote:
Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for... The Stanley Cup

So, that would save like what?

$1.29 Canadian?

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:20 PM

Baja Un Mil---I personally could care less about it....but, the Mexicans sure do enjoy it. They buy t-shirts and all sorts of stuff. They collect stickers (calco's) and stick them on their cars. Remember, there isn't a lot of things for them to do living there full time. In the old days, Pemex did not gear up for the 1000 and trying to get home after the race could be a nightmare. Most stations were out of gas. No Hay!!!! Some of these companies spend millions of dollars to participate in the l000. Alot of it ends up in Mexico---so from that standpoint it is good. As for damaging the enviornment, I don't really think it does that much damage and is, I believe, driven over the same trails each year. Anyway, if you can afford to spend from $250,000 to over a million for a race, you probably could care less about the enviornment. The race brings alot of free advertising to the Baja too. These cars make me think of spending a million dollars to buy a yacth to go out and catch skipjack with.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:21 PM
BIGZAGGIN mi amigo

did your see see the film as already posted on this thread - DUST TO GLORY- guarantee it will change your mind on the racing! Mi Esposo y mi once stood in your shoes with the exact same thoughts. After seeing that move -- no mas! And yes it IS a sport! My heart is still pounding and that's only after seeing the movie!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:00 AM

I was rather enjoying this post until I read xoox’s irrelevant and somewhat irreverent comments (to me) posted here on 11-19-2006 at 3:17PM regarding the Army Reserve. Those comments are disrespectful to those of us who have served, and are continuing to serve in our country’s military, as active, reserve or National Guard. My suggestion is if you are not satisfied with the course of national policy, take your frustrations to the ballot box….do not disrespect those who are on the front lines.

Terry Callison
Captain, US Army Reserve (Ret)
"Proud to Serve"
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:34 AM
Your are gonna find a bunch---

here on this board that don't care and have no respect for the U.S Military .
Son of a WW2 Pacific 3 island invader
Brother of a Captain U.S. Army Reserve
proud conservative and Voter .

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.