BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Surf Trip Questions
seabright_sc

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 10:14 PM
Surf Trip Questions

Taking the family down after x-mas for about 10 days or so. We're heading as far south as Guerro Negro to see the whales. Of course I'll be bring the boards.

We'll have a short board, but we primarily long board. My Ten year old is just learning to surf.

I'd be interested in spots worth checking that are long board friendly(nice long points;D), and relatively easy to access. We'll be traveling in two vans with decent clearace, but no 4wd. The wife will definitely be interested in areas that she could relax and explore that would be enjoyable with our two year old. We're seasoned travelers/campers, but relativey new to Baja (it'll be my wife and 2 year old's first time).

I'm thinking:

Shipwrecks/4 casas (if the swells big enough, )
Punta Camalu
Punta Baja
Santa Rosalillta
The Wall (can we access with 2wd?)

I've been to Shipwrecks and cuatro casas, thought they'd be worth checking. The other spots on my list were suggested by others. I'd be interested to here other ideas.

Thanks!

[Edited on 11-20-2006 by seabright_sc]
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 07:33 AM

Try El Tomatal about 1 hr. north of G.N good left and rights also good point break south end of beach but needs a south swell.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:03 AM

Its a bit further south, but well worth the trip. San Juanico.

here is a link to that wonderful place. http://juanyjuan.com/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:09 AM

Might be careful at Camalu--heard of some people getting ripped off or hurt there last year--it was mentioned on this site but couldn't find the incident in the search engine.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:44 AM

Just my two cents worth, but these days I try to get south of Camalu before I head out to the coast. You might think about staying your first night at the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario. Very nice accomodations and a nice way to start your trip. I quick jaunt out to the coast at Punta Baja may reveal a surf spot or two. After that, I'd head south and just follow your map. 2WD will get you most places, if you're careful. Enjoy the desert and the coast and have fun. But don't tell anybody about it when you get home. You might pee off the the Sacred Saints of the Secret Spots.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 09:00 PM

10 year old kid?
I raised three and our fav was Santa Rosalillita, however adult fun was few and far between(as far as the surf goes).
I scared my oldest son, (12 at the time) surfing one of the more swell exposed points, a set wave came his way and we hooted him into it and he rode it all the way in, he was locked in and physically couldnt kick out, he ended up getting washed in and out over the large cobbles a couple of times, from then on it was Punta SR for his sessions, he once stayed out for 9 hrs riding mushbugers at SR, have fun! be safe!
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 09:37 AM

The above reports are correct about Camalu...that place is ugly, risky and not a particularly good wave. Punta Baja is a nice place to camp but swell needs to be really really big to even get in there. Even then, it's just a mediocre longboard wave.

You can make it to the Wall in 2wd. You won't be alone, but it's a fun wave.
seabright_sc

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 05:27 PM

Thanks for all that input! I'll skip Camalu, Scorpion Bay seems like a summer spot and a little too far south for this trip. Keep send in suggesttions and Happy Thanksgiving!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.