Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to survive a hurricane
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:06 AM
How to survive a hurricane

I'm thinking I'lll have to deal with hurricanes in the future as I build near Todos Santos next year. I'm thinking my structure will be hurricane proof and will survive.

My assumption is that given the chance, people who can leave do leave. I don't know if there are people who ride it out knowing they'll be OK -- and, maybe, it's not too big a deal.

Is that the case for anyone who has survived a hurricane in Baja? Is the structure you're in hurricane proof or do you hope you don't take a direct hit?

Is the worst over in a short time?

Is it something I want to experience?

I've talked with people in Pescadero who got hit some years back and they seemed to be better for it.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:23 AM

Lee....I believe site selection has a lot to do with it. Also, I have been reading that in Florida, round houses seem to do better. I would suggest getting info from Florida sources (city/county building departments and/or insurance companies). They will have info on roof and wall design and tie down requirements Also thing those rolling steel shutters that cover windows (and maybe doors) will also help
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:46 AM

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared/Agnstwd...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_proof_building

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 10:24 AM

Lee, since you'll be building yourself, there is a LOT you can do to build hurricane-proof into your casa; nothing you can do will make it TOTALLY impervious to hurricanes! Ask around & find out the directions of prevailing winds & then remember that you'll get them in the opposite direction after the eye passes. I've built two distinctly differently designed casas in the La Paz area; both my own designs & both stood up well to hurricanes. Granted the second caca only experienced John this year, which was mild compared to Marty! Neither had hurricane shutters. Neither had any glass breakage (well, beyond outside light fixtures!).

Not too sure about your assumption that most people leave, most people I know prepare for the storm the best they can & hunker down to see what will happen. I'll admit that the first hurricane you experience in a new place can be intimidating. Each structure is unique & the force of the winds will hit differently & the sounds can be totally different from one place to another. I'd rather be here in the event of glass breakage so that I can attempt to minimize further interior damage...but that's just me!

I've experienced Juliet in 2001, Ignacio & Marty a month apart in 2003 and John in 2006. Other than a lot of vegetation clean up for all of them, my only property damage was caused by Marty. Palms cam be beautiful, but deadly during a hurricane! My first casa happened to be adjacent to a place with over 100 mature coco palms, and all the damage I sustained was a direct result of those palms falling or from flying debris from them. No structural damage, but some holes in my tile shade roofs & a section of iron fencing torn out of the perimeter wall & bent from a falling palm....total damage was roughly $1,500 USD equivalent.

There are no guarantees when dealing with Mother Nature, but there are a lot of things you can do in your construction & placement on the property to help withstand or divert the force of the winds, as well as things you can do in your landscaping.

I've lived through 3 major direct hits & Marty stalled for 2-3 days over La Paz...stalled as in maintained intensity, but stopped forward movement! All my hurricane pics have a 2-3 day date span on them. I'm originally from Oregon, so had no experience with hurricanes whatsoever. It can get exciting & may not be for the faint at heart! I've been concerned, but not yet feared for my life. But that's just MY experience! And no, the "worst" isn't necessarily over in a short time, because you can get a lot of wind & rains from the leading edge before the full force of the hurricane gets to you. There's a lot of preparation getting ready for a hurricane, as well as a lot of debris clean-up after, but for me I'd rather ride it out in my casa with my animals than try to guess a place to go & second guess the path the storm will really take! I trust my instincts more than I trust NOAA's path & intensity predictions!!!

Unless there's some major medical reason you need to avoid adrenaline surging excitement, then I'd say it's an experience you should live through at least once in your life! :bounce::bounce:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared/Agnstwd...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_proof_building

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by BajaNomad]

Thanks for this.

Hurricane is a word I do bring up with my builder and am planning on being there for the next one and think I'll be OK. I'm building with hurricanes in mind as they seem to be common.

:cool:

>>>Unless there's some major medical reason you need to avoid adrenaline surging excitement, then I'd say it's an experience you should live through at least once in your life! >>>

Glad things are going well in La Paz too. Seems like that area has gotten it's share of damage. :cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 11:48 AM

Build higher than any previous storm tides. Round is good with shutters for the windows. The more pitch you have on your roof the better, would advise getting a metal roof. If you stay to experience the storm be prepared to ride it out. When it hits you want have any choice.:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.