Author: Subject: Family Seeks Online Help In Baja Murder Case
SUNDOG
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 09:17 AM
Family Seeks Online Help In Baja Murder Case

Family Seeks Online Help In Baja Murder Case

POSTED: 4:02 pm PST November 17, 2006
UPDATED: 4:44 pm PST November 17, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A family is seeking help in a murder case in Mexico from an unusual source -- off-road racing enthusiasts.

The family of Duane Curtis has been working the Internet this week, trying to get the word out about his death and the theft of his Jeep. The family is hoping someone can help lead authorities to an arrest. Their main focus is on Americans who are in Baja for racing.

Curtis, 73, was a retired communications engineer and Korean War veteran.

“They didn't have to do this. He was an old, defenseless man just sitting on the beach. I can't reconcile how anyone can do this,” said Curtis’ grandson Curt Minerd.

The incident happened just a few days after another traveler snapped a picture of Playa Armenta, a beach near Mulege and Bahia Conception, deep in Baja. The photographer sent the picture to the family after seeing a web posting titled, “My father was murdered south of Mulege.”

The picture shows Curtis enjoying his vacation.

“He liked solitude. He loved the beach and swam a lot, snorkeled or sat on the beach to read,” said Curtis’ daughter Lisa Minerd.

Minerd has many fond memories of her father. She said Curtis had friends all over the world. His friends and his family were devastated by his death.

Another e-mail told the family of seeing a Jeep that might be his. The family is hoping somebody traveling the thousand-plus miles between Ensenada and La Paz might have seen the vehicle, too.

The vehicle is a 2000 Jeep 4x4 with a large, black luggage rack and a big dent in the rear door.

It was a difficult trip for the family this week to claim the body. Mexican authorities, they said, were not very cooperative. Viewing crime scene photos were part of the difficult process.

A caretaker for the beach named Gigi found Curtis’ dog wandering around and held on to her for the family. It is a connection to the man they lost and miss.

“I’ll miss his dry, witty sense of humor. He traveled the world and had a lot of stories to tell,” said Minerd.

The family has supplied a variety of links to off-road racing Web sites and message boards in hopes of finding someone with knowledge of Curtis’ death.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-18-2006 at 09:26 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20775&pag...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.