Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Gypsies snorkel with sealions in Asuncion
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 01:25 PM
Gypsies snorkel with sealions in Asuncion

As part of the littlest gypsies 8th birthday party, we took the family spearfishing and they all were delighted as the sea lions brushed up against them and played with them. Todd gave one his biggest fish...the biggest he's ever speared. The gypsies were in San Roque all week, eating lobster, snorkeling, surfing, boogieboarding, fossil hunting and suckin back ballenas! The birthday fiesta was an awesome cultural exchange event where the local kids loved the piñata stuffed with canadian candy and prizes. the cake was divine and Juan and tio Javier even played the traditional birthday mañanitas to Simon. There were also 6 cruisers off sailboats who joined the festivities and yellow tail BBQ. I can safely say a good tiime was had by all and we earned our hangovers!Today the gypsies head for Mulege, we'll miss them!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 01:24 PM

What fun!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Iflyfish
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 01:46 PM

You are correct Shari, we had a blast, and can't wait to get back to your place!!!!
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 03:35 PM

This is a hard one for me. I fish long and hard and rarely catch sheepshead. They are a rare catch for a line fisherman. Yet, I see spearfishermen take them regularly. I asked on once why, and he said because they are so curious/smart, they come right up to you. I have seen spear guys in Gonzaga take 20 large groupers in a day, when I had only caught one in three years. Suffice it to say I believe in the right of man to take dinner from the sea, but, random slaughter is a totally different thing. I can only hope those fish were fresh and delicious food for many that night. If so, that is wonderful.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
CShirk

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:13 PM

you'd have to be real hungry too. sheapshead isn't exactly the best fish i have ever had. Most of the time it reminds me of some kind of tapioca (sp?)... yuck. Maybe I just haven't prepared it correctly??
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:41 PM

I just would like to let you know, that we do hunt, but we only hunt what we can eat. We gave one of those fish to Shari and Juan, and the other 2 I made soup with to feed my family of 6, plus the neighbour. There was none left. I didn't think I would have to justify this picture.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
I just would like to let you know, that we do hunt, but we only hunt what we can eat. We gave one of those fish to Shari and Juan, and the other 2 I made soup with to feed my family of 6, plus the neighbour. There was none left. I didn't think I would have to justify this picture.

Great job with your catch. You don't have to justify your catch for that day. That guy might just be a little jealous is all.

My buddy is a spearfisherman, he say's if you want fish you gotta jump in the water where they live! Everytime I see his 14' aluminum coming back from the Coronado Islands full of fish I want to just throw all my sissy sticks away (as he calls them).

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:01 PM

Looks to me like the gypsy family had a good day and some extra good memories. Happy 8th. birthday Simon.:bounce::tumble:
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 05:07 PM

Thank you Cypress, we did have a wonderful day, and made increadable memories. Simon thanx you for the birthday wish as well.

Thank you also BajaWarrior, My husband agrees, you have to go in the water to get the fish, and it isn't as easy as it sounds. Sometimes after being in the water for 2 - 3 hours he comes back with nothing, as he just doesn't shoot for the fact of shooting.
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 09:08 AM

I seem to remember my dad saying that if you pressure cooked sheepshead, that it would wind up a lot like lobster, same consistency and very close in the taste. I do not have a personal experience with it as the shellfish (lobster, crab, mussels, etc) and I do not get along. Give me a big ribeye any day! :tumble:
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 09:40 AM

I don't consider those three fish to be an excessive catch. Looking closely at them I see they are rather small. That however was not my point. I cringe everytime I see a spear fisherman, based on past experiences. I realize all spearfishermen are not chest thumping neanderthals out to prove their manliness by killing a bunch of fish. I will say it again, I respect a mans right to take dinner from the sea, if that is all you did, which you say it is, good on you.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:19 PM

Just to let ya know...sheepshead is a very prized fish here and one of THE most delicious when made as a chowder...use the head too as that is where all the goodies lie....it has an amazing flavor....the only fish chowder I like. We often eat them as they somehow find their way into the lobster traps so becomes a by catch.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:22 PM

Shari,

Dos orden por favor! Con todo, typical sabor de Mexico! "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, center field today" John Fogerty, Credance Clearwater Revival.

Iflyfish
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:05 PM

re; Skin divers-Scuba divers- fish shooters-spearfishermen

A skin diver may also be called a snorkeler, a free diver or a breath hold diver .

A scuba diver is one who uses some sort of self contained air for breathing, Identified as SCUBA, aka Self Contained Underwater Breathing Appartus.

A fish shooter is one who uses Scuba to shoot fish.

A spearfiherman is a freediver/ breathhold diver who uses only the breath contained in his lungs to dive, hunt and shoot fish a fish.

Now for the fish;
Sheep-head (pimelometopon pulchrum) is a member of the wrasse family and has little commerical value. Underwater it is very courious and almost tame. It's broad body offeres a large target for the diver.

It is often the target of the novice fish shooter using Scuba. The diver breaks up a few urchins, the Sheep-head approaches and thediver places the muzzel of the gun on the head of the fish and pull the trigger---like shooting a cow in a barn yard..

The sheep-head is generally shuned by serious free diving spearfishermen. They generally prefer Yellow tail, WSB, etc. but on occasion if a particular large fish offers a challenge it may also be harvested by the free diver.

I commend the gentleman who shot the Sheep-head. It was not a huge one but a presetable catch and certainly worth a picture and provided the family with a meal. Please note that his spear gun is very small, which indicates to me he is a skilled (Or lucky) diver who managed to stalk and suscessfully shot the fish in the fish's enviroment while free diving spearfishing. Bravo! eh

A free diver spear fisherman is a selective fisherman-they shoot only a few fish a day and seldom if ever "limit out" It is also very strenous physical activity-they enter water and hunt and stalk the fish in a very hostile enviroment..One breath of air to dive, hunt, spear and surface. It is also expensive - A serious free diver will have as much or more invested in his equipment as the pole fisherman. A good six foot long custom spear gun can cost several thousands of dollars, plus points, extra shafts, line packs etc. Bear in mind every time they enter the water they have a darn good chance of a fish taking it away from them!

It would seem that one should be more concerned about a "diver" with a Hawwian sling aka pole spear than a diver with a gun displaying a decent catch. Slings are under powered, inaccurate and do considerable damage to a fish with out landing them.

Re;Groupers
They are possibly the most dangerous fish encountered by a free diver. They are strong swimmers, the hole up, often weaving in and out of several grottos and always apparently head for deep water.

If stuck the free diver must surface for air, dive and repeatedly attempt to pull the fish free, or let the fish bleed out. Either method he needs to untangle the mess of line threaded through the reef. Often the line is cut and another shaft from another gun is embedded in the fish which sometimes allows the fish to be horsed to the surface. All of this on air contained in the diver's lungs.

Sadly some times the diver blacks out trying to free the fish and is never found-- as occured several years ago at SLC.

Sir, I commend your free diving spear fishing catch. I have been there done that...

dm
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 05:16 PM

dm, do you know Bill from SLC? He sure peees off the rod and reel guys in SLC with the amount of fish he shoots. Coincidently, he was the guy who took the diver out that they never found. I will say it again. I am not condemning all spearfishermen, just the chest thumping neanderthals that kill tons of fish just to prove their manliness.

I have found sheepshead to be very good eating, but I don't catch them too often on a rod and reel.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 07:03 PM

DM, Thanx that is what I wanted to say about free diving being hard, and thank you for the complement over our supper
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 07:19 PM
Spearfishermen

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
"dm, do you know Bill from SLC?"

>>>>Yes, very well for many many years. Bill is a top notch world class spearfisherman..Bill is aging and so now slowing down a bit but still can hold his own with the "neanderthals."

How about Bob Johnson? Did you know him?

" He sure peees off the rod and reel guys in SLC with the amount of fish he shoots..."
>>>>I never noticed that there was ill feelings--more along the lines of admiration--

"Coincidently, he was the guy who took the diver out that they never found."
>>>I was there--Bill did every thing right and the fellow did every thing wrong. The diver was not experienced was told to dive shallow for a while but didn't listen. He stuck a Grooper on his fatal dive, had a SWBO pulling it out of the hole and drifed away.

I have had considerable experience in this area and made a number of posts defending him and free diving spear fishing from vitrolic do gooder late model tube sucking bubble blowers

"I will say it again. I am not condemning all spearfishermen, just the chest thumping neanderthals that kill tons of fish just to prove their manliness."

>>>>Then we possibly may become friends--

"I have found sheepshead to be very good eating, but I don't catch them too often on a rod and reel.
"

>>>>Not great in a normal fried or Bar-B Que way, but acceptable steamed etc

DM
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 07:33 PM

I too have found Bill and Bonnie to be good people. They love the water, and have never personally witnessed some of the things that others said. Probably just jealousy.

You obviously know better than I what happened that day. I believe it really affected Bill.

I have pictures of Bill playing his guitar at my wifes 21st birthday party.

I don't believe I have met Bob Johnson. But I have met a few Bob's in SLC.

Maybe one day we can meet in SLC. What a spot. Saludos Tom and Yho

PS> I have read the Last of the Blue Water hunters, and occasionally get in the water myself. With my Hawaiin sling.:lol:

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by Minnow]

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by Minnow]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 08:10 PM

I am sorry that bajagypsy felt like she had to defend herself on that lovely picture of herself and her family. They were obviously having a wonderful time and enjoying themselves. This is a moment in their lives that they cared enough about to capture and to share with us. I would love to have had a family like that! What a special moment and memory that photo must recall for you. Thank you for sharing it. I smiled a couple of times the day I saw that picture and thought how fine it is to see parents and their children enjoying themselves. They reminded me of the photo Minnow posted of herself with a lovely Yellowtail. What pride I saw in Minnow in that picture. I liked it enough to comment on it.

Iflyfish
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 08:51 PM

Fly, read my post the evoked that response. Gypsy was a tad bit defensive. I would say, for no reason. I have explained my comment enough though. It was not a personal attack.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.