Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: smooth as a baby's butt- road graded to Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 09:31 AM
smooth as a baby's butt- road graded to Asuncion

The day before yesterday, the governor was here to announce the next stage of paving the road from the highway in from Vizcaino to the village of bahia Asuncion. He claimed it would be finished in 2007 which would be a dream come true for all the residents here. We like it when the governor comes as the road gets graded real pretty and yesterday it was as smooth as a bebe's trasero. So it's a great time to explore this part of the coast! They fixed it up real nice....filled in all the washouts after the big rain.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:42 AM

Sure wish the Gov. would Punta Chivato
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:05 AM

That is very good news!

Thanks for the new polabra: tracero, I like that.

Iflyfish
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:19 AM

Road or no road, the problem with Asuncion is there's just nowhere to stay out there!

Great lobster though if you can get to the fisherman right when they pull their boats in.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:24 AM

FAST FORWARD 20 YEARS:

nomads:

I am just writing to inform all nomads that local lobster fisherman have taken up arms and shooting gringos and dynamiting the 6 lane freeway into town. We have locked ourselves in our Bed and Breakfast (we are still open though!) and feel safe. The weather is perfect, the water is roughly 200 feet visibility, and the wind is calm (unless you're sailing, then its downwind all the way here and back!). The beaches, though patrolled by pescaderos in search of invaders, are stunning. We are hoping to get our metro proposal passed next week which would stop right in front of our B&B! (did i mention we are still open?).

[Edited on 11-17-2006 by Bajamatic]

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by Hose A]

yuletide
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:31 AM

Dear bajamatic and zigzaggin: I really don't understand your animosity. I was asked by other nomads to please post when the road was graded as it makes a huge difference to the drive in. What is the problem here? I understood this board was about finding out about baja, the roads, where to stay, what to do etc. A visitor here suggested I check out this board and he said it would be great to tell folks about our area which many baja officianados don't even know about. I love my village and enjoy sharing it with others for the good of all concerned. AS far as our B&B goes, we don't even have a sign and only rent out our room to friends who like to hang out with us and don't want to stay in a little hotel with no view on the main street. It is not a big deal and I really don't think I'm promoting THAT...what I mean to do is share the beauty here while helping out my fellow villagers who may benefit from a few more pesos that visitors bring. Most people who come, we have helped find out where to camp, surf, party, fish etc. Good information is valuable and usually welcome.
I'm really am getting bored with your negative, useless, nasty comments. I don't think anybody else wants to hear them either. I was just going to ignore you but I woke up in a particularly defensive mood this morning.
So if YOU don't want to know when our road is graded...butt out culero and don't open my posts.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 10:00 AM

Say what you will mijita, but the apparent subtext of 99.99% of your postings is "...so check out my B&B."

The surf has been good around here...so check out my B&B

The fish is delicious in these parts...so check out my B&B.

Look at this gorgeous photo...it was taken near my B&B.

The road was just graded...way easier to get to my B&B now.

Also, personally, I'm not a fan of unsolicited advice on Baja etiquette ie "Let me explain to you (marooons) the proper way to procure lobster in Baja." As it was explained to me, advice is doled out when asked for. Personally, I find many of your postings ripe with self-righteous condescenion, as if teaching the Baja rules - as you perceive them - is somehow in your job description.

Of course, I don't know you at all. But I don't know anyone on this board. I only know what they say. And CLEARLY you don't know this "culero," or you'd recognize that "butting out" is unlikely :spingrin:

For the record, I've got nothing but respect for David K. The guy is walking GPS who knows that pile of stones was once a mission.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 10:53 AM

Lets remain amigos people... I invited Shari to Baja Nomad after she contacted me, and I offered to make the web pages because very little to nothing was on the Internet about Bahia Asuncion. The town really needed something to bring in more visitors, according to Shari.

It is very selfish to keep an area poor so you can have it to yourselves. The people of Baja villages could really have a better life if we visit places like Asuncion more. There are plenty of open beaches and desert just a few miles from Asuncion, so don't keep the town poor so it remains quiet for your vacation.

I appreciate the complements on my 'knowing a pile of rocks is a mission', etc. but the subject here is insulting Shari (a nice person) when she has something to offer the Baja traveler in her little corner of the peninsula.

Now, how about keeping the insults to yourselves and post here on Nomad only things that benefit the people of Baja California and those who love to travel there!;D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:15 AM

Shari,

I really enjoy your posts and still hope to make it out there. We hoped to be on the road now, but the old knee goes in for a tune-up next week.

However, can you arrange for the governor to visit again right before we travel? :spingrin:

Keep posting the good information, and the great photos.

Diane

jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 12:13 PM

David, I was gonna but as usual, you said it best. Well said.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 12:19 PM

I am one that has asked Shari to let us know when the road is graded and for any other information she wishes to share about her wonderful little town. I really enjoy and appreciate all of Shari's and her wonderful daughter's posts. I think they have been a great addition to Nomads and do not share any opinions to the contrary.
Please keep up the great work !

Whereas I can understand Larry's concerns, I do not understand the others'. I can read text; not subtext. Do you need special glasses ??

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 05:21 PM

Larry - I should have made clearer my "signing" of another member - my bad. It was 100% intended to be clear that i was writing a ficticious message.

Here's another ficticious message, that I made up, to make fun of shari for her self promoting and self righteous posts. i will sign it, "Sherry", who is from this point forward my imaginary friend who lives in baja.

dear nomads:

I am writing in response to Big Zaggin's post inquiring about the condition of the beaches here is sunny baja. I am so happy to report that they are GREAT! The view is perfect from our B and B. The surf is perfect (stay at my b and b), the lobster fishing excellent (my b and b is open and ready for you) (though you better bring your own Maine Lobsters, since you will be incarcerated immediately for poaching if you have a spiny, or pacific lobster in your hands , because more then likely you have obtained that illegally from the fisherman, who FYI will be really peeed about selling it to you. AND - if you DO engage in illegal lobster purchases, please be fair). Also, I run a small B and B here, and I want to share it with everybody!

signed,

Sherry, bajamatic's invisible, imagenary friend (not to be confused with SHARI - the lady from ascuncion who also, appearantly, owns a B and B).

that came to me directly from my new friend. She lives with miguel amarillo in a place in baja that is perfect, save for the occasional lynch mob. I read it over and over and think I might have spotted some subtext, but i just can't be sure. anyway, back to the lecture at hand (free pacifico for anyone who can correctly name the source of that line). I hope to get to your little neck of the woods before your word gets out and you become a successful b and b tycoon. have you been to the famed "cuatros casas"? I think you would LOVE it.

yuletide
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:56 PM

Bajamatic and bigzaggin,

I have very much appreciated and enjoyed Shari's posts and the posts of those who have visited Shari and Juan in Asuncion. What I have read and seen display the very hard work of a dedicated couple who are invested in their community and in the wellbeing of those of us who read this forum. I have learned a lot from her posts. I was pleased to find out that they had facilities available for travelers in such a remote place. I have seen wonderful pictures of happy faces on the people who visit there. I have seen pictures of Shari teaching an ESL class to a group of smiling local people. I have read her posts about lobsters and road conditions. I am glad that I have this information.

I have read some of Shari's cultural comments. She is a Canadian who married a Mexican man. She has a unique and valuable perspective on Mexican culture.

I have exchanged emails with Shari. We plan to visit Juan and Shari soon. In my inimable style, and recognizing that they live in a remote area, I have inquired as to what we might bring to make their life easier. She tells me that local people would appreciate things Canadian like pins, banners etc. These things are not for her, they are for the people that live in her community.

I read in Shari's posts and in her emails a real love for and pride in her family, community and in Baja. This is the sort of Baja Nomad that I first met some thirty years ago in Baja. This is the very sort of open handed, loving people that I have met and appreciated in my prior visits to Mexico. These are generative people who are making a life for themselves and doing positive things for their community. I admire this sort of positive person. I am pleased to call her amiga.

I have recently read with great saddness of the loss of wonderful Nomads on this list. I have read this week of a wonderful woman from BLA who was murdered. I read posts from people who spent time with her and her husband. I read similar posts about Shari and Juan. These wonderful, generative people are the sort that deserve our respect and support.

I would never have found out about Ascuncion with out Shari's posts. I would not have had any real feel for the place had not visitors posted on their experiences there. I love the pics of the blond Nomad kid having the Mexican birthday song sun to him by a group of Mexican friends of Shari and Juans. I loved Shari's comments about cross cultural experiences and how pleased she is to suppport them. These comments display an open and loving heart.

Shari and Juan have a Bed and Breakfast in Asuncion. I am very pleased to have learned of this on BajaNomads.

I used to hear a saying in Mexico, it went something like this, "Mi Casa es Tu Casa"", please excuse my bastardised Spanish. I have understood this to mean "my hourse is your house". I understand this to be a longstanding Mexican tradition and one that I get clearly from Shari in her posts. She genuinely enjoys the people who stay with her, most of them at any rate, and it is clear that their hospitality far exceeds that which is minimally necessary to run a Bed and Breakfast.

These people appear to me to be the "real deal", genuinely good people who are trying to make a life for themselves by providing service to others and bringing some measure of prosperity to their community. I commend them on these efforts.

The hospitality business is sometimes not an easy life, particularly when they have to deal with unkind and disrespectful people. However that goes with the "hospitality" business. When one opens their house to people one can never tell who will walk in.

I realize that this is not a forum for advertisement. I do however notice links to various sites on the forum and frequently follow them I appreciate that. But what are they to do? Not talk about what they are doing. Not let people know about the road. Not talk about how their community is dealing with crime? Not warn us about posessing illegal lobster? I wish others who were doing things like they are doing would write about their endeavors. As someone who does not live in Baja, this is a real service for me. Show pictures of your B and B. Show pictures of the food you serve. Show pictures of people enjoying themselves with you. I would appreciate that!

Iflyfish when not watching good people get kicked in the gut
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 12:17 AM

Bajamatic and bigzaggin,

See Shari's typical self serving post about the celebration of Nov 20. Again one can clearly see how she is promoting her Bed and Breakfast in these posts. One can clearly see her self serving, self promoting nature. Something must and should be done about this!!

Iflyfish when I don't have a bone in my teeth.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 12:19 AM

See thread:

Revolution celebration Nov.20

Iflyfish when not being defensive
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 06:57 PM

I am having a really hard time understanding why a couple of..... , sorry I just can't but a label on them, can push my button to make me respond to this. Just appears to me Shari's post are informative. If you would like to see her promotions just go to her site at the bottom of her posts. Then maybe you be gracious enough to add something constructive.,,,, Maybe not?
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 07:55 PM
Yo flyfish

Thanks flyfish, I missed that "Revolution celebration Nov. 20" post. Truly one of the best posts on Nomads.

Shari's contributions are the 'real deal' and provide information that will help Baja Nomads make their travels successful.

Shari has been a breath of new air on a board full of disgruntled old coots.

Now get that bone out of your teeth and go flyfish.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 07:55 PM

In MY opinion there are a couple of people posting to this thread who are out of line. Correct me if & where I'm mistaken:

a. This site is to share information on the Baja Peninsula.
b. This site it to share locations, lodging, camping, restaurant information & reviews.
c. There are a lot of people who post to this site who have URL's or links to their business as part of their signature.
d. This site has a lot of threads involving what is legal vs illegal & many regarding things which are legal for Mexicans is not necessarily legal for non-Mexicans.
e. The majority of people who come to this site come here to learn; to gain information from those of us who have spent enough time on the Baja to have learned some of the pitfalls to avoid.

If you have a problem with any actual or perceived self-promotion, please start your own thread initiating discussion to possibly ban self-promotion if you feel that strongly about it. If you don't like what Shari or anyone else says, you could either avoid those person's posts altogether, or state your disagreement/objections respectfully, in a civil, polite manner. IMHO, Shari has only posted interesting, humorous, informative, insightful, knowledgeable posts. This is the first thread I've seen anyone challenge her information, let alone personally attack her! I've never met Shari, nor have I ever been to Asuncion, but I can tell from her posts that she is a genuinely nice, caring person who truly cares about the people she lives among. She cares about their welfare & what is in their best interest & that caring comes through in her posts.

If the information contained in any post is not of interest to you, then bypass it rather than launching an all out personal attack on the author for writing something that IS of interest to the majority or readers. It is possible to state a difference of opinion politely! And the creation of parody posts is, IMHO, rude, immature & inexcusable! But that's just my opinion! :fire::fire:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Dear bajamatic and zigzaggin: I really don't understand your animosity.

I do. At times I share it. Towards the behaviors of you, of David K., and a number of others who are using this medium to enthusiasticaly expose and promote relatively unknown areas of the Peninsula, thereby possibly accelerating development by money-heavy outsiders. Is that exploitation inevitable? Probably. Is it good for the locals? I worry about that... a lot. Are a few folks in key positions (as are you, for example) really able to affect the flow of events? I believe so. This is a powerful medium through which a single person CAN influence events and I believe we need to take that responsability veeery seriously. I don't know if postponing exposure will help the situation, but I do fret over it...

Does this mean I don't like you? It doesn't. You seem like a wonderful person with the best of intentions. But I do worry about what you're doing with this promotional campaign...

--Larry

Larry..I have understood and agreed with perhaps 90% of your posts and like you (I think) retail commercialization of Nomads should be limited. I believe there is benefit in long term, giving and informative Nomads, who promote a general area and by doing so reap some benefit.
Well as I understand you, you object solely on the grounds of "If there is advertisement of Baja," you will have to share everything you don't own with the rest of the world. I fell the same way and I have just begun to explore Baja. It is something inside you that you must come to grips with or it will eat you up. Your are to nice a person to let this be an issue, that you know inside, it cannot be avoided.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Albert

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 09:04 PM
Shari-----

----I have thoroughly enjoyed ALL of your posts, as well as your daughter, Serenita's posts. Please keep posting just the way you have been---both of you.

I spent several delightful days in B. Asuncion a couple of years ago, camping right on the cliffs towards the west end of town, and we loved it--------everybody was so nice to us, also. On that 2 week trip we covered a lot of the peninsula, using Asuncion as our southward anchor point, branching out from there to coastal points north.

It was great, but we were amazed at the lack of other tourists-----------this is a great area, and thank you for promoting it, and telling us of it's charms.

Best of luck to you in the future. You are a true "nomad".

Barry
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.