BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road to La Purisma
fshndiv

[*] posted on 12-23-2003 at 10:37 PM
Road to La Purisma

Anyone know the condition of the paved dirt road that goes from south of Mulege over to the pacific side at La Purisma?Heading for the northern Mag Bay area and looking for a scenic route.

Thanks in advance

Brian and Tami
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 11:46 AM
La Purisima

Paved dirt road ??? It is dirt and as far as I know, it is passable. I talked to some people that were headed to Punta Peque?a using that route and they didn't come back so I am assuming they made it.
It is a very pretty route too so I higly recommend taking a camera. Please report back when you know about the road conditions. Merry Christmas
fshndiv

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 12:16 PM
Paved Dirt Road?

Yea, I screwed up there. meant to say grated dirt road. Sounds like it's worth a shot though huh? We're leaving tommorrow. I'll post the conditions when I get back.

Thanks,

Brian
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2003 at 01:47 PM

We were on the road a few days ago and it is fine. Have fun
fshndiv

[*] posted on 1-6-2004 at 09:12 AM
Trip Report

Well, I'm afraid we chickened out. Asked some folks at Mulege about the road and after looking at the boats we were towing, they weren't sure we'd make it. Already had enough adventure after jack knifing one of the trailers below San Quintin and then losing a bearing set at Catavina. Took the road to Ciudad Insurgenses instead then north to La Poza Grande and finally winding through the cactus down a dirt road to the north extreme end of Mag Bay. Great place! Never saw another gringo the whole time. Plenty of Pangeros though. They are gill netting the heck out of the place only keeping the halibut and corvina, throwing the dead bay bass back. Don't know how long that will last before the fish are nearly gone. I had heard they hadn't hit that area yet. I guess it just a matter of time.
jim janet
Junior Nomad

sad.gif posted on 3-13-2004 at 07:11 PM
La Purisma

We were looking for adventure and found lots my oil and transmission pans are almost bent out of shape.This is one sob road I wish I had turned aroundat the top of the first swich back. Then at kic,63 three army guys asked about guns and drugs. A great trip for a4 wheel lots of clearence but not for a dodge caravan:
kutsie

rolleyes.gif posted on 3-13-2004 at 11:04 PM
La Purisima or San Javier

In a couple of weeks I'll be driving in that area in a compact rental car. Anyone know if it would be realistic to go from Hwy 1 to La Purisima, or from Loreto to San Javier in that type of car?

thanks, Linda
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2004 at 08:43 PM
don't do it

The best advice I can give you is to stay on the pavement with a compact rental car. Do not attempt to drive into the back country. If anything happens you are sol. fishin rich
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 05:17 PM

I motorcycled the road from Hwy 1 to San Isidro/La Purisima last week, there has been little work done on it since last years hurricanes and much of it has reverted back to the two track road it used to be years ago. It is easily if slowly traveled by any vehicle with a little clearance but a standard car will probably have some damage.
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 09:08 PM

It is always relative....we have all been in our high clearance vehicles etc only to find a local trekking along in their 1985 family sedan. It is normally about taking your time...Over the years in distant past to recent times, I have taken all sorts of vehicles from Loreto up to San Javier. If you go, think about a donation to the school....
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 11:34 PM
Quality of dirt road to SJ Commundo San Javier...

A little over a year ago I drove on a dirt road accessed from Highway 1 close to Rancho San Juan Londo just south of the military checkpoint towards Loreto from Mulege. I drove througha valley dirt road through the Sierra De La Gigantas for about 2 hours to reach San Jose de Comondu San Migel de Comondu area.

I have a GEO Tracker 4x4 and I would not recommend anyone taking this dirt road route without a dependable 4x4 or good high clearance truck. I drove out from San Jose de Commundo San Migel de Comondu area to San Javier and then over a dirt road with lots of switchbacks to reach Loreto. Most of the dirt road is good, but parts would be very rough on a rental car or any car.

The enclosed picture is looking towards San Jose de Commundo when I reached the end of the summit after driving through a valley in the Sierras from Highway 1. It looked like a picture right out of the Lost World. It was a beautiful drive, but many parts were real rough with many washouts in the arroyos.

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.