Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Happy Thanksgiving
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:27 PM
Happy Thanksgiving

Ah Thanksgiving........

Watching my wife roll out her pie crusts that are the thinnest and flakiest ever tasted, the apples sliced and delicately sugared and seasoned so as to make your mouth smile.

The cranberry sauce, made from fresh cranberries, sweetened and spiced with orange zest and other secret goodies to surprise the taste buds.

The buttery sweet potatoes, the naturally wonderful taste of buttered sweet potatoes, the stuffing...., the smell of fresh baked breads and cakes....., the simmering gibblet gravy....

Here's a toast to Nomads and others, whether you be in Baja or among the many who wish they were; to have a healthy, happy, peaceful and loving day with family and friends.

Good eating my friends !!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:29 PM

The same to you Diver, thanks!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2006 at 09:50 PM
Speaking of stuffing

Turkey, anyone???

Turkey, Turkey Everywhere
THE TURKEY shot out of the oven
And rocketed into the air.
It knocked every plate off the table
And partly demolished a chair.
It ricocheted into a corner
And burst with a deafening boom,
Then splattered all over the kitchen,
Completely obscuring the room.
It stuck to the walls and the windows,
It totally coated the floor.
There was turkey attached to the ceiling
Where there'd never been turkey before.
It blanketed every appliance,
It smeared every saucer and bowl.
There wasn't a way I could stop it,
That turkey was out of control.
I scraped and scrubbed with displeasure,
And thought with chagrin as I mopped,
That I'd never again stuff a turkey
With popcorn that hadn't been popped.......

by Anon..........:lol::lol::lol:
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 04:56 AM

Geez, Thanks Diver, I wasn't even thinking about what I would miss out on today until I read your words and I went and got all salavating and now what am I to do. I am a long way from any chance of a Thanksgiving dinner today. I got a feeling as close as I am going to get to a turkey dinner is a chicken mole tamle which as delious as that might be any other day doesn't even come close to what your description has got me a wanting. Dang, the only hope to full fill the taste wandering around my mouth looking to be satifisfied about now will just have to wait for Christmas, ni modo.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 07:20 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.:tumble: Got a 20lb. turkey in the smoker right now, been smoking since around midnight, has to smoke 10 hrs.;D:)
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 08:32 AM
DEEP FRIED TURKEY!

Deep fried turkey (maple brined!); sweet potato, apple chestnut gratin, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans in ginger butter and pumpkin pie and who knows what else will be on the table this afternoon. Thanksgiving in Baja, now that's something to be thankful for!

Here's shot of bajamigo taking last year's turkey out of the fryer -

[Edited on 11-23-2006 by bajabound2005]

Extracting the Turkey.jpg - 20kB
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 08:41 AM
Thanks Diver...

That was a very picturesq description of a wonderfull meal. Your a lucky man.
Gee Eli, your right, Chicken Mole doesn't quiet fit the bill after Divers descriptive menu, just try an old, worn out cliche, it's more than some will have...;)

I remember my worst Thanksgiving becoming my best when I was 19 years old, working for this horrible little company called 'Garner Valley Security'. My job was to sit in a little hut, guarding a pile of dirt at a housing construction site. I could look down the hill into peoples houses while they were sitting around dining room tables, dressed up and stuffing themselves with wonderfull looking creations. I was all alone eating a baloni sandwich feeling SO sorry for myself, I actually cried a little bit. I went out and did my rounds and when I came back to my freezing cold little hut, there was a plastic plate there on the desk just piled with food! another little plate had pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Boy, I was elated and sorry that my benefactors didn't hang around for me to thank them. I was busy plowing into that meal when there was a knock on the door, and a couple came in with ANOTHER plate of food (and pie). They said that I was clearly visable sitting alone in my little hut and they felt very sorry for me. I did cry then, I was so touched by their gesture and VERY thankfull. About 20 minutes after they left, there was ANOTHER knock on the door, and more food! By the end of my shift, I had 5 plates of food and deserts. I took the rest home to my roomate who was also alone on Thanksgiving, her family being in Minnesota. I think that was Monica's best Turkey Day also.
Enjoy the day.
with BIG HUGS to you and yours,
M
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 09:06 AM

Sometimes when all alone and feeling leftout a simple jester, a kind word, a friendly smile or helping hand makes all the differnce in the world. Often when we think back we remember those times when we had little, yet they bring forth the cherished moments we never forget and a smile of days gone by.

In 1970 I was between jobs with little money and for Thanksgiving dinner my wife and I had chicken wings and butterbeans and a little bread.
Every Thanksgiving we remember that dinner with smiles and laughter.

Think of those less fortunate and those away from family and friends. Have a happy Thanksgiving one and all.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 04:31 PM
Thanks Diver

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Ah Thanksgiving........

Watching my wife roll out her pie crusts that are the thinnest and flakiest ever tasted, the apples sliced and delicately sugared and seasoned so as to make your mouth smile.

The cranberry sauce, made from fresh cranberries, sweetened and spiced with orange zest and other secret goodies to surprise the taste buds.

The buttery sweet potatoes, the naturally wonderful taste of buttered sweet potatoes, the stuffing...., the smell of fresh baked breads and cakes....., the simmering gibblet gravy....

Here's a toast to Nomads and others, whether you be in Baja or among the many who wish they were; to have a healthy, happy, peaceful and loving day with family and friends.

Good eating my friends !!

Kind words on a day reserved for such talk. We are very fortunate people. We give thanks.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 10:59 PM

Just returned from our fab dinner with the deep fried turkey (bajaguy and bajablond...are you dying out there in Nevada???) of which we cooked (fried??) up two - with all the typical side dishes and some not so typical like Armenian stuffed grape leaves! When we got to the house we were going to cook/eat at....out of propane!!! AAAAGGGH!. No problemo! We had a countertop electric stove, electric deep fryer for the turkey and microwave. But with the fryer we kept blowing the circuits....not going well; finally turned off all the lights in the house; moved the countertop electric oven to another circuit and we're good. We were going to make this work! Next thing you know, Sr Propane shows up to fill the tanks. Seems not just us but every house around us (totally Americanos) needed propane to make dinner! But all got what they needed and we are all fat and happy tonight. Our 3 dogs are just glad we got home at 9 and something (PM) to give them dinner they thought they'd get at 5....well, let's just say we made up for the late dinner with some really good yummies added to their bowls! A great Thanksgiving for all in the Baja. No pix to add as hubby, the photographer, was too busy cooking up the turkey and even forgot his camera at our friends' house...he just went back over there to get it without a photo to share!
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 03:22 AM

Well, instead of Chicken Mole, I got cold Kentucky Fried Chicken, at least mashed potaotes and coleslaw was included in the deal, not bad, and you are right M, in Oaxaca of all places, one is always reminded by the have-nots to be grateful for what we do have, and in the end, I surly am.

I have found that the greatest joys of my day are not in regard to what I got to eat anyway, really what makes me fill the fullest of happy content is when I am able to make someone smile, give them something, help them in any old small way. So, for me this year, my thanksgiving feast was on the kindness generated by interreactions with some folks along my way, and yes, I am happy to report I got plenty full on the smiles and thankyous I received today. May the powers that be watch over and Bless Oaxaca, it has been ever so kind to Me.

Bueno, Hasta Baja, Su Sarita

[Edited on 11-24-2006 by Eli]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 04:51 AM

Smok'n the turkey in the Weber using apple wood..... placed bacon strips on top of the turkey during the smoke...... ohhhhh my........ wonderful. Burp!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 01:31 PM

We had Thanksgiving with our daughter and family and they had a smoked turkey. I must say that was the most tender turkey I've ever had.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 05:40 PM

We also did the Weber, slow cook method and the bird was wonderful.
Pot luck from friends added some interesting side dishes along with the normal faire. I am still stuffed. (Partly due to lunch-time leftovers).

Now for the;
turkey omlets
turkey frittattas
turkey sandwiches
turkey enchiladas
turkey en mole
turkey soup
any other favorites ???

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.