Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: NEAT CAMPING ITEMS FOR BAJA
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 06:47 PM
NEAT CAMPING ITEMS FOR BAJA

My dear wife, Betty and I are always on the look out for camping items to use inside and out side our trailer while in Baja. Neat little keen things that make life just a little bit easier and camping more comfortable.

The past few weeks have been very productive in aquiring these neat little keen things. the following items are typical examples:

1) Propane Crock Pot

Walmart cost about $50.00
Coleman Road trip heat and serve slow cooker
*instant start -no matches
*4000 BTU
I seriously doubt if I would ever purchase one or we could ever justify a slow cooker on a Baja trip, but perhaps others on this board? (or one of the children will think ole Dad needs one!)

2) Solar Camp Lantern

A week ago Betty arrived home with a solar powered camp lantern. We has seen it several days earlier in the Disposable Tool catalog, commonly known as Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight about $16.00
item # 94740
It works three ways, solar, 12 volt, and 110
all connections are stored in the base of the lantern

We have tested it all three ways and it is satisfactory for our needs. A days charge of the solar in CenCal sun provided light for about 8 hours.
It is a neat little item that is nice but not needed by all.

3) Propane Filler Attachment

Harbor Freight--about $15.00
Idenified as "Macoupler-ez fill propane coupler"
No idenifiable H/F part number
Manufactured by KM products, in Michigan

This small coupler allows filling of the small disposable propane bottles. Over the years we have aquired a number of small propane bottles from our back country camping trips. A few years ago I began saving them with the thought that some day I would fill them..Now I have no excuse! I do not know if there will be a savings-but the small ones are $3.00 to as much as $6.50 each --so one would assume it would be recognizeable savings.

4) STOVE & OVEN COMBINATION

A Mexican designed and produced stove and oven

Mexico - about $75.00 US
Idenified as "Estufa con horno"
Offered in Red, black, and white
Has two burners on top and a oven underneath

My wife saw this and had to have one! It has been a great investment and has been well used in Baja and even on our patio in CenCal. Initially we had difficult regulating the temperature , but that was solved in short order and it has performed flawlesly. Surprisingly is does not consume excessive propane and I would assume from heat produced it has a high BTU rating. However, I certainly would not recommend baking a large turkey!

There are several other items we are investigating, mainly in the LCD lighting area. We have aquired several hand lights and we have been considering several other larger ones. Maybe others have already aquired these type items and can provide insight as to, cost, performance and souces..

Isn't this 21 century GREAT? so many neet little keen things,
just remember it is only money!

DM
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 08:04 PM

Thanks for the tips--think I'll wander over to Harbor Freight tomorrow--my girlfriends got a bunch of those empty propane cylinders and I don't like lugging around a larger tank.
Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 08:50 PM

Careful with the propane, overfilling can be a problem. I think you need to weigh them to do it safely. Also wear good eye protection and gloves. Liquid propane can instantly freeze-burn your cornea!!!

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2006 at 09:09 PM

...I have one of those units to refill small propane bottles. It's best to refill from a small 5 Gal tank, out of doors. Turn the bigger tank upside down. When connected with the small tank, use a needle nose pliers to pull out the indented pin while you turn on the bigger tank. The small tank is full when liquid propane 'spits' out of the release pin. Let the pin go and shut off the tank valve. Presto, you have a perfectly re-usable small propane tank. I have refilled many tanks, many times, for a fraction of the cost. Don't throw those "disposable" tanks away...
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 04:57 AM

great post thanks

george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 08:16 AM

be carfulling filling or fooling with propane it is heaver then air and on a still day will seek the lowest spot (basment, hole in the ground,sumpump basin it can lay there for quite some time if ignited can be very dangerous
i saw the aftermath of a guy draining a 5 gal cylender with about 3 gal of propain to the atmosphereit it ignited and burned about 1000 ft of a ditch in one scond i could imagin if it had been under a house
tricky cause you cant see it

jerry and judi
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 09:25 AM

I appreciate all your comments on saftey of propane handling and cylinder filling.

I will be careful and fill it in my neighbors yard--with my wife holding the cylinder and turning it off and on--after all she purchased it a brough it home -for me--might be a message hidden in the purchase???.

DM
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 09:33 AM

I recently saw this cool 12 volt lunch box stove on the Food Channel and had to have it...

Lunch Box Stove

It works just like a mini-crockpot, perfect for cooking hot dogs, chili, or soup out on our little tin boat.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2006 at 10:35 AM

dean your bad lol

jerry and judi
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 09:30 AM

Jerry,

I have a total psyco neighbor --suprisingly name Jerry.

My dear wife is tough as nails--out of the wilds of northern Canada! She is a combo SEAL, Airborne, Bob Ballard, Martha Stewart (oops not a good choice-Martha is a crook) Einstein (oops another por choice -he is dead) but I think you get the picture and understand.......

DM
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 11:30 AM

i get the picture dean perhaps you should add a bullet proof vest to your camp gear too?? lol

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 11:44 AM

i just saw one of these at a tailgate party and it worked great the campfireinacan was using a presto log they said it burned for about 4 hours but said fire wood works great too the best part about it when your done the ashes are in the pan and it snaps closed so no mess ne fuss im going to get one with the extra riser so its up off the ground more and it can be set on a table
check it out at http://campfireinacan.com/private_label.htm

jerry and judi
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 11:48 AM

I kinda like the "Womp Em" stick....I wonder if it's allowed in Baja???....could always tell 'em it's used for tenderizing abalone.
Socalz

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:12 PM

I'm sitting here looking at a small propane cylinder and it states on the label, "Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C. 5142)."

As you can refill these cylinders for one-fifth the price of purchasing them (4 16 oz. cylinders for $9.68 at Sam's Club, BTW), I can see the appeal, but what exactly are the dangers other than the ones previously stated in this thread? There must be some reason for such a severe penalty. Anyone care to educate me please?
Socalz

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:20 PM

duplicate post, sorry

[Edited on 11-26-2006 by Socalz]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:43 PM

Chapter 49, Section 5142 of the United States Code does not apply in Mexico..............
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Socalz
I'm sitting here looking at a small propane cylinder and it states on the label, "Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal law forbids transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C. 5142)."

As you can refill these cylinders for one-fifth the price of purchasing them (4 16 oz. cylinders for $9.68 at Sam's Club, BTW), I can see the appeal, but what exactly are the dangers other than the ones previously stated in this thread? There must be some reason for such a severe penalty. Anyone care to educate me please?

proably the main reason is you would be cutting the propane peoples profit also so you can't transport on air planes
Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Socalz

Socalz,
I believe the danger of overfilling any liquified gas cylinder is the lack of "headspace" needed to allow for the liquid to expand if/when it becomes warmer. This must place additional internal pressure on the tank. While this is probably not immediate cause for concern if the tank is in good condition, it may cause premature fatiguing of the metal in the long run. Disposable cylinders are not manufactured for repeated stresses like the certified versions. Refilling these should pose a greater risk for tank leakage/rupture.

As far as the law, it seems a leaking cylinder is an accident waiting to happen, whether by asphyxiation or explosion etc. I can hear the insurance companies screaming now.

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:16 AM

aguaholic, i have allso used the refiller for years and they are great but you forgot to mention how dangerous they can be. when refilling from the old style bottle never attempt to remove the small bottle while the large propane bottle is upside down(with valve open) as this can cause spillage of liquad propane and potential fire. my buddys boat burned to the water line while attempting this.:coolup:
Socalz

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frigatebird

Socalz,
I believe the danger of overfilling any liquified gas cylinder is the lack of "headspace" needed to allow for the liquid to expand if/when it becomes warmer. This must place additional internal pressure on the tank. While this is probably not immediate cause for concern if the tank is in good condition, it may cause premature fatiguing of the metal in the long run. Disposable cylinders are not manufactured for repeated stresses like the certified versions. Refilling these should pose a greater risk for tank leakage/rupture.

As far as the law, it seems a leaking cylinder is an accident waiting to happen, whether by asphyxiation or explosion etc. I can hear the insurance companies screaming now.

Thanks for taking the time to post a response, I appreciate it. I'm sure some nomads out there have refilled these cylinders hundreds of times without incident, but it only takes one little accident to cause great bodily harm and/or property loss. It strikes me as a risky way to save a couple of dollars.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.