Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: NEAT CAMPING ITEMS FOR BAJA
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:33 PM
Answer for Socalz

It is my understanding the refilling of cylinders is not unlawful. Otherwise the selling of the instruments to do so could be interpreted as abetting a crime. I believe the transportation of the refilled cylinders may be what is unlawful.

If I'm mistaken, please, someone jump in here and straighten me out. Good luck, RRC
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 11:03 PM
Some Propane tank info...

1. Older propane cylinders (mfg prior to 9/1998) have the POL (named for the original mfg'r) valve with the round handle/knob. The POL valves have only the internal (female) LH threads, and NO check valve. These tanks are also fitted with a manually operated vent valve - either a separate thumb screw vent, or a screwdriver operated vent valve in the POL valve, itself. This vent is opened when filling the tank, and begins 'spitting' liquid propane when the tank is approximately 80% full - the safe fill limit.

When you open the valve without a hose attached, propane escapes to the atmosphere, unchecked, as it were! Observe cautions mentioned above, propane is heaver than air and will 'settle' in an enclosure or depression and could ignite with explosive results!

2. Newer propane cylinders mfg'd after 9/1998 are fitted with the OPD (Overfill Prevention Device) and have the triangular shaped handle/knob. These valves have the large RH (male) threads on the outside - and the above mentioned LH, female threads on the inside. POL valves are fitted with a check valve, and an internal 'float' valve to shut off incoming liquid propane and prevent overfilling of the tank above the 80% level - in concert with the above noted vent valve. The check valve prevents gas from escaping if you open the valve without a hose attached. As April 1, 2002, US propane fillers are supposed to only fill tanks equipped with (or retrofitted) the OPD valves installed - not so in Mexico, they'll fill either type.

3. I believe the small tank refill fitting from Harbor Freight will only work with the older POL style tanks. You have to invert the large cylinder to force liquid propane into the small cylinder being refilled, and the newer OPD style cylinders with allow the 'float valve' to close when you invert the cylinder - therefore not allowing any liquid propane into the small cylinder.

4. I have also used the refill fitting with some success to refill the small cylinders (with a POL valved cylinder). I don't think I've been able to fill them to the levels as when they are new - and I haven't tried to hold open the small vent valve with needle nose pliers as mentioned in a message above - a good idea...except some additional caution should be noted here.

I would get an accurate small scale, and weigh a brand new (filled) small cylinder in order to get a 'good' filled weight. These small cylinders are also filled only to about the 80% level to allow for the expansion of the liquid propane inside during hot weather - that 'vent' valve's design may also allow for propane venting if the cylinder gets too warm.

4. When you refill a small tank, and hold the vent valve open, take care to rotate the vent's location so that it will begin 'spitting' liquid propane at approximately 80% of the tank's capacity. Now weigh your refilled cylinder on the scale and compare it with the 'new' cylinder weight you noted earlier - and adjust your filling procedure accordingly - if your refilled tank is heavier, you can vent some propane by attaching the tank to an appliance and opening it's main valve.

As several have mentioned, propane can be a big hazard to one's well-being...if you don't feel comfortable refilling the small tanks - don't do it! They aren't really all that 'expensive' when compared with just one bad experience! My notes above are not to be construed as definitive instructions in any way, and are to be used at your own risk...be careful out there!

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by Mexray]

surrbooty.jpg - 30kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 07:23 AM

the small tanks will usually only fill a little over 1/2, i put the tanks in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour first so you can get to 80% vollume. the small tanks you buy at your local wallmart are not refillable but i use them a couple of times then discard. cabellos has the fitting (if anyones interested) in there camping section for $19.99 plus shipping.:coolup:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 08:30 AM

they sell some small cylinders that are for refiling. they have a bleed valve so you can fill them to 80 % safely.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 07:20 PM

Two decisions:

After reading this thread My dear wife and I made a decision to return the Mac Coupler propane refiller to Harbor Freight.

After reading about the crime in Baja we have made a decision to invest in a WW11 Sherman tank and convert it to a Baja RV.

dm
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 12:50 AM

:wow: dean - that sounds bitter, on the other hand not a bad idea - it's unlikely that ANYONE will attack a Sherman, provided they let you cross the border :biggrin: It might get pretty HOT inside the tank - or do they have AC?
I have now this picture in my mind - a Tank at the beach - (maybe underneath a palapa), laundry line attached on the sides, folding chairs and table in the shade of the tank!! Cup of coffee and a bagel, and the newspaper, watching sunrise/sunset - cool :cool:?
I would like this picture, If the situation wouldn't be so serious recently! :smug:

If you really change your mind - you and your wife are wellcome at MY place - dean
Very Safe Here!!

Socalz

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

As several have mentioned, propane can be a big hazard to one's well-being...if you don't feel comfortable refilling the small tanks - don't do it! They aren't really all that 'expensive' when compared with just one bad experience! My notes above are not to be construed as definitive instructions in any way, and are to be used at your own risk...be careful out there!

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by Mexray]

Thanks for the reply! Some good information in your post and it doesn't hurt to be overinformed, particularly considering the potential for destruction in choosing to be an "amateur propane technician".

I forgot that my mother-in-law's new husband owns a propane business in Northern California. I'll have to get his opinion next time I see him.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 01:21 PM

Why don't you give your mother-in-laws new husband who is a propane distributor a telephone call this week end and report his outrage at filling small cylinders on Monday?

His comments should be enlighting.

DM
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:21 PM

Great info. Ray!

But I've had no problem filling my small cylinders from a OPD tank using a Mac Coupler. If you follow the directions and only leave the valve open for a minute, there's no chance of overfilling. In fact, it only half fills them - probably a "better safe than sorry" practice.

I think Hank would agree. ;):bounce:

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by El Camote]

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Socalz

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Why don't you give your mother-in-laws new husband who is a propane distributor a telephone call this week end and report his outrage at filling small cylinders on Monday?

His comments should be enlighting.

DM

My mother-in-law and her new husband, who is a propane distributor, are semi-retired and currently travelling. I'm going to Germany to spend Christmas with my son before he deploys. Hence, I don't know when I'll be able to plumb the depth of his outrage at refilling small propane cylinders. You may have to hunker down in your tank for a while. ;)

In the spirit of your original post, I wish to submit this item to the list of "Camping Items for Baja". I personally own one, but unfortunately have yet to use it. $70 at REI.

684259Lrg.jpg - 16kB
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 08:22 AM

There are piorities in this world and they must be addressed!

Hemminway's was Gibbley's Gin well mixed on the African velt at sunset.

The modern Baja traveler it is a cool well mixed Maggie at sundown
(some also enjoy Maggies at mid night, sun up & noon-but I won't go there)

What an incrediable idea! A hand cranked blender! No batteries to charge or run down, no electronic componets! Maintence free-should last forever! We do not have a local REI, but I will check it out the next time I am in LA area.

We currently have a Black & Decker rechargeable blender probably approaching 20 years old that is still blending away. I some how suspect that we will use it until it stops blending. When it does REI here we come with Visa in hand!

Thanks for the tip and posting of the picture.

dm
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.