Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1st Time Visit
Litza

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 11:05 PM
1st Time Visit

Hello Nomads,
First off, I am already pleased to have found this site! Lots of helpful info and amusing stories.
I am planning a trip to Loreto in February that will include kayaking, mountain biking and hiking in a group. I am considering extending my stay a day or two and venturing off solo to head west to catch the whales and to bask in the sunshine for a few more hours before returning to the rainy Northwest.
I am a bit hesitant to commit to the extension because I don't know how comfy/safe I may feel in the area. I am generally fine in stranger in a strange place situations, but I don't know...age must be tempering my spontaneity, or I have read a story or two re less fortunate agressors preying on gringos maybe.
Any words of wisdom to share?
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 09:35 AM

Had a friend who lost a kayak taken from the top of his truck in the Calmex parking lot on a busy week end-- Secure your Kayaks & bikes to the automobile! ~~Best is to have some one remain with the vechicle.~~

At every stop of any lenght of time and certainly at night we secure the Kayaks and Bikes to our automobile

We use coiled bike cables and a huge pad lock which is painted orange for security. The cable is passed throug around and in and out of the kayak & bikes and secured with the very visable bright orange pad lock. So far no problems. Most do not have cable cutters in their pockets.

I discovered bike cables at the 99 cent stores for what else? 99 cents! for that price pick up several!

Bikes are always indemand - Apparently the closer you are to the ocean the more attractive the Kayaks are and therefore the better targets.

So far so good--but someday I suspect I will return and discover the roof of the truck cut off with a huge can opener...that will be the day!

Have fun in Baja--but be secure!

DM
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Litza

...I am a bit hesitant to commit to the extension because I don't know how comfy/safe I may feel in the area. ...

If you have the time and resources to stay longer I imagine you will. Few people want to leave. Some never do.;D

Watch the weather, though. Try Buoyweather.com. Avoid strong north winds when kayaking.
Litza

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 10:50 AM

Guess I am wordy, but not very good at explanations...looks like I'll be doing this trip with Paddling South (Trudi's Company) and am pretty sure they will provide well for my safety. At the end of this scheduled romp, I am thinking of a few days of solo tripping. Probably staying in Loreto, hopefully venturing to see some whales. After reading some of the threads about progress(crime) in Baja Sur it just makes me wonder.
I can generally handle myself and am a capable lone traveller. Obviously a brush up on my high school Spanish will be required though.
Any gals care to share their insight?
I understand and smile with the thought "...few people want to leave..."
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 11:36 AM

Stay in Loreto at the Iguana Inn and day trip to the conception beaches for sun or to Puerto Lopez Mateo for whale watching. You can do either in a one day trip by car. Rental cars are available in Loreto.
Travel in daylight and only stop where there are other gringos and you will be fine.

kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 01:04 PM

Come on down.....there is nothing to have any reason for fear in Loreto....just use your common sense that you use anywhere you would travel. Lots of women travel alone and live alone here in Loreto. I am going on my 3rd year living here .....married and care for my 82 yr old mother.....and will spend the rest of my life here on my own.....of course should I loose my esposo first according to stastictics.......there are many places that will be of great help to you and I go everywhere on my own without being in any danger......you will have a wonderful time.....
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 01:43 PM

Litza...I would be remiss if I didn't ask you to read this thread in case you have not. Enjoy Baja, but be aware and stay safe.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20775

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Litza
I am generally fine in stranger in a strange place situations, but I don't know...age must be tempering my spontaneity, or I have read a story or two re less fortunate agressors preying on gringos maybe. Any words of wisdom to share?

Age tempers everything. How old are you?

Age makes a difference along with how much travel experience you have in 3rd world countries.

If you haven't done so, read every travel book available on Baja, and then Mexico. Do you know Spanish? If you don't, check the back of some travel books for travel words, sentences, and phrases in Spanish.

Most of all, confront whatever fear you have (if you have any) and listen to your intuition.

If I was advising you on travelling in Costa Rica, alone, I'd say don't do it. But, this is Baja. Things happen there, but not as much.

:cool:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 07:37 PM

Absolutely cannot make light of the horrible tragedy that has upset all Nomads...esp in an area that most of us adore!!! Having said that, you need to know that there are many BajaNomads that are women and who travel Baja solo. I know a couple of them that are already in Baja for the winter, but wish that they could reply to give you some of their tips.
My best advice would be to trust your intuition. If something doesn't feel safe...don't do it. Heed the advice posted elsewhere on this board.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Litza

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 08:30 PM

I did read about the recent demise of a respected Nomad on this site. It gave me a different perspective of life in Baja.

I also looked at the Iguana Inn as a possibility, except their units are for 4-6 people, a bit of overkill for little ol me.

Common sense is something I can supply, though sometimes I do push my luck a bit in comfortable surroundings. I will have to consciously maintain control while drinking, and all will be well.

Let's see, I just finished one of Graham Mackintosh's books, looking forward to the next, and I hope to get a hold of the Almanac as well.

Hmmm, travel in daylight hours and seek help from other gringos if necessary.

Doesn't seem to be more or less threatening than my suburbs, with the added spice of practicing Spanish. Thanks for your help folks, keep it coming if anything else occurs to you.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 10:05 PM

Litza,
The rooms at Iguana Inn mostly sleep 3 people, and the price per night is very reasonable for one. It is a friendly place, nice for meeting other travelers. You might not want to rule it out.

M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 05:30 AM
Hi Litza...

Welcome aboard! You have found a great group of people who may save your life some day. I have seen the people on this board jump into action within MINUTES of a Nomads posting they need help. FROM ANYWHERE. Just get yourself to an internet cafe. There is the best advise you will get if you get in a real fix.
I am a woman who traveled alone safely in Baja for years. my secret? I stayed invisible. I camped miles from the road, never in a campground. NOT a good idea to confirm that you are by yourself. I also got my shopping done while on the road. Once I was out of my van, people could see I was alone and I wouldn't want to lead a curious fellow back to my camp.
As far as leaving gear on the top of my van, I had a motion activated 'squeeler' that I would tie on to my Porta Bote when I stopped for the day. One little jolt and all hell broke loose, that whistle was powered by a little air canister that really provided decibles! I jumped 3 feet in the air the first time I heard it. On another thread here, legal weapons are discussed, check that out also. Well there are a couple thoughts, I'm sure you will get lots more. How are you getting around?
M
Litza

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:06 AM

The idea of staying at the inn with other travellers is so...European, and a possibility I will consider as it looks to be a nice place, location, etc. I was raised in a world where personal space is important,(stake it out and protect it), but like the idea of sharing/conversing with other folks.

Once again, I will most likely only be hanging around for a few days without definite plans. I'll be on foot, and on my arse enjoying the ambiance of Baja!

Where might one find an internet cafe in Loreto, as this looks to be my home for that portion of my visit. And great idea by the way M.

Wow, you folks are as helpful as I thought you would be! Thanks.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:13 AM

You will find internet services and cafes throughout Mulege and Loreto.. indeed most small towns and all cities...there are many to choose from. Just walk around and ask any shopkeeper or cafe patrons.

In Mulege there were at least 2 near the town square...The Pelican Reef, the Hacienda, and across the street from old El Nidos. Good Luck.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:24 AM

The easiest to find internet cafe in Loreto is on calle Madero, right next door to Cafe Ole. across from Bancomer, 1/2 block from the plaza-- right in the heart of town.

Trudi will tell you everything you need to know.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:47 AM

Paula - I think you meant Julie ?! If I remember it right.

LITZA -Look the Iguanna Inn up www.iguanainn.com has nice photos fron the rooms. Which vary in size. Friends stayed there early summer and they enjoyed the atmosphere.
BTW JULIE is also a member of this board ( thats also her Nomad name!), U2U her to get more details from her.

And there are some net cafes around town.
AND ( Summanus will have a go at me now!!) THERE IS A BAKERY RIGHT NEXT DOOR of Iguann Inn (just hope they still exsist) - Pancakes and all kind of delicious stuff all day. HM, great for breakfast, lunch and dinner there!!:biggrin:
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:51 AM

Farasha, Julie is at the Iguana Inn, and Trudi has Paddling South, who Litza is kayaking with. Both are very nice ladies with all the info on Loreto. Litza can't go wrong getting advice from either or both!

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:55 AM

OH - Sorry Paula - I'm not (yet) into paddling, so I don't know about Trudie. I'm Into diving. But do you know if the bakery is still there??
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 09:57 AM

Paula, I can remember meeting a Trudi many, many years ago in Conception Bay. I believe she was an instructor for either Outward Bound or NOLS..a kayaking school based there. Do you know if this might be the same as your friend, Trudi, in Loreto?

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:57 AM

that could have been Trudi, Summanis.

Farasha, there are 2 bakeries here. I like to stop in Santa Rsalia any time I pass thru to buy from El Boleo. Now please don't take that as a negative comment on our bakeries here in Loreto:saint::dudette::biggrin:

Edit: Oops!! Just read the end of your post Farasha-- the crepe place with the good cakes is still there. Not included in my assessment of our 2 regular bakeries-- the crepe place is the greatest!

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Paula]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.