BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Feelings on the 1000...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 05:46 PM

Life should be enjoyed without harming other people...

Telling others how to live, spend their money, what a sport is, etc. sounds like Marxism.

I like off road racing, it is a sport... The issue I have is the spectators (mainly locals) who leave all their beer cans, bottles, dirty diapers in the desert instead of hauling it home to the trash can.

We picked up trash around our area at El Crucero, as did the pit teams near us from what I saw.

I enjoy the desert as natural as it can be... humans are part of nature and should not be banned from the land God gave us... But, haul out what you bring in, please!

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalover71

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 07:57 PM

I camped just off the road about 35 miles south of Ensenada on the Course shortly after the paved road. Needless to say my buddies and i were 4 gringos amongst many locals. It was sad to see, but we witnessed such a lack of respect for the farmers property that allowed everyone to park on for a modest $5 fee. The locals were tearing down the barb wired fence on a consistant basis just to get a few feet closer to the course. How much closer do you need to get? They already had the mob mentality by throwing bottles, cans, chairs at passing vehicles not in the race... As far as getting hit by the race cars, hey......when you stand next to a race course with vehicles traveling at 60-70 mph maybe you deserve to be hit? So...its the racers responsibility? I dont think so... What about common sense?
There was trash everywhere...i didnt see one garbage bag. We packed all our trash as we say here in Santa Cruz. I was embarassed for the locals...no wonder the country side i litered with trash and looks like crap...my impression is that they dont care! i know third world countries have their issues, but when the locals are driving around in escalades and still throwing trash out the window...come on...it needs to start turning around somewhere.

PEACE
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 09:53 AM
Blame the Mexican Government

The Government sanctions the race and it has been going on for long enough that they are well aware of the crowd control problem. Since they are the ONLY ones in authority, it is their responsibility to maintain control and address cleanup issues. I wouldn't hold my breath, though, having seen piles of trash from other sources sit next to the highway for years.

While not a definitive scientific analysis of crowd behavior, over the years I attended numerous race events at Riverside International Raceway, and the Off-Road or NASCAR Stock Car attendees tended to be the most rowdy, the Sports Car crowd the least.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 10:38 AM
The reason the sporty car crowd was not rowdy

Quote:
While not a definitive scientific analysis of crowd behavior, over the years I attended numerous race events at Riverside International Raceway, and the Off-Road or NASCAR Stock Car attendees tended to be the most rowdy, the Sports Car crowd the least.

I too attended many, many races at Riverside.
The reason the sporty car guys were not rowdy is that not very many came to the races.
The NASCAR events, early on, had upwards of 100,000 in attendance, the only SCCA event I attended did not draw flies, and the Rex Mays 300 Indy Car race had a very small turnout.
We ran the first SCORE race there and the place was packed!

(Man, I miss that place!!)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 02:46 PM

The trash issue at the Baja races is a matter of educating the ignorant people doing it. Only in the last 20 or so years has there been any trash cans outside of gas stations. Governor Rufo had dumpsters put in Ensenada when he was mayor. The trash dump areas are just flat areas where the paper etc flies all around. There are no land fills to bury it. I doubt the school system teaches the kids to pick up their trash and help keep the countryside clean. But they should and there should be regular PSAs running on TV and bill boards etc everywhere to keep the country clean. It's not just Baja either, many people in the U.S. need educating too.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:55 AM

" Blame the Mexican Government" You are talking about 1000 miles. Why blame the government. I agree with the prior posting---take personal responsibility for where you and your family stand. These cars are really moving and have been know to go out of control. We can't keep blaming the government for our own stupidity. Not a flame just a fact.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:15 AM

The film clip was emailed to me from a Nomad... It is movie clips with sound showing a Trophy Truck making contact with a sombrero wearing spectator who just had to put his body way out out of the crowd at the Ojos Negros jump...

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:50 AM

the link asks for a sign in to hotmail?!
what's the deal here, where is the video?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 12:10 PM

Never been able to undertand the 4x4 crowd. Call 'em mudders down south. Harmless, but tear the heck out of dirt roads after a rain. Use 4-wheel drive only as a last resort, such as getting to my house.:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
the link asks for a sign in to hotmail?!
what's the deal here, where is the video?

Hi Mike, I thought the url I posted was the film clip... I will be happy to email it to anyone, as I do not know how to post a film clip here...

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 06:16 AM

thx DK - not sure exactly what you posted but like i said it takes me to a sign in for hotmail. but yeah i'd like to watch it so email me the text for the site. thx.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 09:44 AM
Sports Car Crowds

It was true that Riverside Raceway didn't exactly fill to the seams whenever SCCA Regional events were held. I enjoyed having plenty of space in the turn 6 grandstands and not having to fight a huge crowd when exiting. The bigger races, including the CanAm series usually drew a full house, though, and the spectators were still better behaved.
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 10:01 AM

At the Baja 1000 start in the wash, the crowd kept moving closer and closer to the racers as the day went on. The policia had to play 'sheepdog' and herd the crowd back to their original spot on the hill.

I have to admit to getting a little 'numb' to the speed after awhile, wanting to inch forward for a closer 'look' before catching myself...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 10:49 AM
Parting the Crowd

Years ago, I remember seeing a B/W movie clip from one of the Carrera Panamericana races back in the 50s. A camera mounted in one of the race cars showed the Mexican crowds filling the roadway ahead and parting like a wave as the cars came through, barely missing being hit.

Carnage resulting from those encounters was one of the main reasons the race was discontinued.

[Edited on 11-23-2006 by MrBillM]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
thx DK - not sure exactly what you posted but like i said it takes me to a sign in for hotmail. but yeah i'd like to watch it so email me the text for the site. thx.

Okay Mike... I will email you the clip... Happy Thanksgiving!

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 11:42 AM

Here is a link to the clip.
The guy never even saw Pfleugers TT. he was too busy trying to figure out why everything in his viewfinder looked like a tire. He was on one kneee and had two people standing next to him. He couldn't have gotten out of the way even if he had seen the truck.

http://www.dirtworksfilms.com/videos/ojosinsanity.wmv

It came across Weatherman Diablo as a death but turned out not to be. Glad for Allen the guy didn't die. They should make a giant poster of one of the frames and post it out at Ojos jumps for every race.
burro bob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 11:51 AM

Thanks Burro Bob!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.