Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Weapons refresher
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 06:22 PM

Don Alley...

MAN O' MAN...those GOLF BALL RETRIEVERS can really be a dangerous weapon
in the hands of the right person. It sure scared the H_ _ _ out of me!!!

That video was too funny...thanks!

AMO
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 07:12 PM
Some Serious...Some Funny

The forum lately has had much news to get upset over.

The responses have tended to be well intended and heart-felt.

The notions of security recommended have contained some sensible ideas, but some caution needs to be thrown in to temper some of the ideas presented.

Some folks on this forum likely have military experience and/or policing backgrounds. I would imagine that those who have had first-hand experience with serious confrontation/combat/violence have not said much as they recognize what it feels like and what can actually happen in such situations.

Such ideas as using car/house keys for self defense sound good on Oprah but hurt like hell for the person who tries to apply them in real time applications (try it, and unless proficient you will be as injured as your attacker, possibly leaving that had injured for your next move).

Do not use a weapon unless you are prepared to carry through to the fullest possible extent....you run the risk that you may be disarmed and have the weapon used on you. Hesitation loses many a fight.

Martial art experience will train a person to kick the side of a knee before the side of a head; police batons are applied more effectively to knees than heads or groins.

I believe it is important to avoid a confrontation rather than get into one, but if in it, act swiftly and with deadly force.

Few of us are able to do that.

The violence reported lately is deeply disturbing and we have all found ways to respond.

Either practice your parry and thrust with deadly intention, or learn to avoid and get away.

Let's hope these items appear rarely.

Best to all,
Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 08:47 PM

well said ged

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 09:02 PM

Alas, I am no match for the Super Administrator.

Nice find. :lol:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 10:04 PM

Pepper spray has been effective many times in Glacier Park in grizzly bear incidents. I'm surprised you don't know this Barry A.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 12:28 AM
Paula-------

----Perhaps I am out of date.

When I was the Bear Management Officer in Glacier National Park in 1968 we found that "sprays" did more to irritate the bears than chase them away. This was before "Pepper Spray". We used tranquilizers, or Magnums to control bears then, both often with fatal results. I learned to really dispise bears during that year----totally unpredictable, and always dangerous!!! Man and bears will never be compatible, in my opinion, and I vigorously oppose any reintroduction of bears. To give you some idea of where I am coming from, our contract and permanent NPS "bear biologists" REFUSED to deal with any bear until I had totally rendered them helpless with tranquilizers, and blind folded the bears--------only then would the "biologists" even come anywhere near the bears-----they were convinced that if the bears "saw" them, they would "come back" to get them in the night, or something-----it was bazaar, but it impressed me!!

When I was a ranger in the CA desert in 70's and early 80's, we found that our sprays, both MACE and Pepper, were largely ineffective against aggressive animals, but very effective against humans.

I have been out of the loop for about 11 years now, so perhaps you know something I don't know. Personally, I rely on mechetes in Baja, and Magnums in the USA, for self protection.

Still, "sprays" were often very effective in dealing with aggressive humans, and we used them from time to time with excellent results. It was a good alternative to shooting people, and resulted in more happy endings.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 10:59 AM

Hook, Lencho,

Thank you for your replies regarding military checkpoints and machetes. A few years ago I had a diver's knife stashed by the driver's seat. One soldier was very interested in it. He wanted me to give it to him. When I told him I need it he asked "porque?" I told him I am a diver. He then wanted to buy it but I refused. He did not take it away. I came to the conclusion that he just wanted it personally but I didn't want to tell him I considered it a defensive weapon.

We are all trying to determine what would be the most effective defensive weapon to carry without having it taken away or worse, getting arrested. I have bought a can of wasp spray and also a 9" fisherman's filet knife. Hopefully the only use it will get is to filet a Yellowtail.

I am interested in the bear spray. If one has to use it, wouldn't the spray intended for bears be more powerful than the spray intended for humans? I would think, if I had to save my life I would prefer being "loaded for bear". Maybe there is a difference in the formulas that would make the one intended for self-defense on humans more effective on humans. Anybody know the answer to this?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 11:55 AM
Good question, toneart------

----on "bear spray" versus "human spray"-----unfortunately I do not know the answer.

Paula?????
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 12:13 PM

I am pretty sure that the bear spray is a different formula than that intended for humans , have seen bear spray demonstrated on tv and it was very effective also a co2 fire extinguisher is a good substitutu use up the contents and beat the bandit with the bottle common sense is the best defense if it feels wrong it proably is in that case leave jim:yes:
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 12:43 PM
I'll repeat...

I put this same info in another post of this genre, but, here it is again.

I was given a 16" pistol, trigger/grip pneumatic spear gun when I started scuba diving. It piercad a halibut head from 6' away with no problem. I would think you don't even need to aim to kill. I'm pretty sure getting hit anywhere with a double barbed break away spear point with a line tied to it with you holding the other end, would just about freeze anyone in his steps. The idea of you yanking that line would probably subdue anybody into complete passivness.

Just be sure you carry a mask and snorkle with the speargun.

I also carried a machete that I was very good with, practiced it all the time and also a pepper sprayer and a fire extinguisher. (I tripped over the damn thing while I was trying to escape Grunt when she was on fire!
We both got fried.

To protect gear left on roof rack like poles, or, kayakes, etc,
I bought an air canister shreeker attatched to a motion detector. I jumped 3 feet stright in the air when that thing went off. Probably give a thief a heart attack if its a nice peacefull night..

SURPRISE !!!!:lol:

Ok, are we all up to speed here about what we can and cannot take into Baja?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 03:10 PM

We spent the summer in Alaska and got to personally witness the effectiveness of the new bear sprays. In fact, at Hyder, Alaska, where they watch the bears fishing for salmon in the river, the rangers will tell you that all of the local bears over 3 years old have all been sprayed and all you have to do if they get aggressive is to make a "psssst" sound and the bears, both browns and blacks, will high-tail it out of there fast.
You need to watch the percentage of pepper in the spray as it varies greatly, and if you spray it properly, it will stop bears as well as humans in their tracks.
n8nlee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
I was given a 16" pistol, trigger/grip pneumatic spear gun

I know this has nothing to do with the intended purpose of the pneumatic, but in Mexico only band guns are allowed for spearfishing.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 03:42 PM
weapons of choice

Quote:
Originally posted by M
To protect gear left on roof rack like poles, or, kayakes, etc,
I bought an air canister shreeker attatched to a motion detector. I jumped 3 feet stright in the air when that thing went off. Probably give a thief a heart attack if its a nice peacefull night..

Ok, are we all up to speed here about what we can and cannot take into Baja?

I'm almost up to speed and thank you for asking.

I haven't declared my weapon of choice so will do it now:

http://www.beststungun.com/streetwise-stun-gun-pen.html?gcli...

My choice is a unique flashlight that literally cannot be ID'd as anything but what it appears to be.

Effective, non-lethal, but, close-in contact. If you're not comfortable with close-up and personal, stick with a small spear gun or machete, or both.

I'll stick with a flashlight. I actually prefer up close. Better control of the situation.

P.S. The trigger is a button on the side of the flashlight. This device is legal in most US states.

:cool::yes:
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 07:55 PM
Hi N8nee

I didn't know about the 'bands only' rule in Baja, However, I have never had it questioned since it was in with my scuba gear. The military and other road block folk have seen it on a number of occasions.

The band powered spear guns have a helluva wallop to and I am more than sure it would be equally effective.
Thanks again for the heads up...
M
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 08:04 PM
Stun Gun Power,

800,000 volts is a lot, but it is far from fatal, unless I suppose you had a bad ticker.
What would do serious damage to someone is amperage and the S.Gs don't have that.
M
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
800,000 volts is a lot, but it is far from fatal, unless I suppose you had a bad ticker.
What would do serious damage to someone is amperage and the S.Gs don't have that.
M

Here's a curious question. Larry brought up the question of effectiveness. How can I test the effectiveness? I doubt I'll get even a paid volunteer though there's no harm in asking?

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:20 AM

drink plenty of T-quilla, turn the switch on, and touch your thigh with the device................

Please video record the above, then share with us
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
drink plenty of T-quilla, turn the switch on, and touch your thigh with the device................

Please video record the above, then share with us

I haven't had any tequila today so I'm writing this sober.

Regarding the above procedure, should I be afraid?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:33 AM

NOW - would be interesting if it is available in EU, does anyone know?
And I agree - better to have something at HAND if it comes to close up's. Don't want the pepper spray then in MY eyes.

Lee - keep us updated how it works!!:biggrin:

BTW - your signature does say anyway - GIVE until it HURTS :lol:

[Edited on 22-11-2006 by FARASHA]

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 08:44 AM
stun gun

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by M
M

Here's a curious question. Larry brought up the question of effectiveness. How can I test the effectiveness? I doubt I'll get even a paid volunteer though there's no harm in asking?

Lee do you have a cat???:lol::lol::bounce:: before i catch hell from the cat lovers just a joke
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.