Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: URGENT INFO ON EARTHQUAKES SOUGHT
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 11:13 AM
"The cement cracked"------

-----always a sure sign that something BIG is going on.

Fasinating!!!!! I am jealous----wish I was there to witness this stuff.

Stay cool, and keep reporting---------love it. I am looking out my window at Shasta Volcano to the north, and Lassen Volcano to the east, but they are doing NOTHING-------:yawn:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 12:54 PM

Wow... freeky! What could it be? Godzilla??

This mornings map shows no earthquakes in Baja except a couple by the Colorado River...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Earthquake less than an hour ago in Orange County California. approx 11:10 pm or 07:10 Zulu

Really funny - that this isn't on the map either??

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:06 PM

Yes it is... just below the first e in Los Angeles...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:32 PM

Caltech say no earthquakes in Baja. Is it possible that there might be some mining operations in the area? :?:
:light: If so, they might be blasting. This would give you that "Booming" effect.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:33 PM

So I checked all those sites and nada! Last night there were 2 more which makes 5 yesterday. "And whoa it's freaky with the very big boom that sounded like a bomb going off or very loud thunder with shaking. Peole are very frightened here as they have never experienced anything like that before. It was kinda funny as people were all outside their houses and lots slept in their cars...my sister in law slept in the lower bunk so the top bunk would protect her if the roof fell in!!:biggrin: the last one was at 1;00 in the morning. Today folks reported a few roofs and cement wall cracked and moved etc. The belief is that it is the volcano farting....everyone is very tense and they are looking for some info and advice...should they be prepared just in case of tidal wave??? I lent some real scared ladies some life jackets...I must admit, I prepared an emergency pack last night thinking about all the Mulege folks who got surprised in the middle of the night. I reported these quakes but got no reply yet....many thanks to all of you who responded....let me know if you hear anything new.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:35 PM

I just heard another rumor that there have been tremors in STA. Rosalia the last few days as well???? So much for the volcano theory??? Also...not a mining deal....too big of blasts and shakes the whole town and in the middle of the night???

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes it is... just below the first e in Los Angeles...

Yeah - should wear my reading glasses.
NOW I see it. :cool::coolup:

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 02:24 PM

Shari it is ok to be worried mt st helens was taken lightly until it blew its top ,, maybe its a good time to visit relatives some where,
jim
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:09 PM

This could be a really interesting thing if an undersea volcano was waking up... The lack of seismic activity registering on the normal earthquake sites is strange.

Shari, try contacting the volcano or earthquake web sites... This could be big business as geologists and volcanolgist head your way!

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:33 PM

HM - this one shows Quakes in Ecuador , Alaska and Oregon today.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:33 PM

Today I lent out lots of life jackets to people who can't swim and are very on edge, not many people slept last night. I reported this strange activity to the sight mentioned but it seems pretty strange that no seismic activity has been reported here yet there are cracked walls etc. and everyone felt it shake.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:35 PM

DAVID...YOU MENTIONED THE NASTY 'B' WORD!!! Jeez, I don't want to get crapped on again!

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:37 PM

We live in Oregon and watched St Helens explode. My brother heard it in the Slocan Valley in B.C. and we who could see it could not hear it. The acoustics of these things are really odd.

The St Helens eruption was preceded by a very long series of earthquakes increased in intensity. So it is hard at this point to determine whether volcanic eruption or earthquakes only.

I could not find any info on the web about these quakes. The evidence certainly points to quakes and Baja is very prone to them.

It would seem that your area is experiencing an increase of seismic activity. That we know. How damaging or disruptive that activity will be only time will tell.

Sitting where you are, on a peninsula, puts you in a vulnerable place for tidal activity. I would look at the geology of your area; see if you can envision the highest water line that may ever possibly have been achieved. Choose a place above that as your place to escape. Be prepared to get to that place as quickly as possible. It sounds like you have already made some plans in this way. Remember that the water goes OUT before it comes in. If you see it go out in an unusual way, that is the time go GO! Many people are mesmerized by the sight of the sea floor emerging and lose their lives to curiosity.

I would see if I could determine the volcanic/earthquake history in your area and plan for the worst. If the worst does not occur, then you will have knowledge and will be prepared.

Our thoughts are with you.

Iflyfish
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
DAVID...YOU MENTIONED THE NASTY 'B' WORD!!! Jeez, I don't want to get crapped on again!

Maybe the lobster dudes are blowing up the 6 lane hwy:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::lol:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 07:39 PM

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area; my house lies between two major earthquake faults - the San Andreas and the Hayward. Sometimes we have earthquakes with a big boom.
That kind often sounds like a freight train coming up the street, then making a turn and ending in a large jolting BOOM seemingly right under the house. They're not the most common type of earthquake... but we do get 'em like that.

[Edited on 11-26-2006 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 08:30 PM

Are these booms happening only at night? Has anyone asked at the Military check points?

I know at my place in Utah, there were nights that we were awaken by what we thought were earthquakes. What it turned out to be was the house was on a low level military airway. As the Government was flying training missions at night they often went super sonic and the sonic boom raised hell with everyone. It could be the U.S. government training something new over the less populated Baja, not to pee off and tip off the American public to some new aircraft.

I remember one night, many years ago here in California, there was a simular event to what you all have discribed. It woke up thousands of people and the new agencys went nuts. I happened to see it as I was awake returning from a fire. It was a fast moving aircraft and left a con trail with the tell tail "Donuts-on-a-Rope". Of course the military denied any involvment.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 09:05 PM
Careful for what you ask for.....

Shakers and rock-n-rollers,
Be a bit careful with the "bring it on" joking....if some sh*t hits the tectonic fan, no one will be laughing...

But IF it IS the frijoles.....

Ged:O

Don't believe everything you think....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 07:42 AM

there is something very strange about this.it dose sound like blasting but if that were the case some one would know what is going on.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 08:33 AM

Maybe it's longliners(illegal) switching to dynamiting the fish:lol: Really I have checked my Cal tech sources on line and there's nothing!:?:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.