Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Active volcano in area of Asuncion
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:16 PM
Active volcano in area of Asuncion

There seems to be two known volcanos in central Baja and this one seem to be considered active. Sure would be a funny coincidence if it blew the night Jesse opened his restaurant.

Volcan de las Tres Virgenes (the volcano of the 3 virgins) is a volcano in a strange place for volcanoes. Early missionary reports contain a reference to an eruption in 1746 that was not actually witnessed. Volcan de las Tres Virgenes is the only historically active volcano on the Baja peninsula, and may have developed on a "leaky" transform fault rather than due to subduction. Presently Tres Virgenes is the site of geothermal development.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:19 PM
Map of Mexican volcanos

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_tour/mex/mex.html
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 12:48 PM
Photo of volcano

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/mexi...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 05:11 PM

so where's the other one, it feels like it's right underneath us right now as I speak it is trembling, I just came inside to report this but it's nerve racking having to run outside every few seconds/minutes. Everyone is very frightened and lots of houses have cracked particularly the corners, we have several cracks too.. hope it calms down soon, I'm dizzy and nervous out here on the rock. It has shook 9 times in the last hour. Tomorrow a team is coming from La Paz with some intruments to see what the heck is going on.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 05:27 PM

your there you can make up your own mind but relying on LaPaz?? im my experence you will get information about next juevember
perhaps its time for a( tsumia warning drill) practice run out of harms way??

jerry and judi
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:21 PM

thanks, I'm back in the house now as it hadn't rumbled for a half hour...ohhhhh no not again...just when I thought it was calming down. A fellow on a sailboat said it was better when there are lots of little ones to avoid the big one....I don't know what the heck to believe. That will be the 13th one in the last hour and a bit. People have now reported lots of things falling off walls and cracking houses. Pretty darn exciting but I hope it doesn't get anymore exciting. I'm gonna make myself a margerita to calm my nerves.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:24 PM

The Margerita, stirred not shaken!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:25 PM

OOPS, that's a martooni
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:27 PM

Shari, the small scale map shows the (historically) active volcano near the gulf side of Baja directly east of Asuncion (maybe 150 miles).

We in Southern California are very experienced with earthquakes but what you are describing seems different. Our quakes are usually slight pre shocks (if any) with the main event soon after and then slowly diminishing aftershocks.
Volcanic activity is obviously different but ground shaking is part of it. The large noise heard suggests an onshore as opposed to an in the ocean blast. If you have any high ground to drive to you can look for a smoke plume for evidence.

If there has not been ground shaking in Guerrero Negro, Viscaino,Tortugas or Abreojos then you are near the center of the activity and maybe a visit to Pa Paz to check out Jesse's new restaurant would be in order. Or a visit to the relatives in Guerrero Negro.

[Edited on 11-27-2006 by Stickers]

[Edited on 11-27-2006 by Stickers]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:30 PM

I saw a smoke plume out my window llike it was coming out of the rocks here at the blowhole when the biggest one was happening (5 seconds of booming and shaking)....definate gray color, not spray or dust...hmmmm

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:33 PM
Shari-----

at the risk of being somewhat of an alarmist, what you describe sounds VERY much like "volcanic activity"----sub-surface magma on the move. I am amazed that the "experts" are not swarming all over your area since this has been going on for several days----right???

Obviously SOMETHING BIG is going on. Nothing may come of it------like the Mammoth Mt. area in CA several years ago, but still I can imagine your nervousness. Sounds like you ARE taking precautions, but stay alert (as if I have to say that) :wow:
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 06:36 PM

Shari, I will call the Southwest Volcano Center in Arizona and the U.S Coast and Geodetic Survey office tomorrow to see if they have any knowledge about, interest in, or advice about what is occurring..
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 07:18 PM

So two 3 virgenes became active the same day? that would be great;D

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 07:20 PM

Shari wrote:

"I saw a smoke plume out my window llike it was coming out of the rocks here at the blowhole when the biggest one was happening (5 seconds of booming and shaking)....definate gray color, not spray or dust...hmmmm "

"
That will be the 13th one in the last hour and a bit." "It has shook 9 times in the last hour."

"Tomorrow a team is coming from La Paz with some intruments to see what the heck is going on."

My advice to you is to LEAVE NOW. Let experts sort this out. Three were blown away when St Helens went off. Return when you know what htey find. Better to err on the side of safety and later reflect on how dumb you were than to be blown away. I am worried about you and Serana there.

What you are witnessing sounds like a vent opening. This is the sort of thing that you see with volcanic activity. This is the sort of volcanic activity like that which preceded Mt. St Helens exploding. Ongoing earthquakes and then vents opening. Gas and grey ash came out of the mountain. Then it really blew and took fifty some people whith it. Not something to fool with. I met the crews who came down from the mountain, rescue folks. Ice cubes the size of thirty foot trailers blew out of the mountain. Pyroclastic fow burned everything in it's wake for scores of miles.

I would take what you have seen and hears as a warning. If you have a safe place to go, this is a good time to do so. The forces of Volcanoes are far greater than one could ever imagine. I flew over Mt St Helens after it blew and still cannot forget the MILES of destruction. Now on the other hand a volcano erupted and has been erupting on an ongoing basis for years with out a violent explosion.

I would not take the risk of staying myself. If I were there I would go NOW. Too much to lose and not much to gain by staying. You don't have enough information about what is happening, but sighting a vent opening would do it for me. I would want to hear from the researchers that it is safe to return before doing so.

I don't like giving this advice. But it is what I would be saying to my daughter if she was there.

Iflyfish
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 08:11 PM

A plume of smoke? Sure wish you and your family would follow the advice of Iflyfish.

It may turn-out to be nothing of concern, but.............

Take Care
Diane

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 08:31 PM

a plumb?? sounds like venting, if its venting that means its leting off pressure this action can cause expansion of gassess and valcanic action below and can cause hugh actions on the surface visualise a pressure cooker boiling is held back by the pressure as the pressure is reliesed boiling resumes and expands rapidly GET OUT OF THERE NOW i hope im all wrong but i wish for you to tell me in a few day

jerry and judi
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 09:06 PM

Wow, Shari! Better safe than sorry. I try not to give my opinion on things I don't know much about, but I want to keep reading your posts here, and Serena's too. We don't want to lose you!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2006 at 09:21 PM

Seems that all the research on the Tres Virgines has been done closer to Santa Rosalia and San Ignacio. There is an east/west axis that shows predominant activity along the volcanoe's southwest flank. No research was done farther west towards the coast. If this is volcanic, it will be a relative surprise to many that the complex vents that far to the west.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:08 AM

sheri, we too had a quake last year here on the sea of cortez (6.4 i beleive) and it allmost through me out of my bed. we had three more over the next 24 hours and i was more concerned with wave activity then damaged to my small casita. last time i was in your area i fished the hipolito area and caught all the halibut i wanted from shore ,may do a quad trip through there in the next comeing year.:coolup:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:24 AM

If I were seeing and hearing what you describe I would have my family out of there. how long are you going to wait? until you see lava flowing toward your house? if so don't usually there is a big explosion first and from then on you wont be able to see what is going on. I would not wait for some kids with a Mexican paper to tell me that it is not safe. just like the people in Mulege you are responsible to get your family to safety. mother nature has warned you.:no:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.