Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:00 PM
Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder

Now I know why I'm so tired at the end of the day and need to get away to Baja!

Do you know someone who was diagnosed with A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder?

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox, when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first. I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only 1 check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the Pacifico thatI had been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pacifico aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. I see that the Pacifico is getting warm, and decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pacifico, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need to be watered. I set the Pacifico down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

----the car isn't washed,
----the bills aren't paid,
----there is a warm Pacifico sitting on the counter,
----the flowers don't have enough water,
----there is still only 1 check in my check book,
----I can't find the remote,
----I can't find my glasses,
----and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC.

P.S. I just remembered. I LEFT THE WATER RUNNING IN THE DRIVEWAY!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:10 PM
Bob--------

--------how painful!!!! You just described my day-----most of my days-------amazing!!!! And I just remembered my pool is overflowing from the hose I left going in it an hour ago----

Oh My God!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:19 PM

I don't know what it's called or what causes it but my under 50 wife has the same thing. If you find a cure, please let me know ! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:22 PM

Bob... for us men, this is what is known as 'NORMAL'...:light:

Age has little to do with it... Many projects get shelved based on a priority schedule and we simply run out of daylight. The problem is that we men put such a high priority on everything we do, that just one project may never get finished... Instead, we take pride in the fact we can actually affect change on dozens of projects in just one solar day... It really is amazing, don't you think?:D

There is a solution for this multi tasking nightmare we are faced with... It's called 'WOMEN'!:spingrin:

Women are so wonderful in that they are able to put nearly no priority into those projects we consider important. The end result is these (high priority to us and low to them) projects actually get completed!!! Woman know that we men are incapable of doing so much of that we attempt, and instead direct us on a concept of 'just one thing at a time' until each project is done. :O

Beware that women will require projects THEY deem high priority to be completed BEFORE yours, however!!:moon:

Women are the greatest!!!:cool:

Don't have one?

Then the only solution to avoid mental meltdown is to pack up the fishing tackle or hiking boots and head to Baja!:coolup:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:28 PM

Bob,

Don't worry! The syndrome you describe is called Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. It affects people of any age.

A sure cure: Just say NO! and get back to Baja.:yes: and be 40 again, like me. :cool: Oh, and by the way, I was your age before I discovered Baja and fishing.:coolup:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:35 PM

David, ----nice things you say about women, but I am afraid we too, with advancing age suffer from this.

In my younger years, I could multi-task like crazy and things were completed, now it is just like Bob discribes, except he seems to remember all the things not completed. :yes:

Thanks Bob----well stated, and just too true.

Diane

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:46 PM

THE REALLY NICE THING ABOUT A. A. A. D. D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder? IS IN 5 MINUETS YOU WONT REMEMBER YOU HAVE IT

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:56 PM

Bob H,
The sad part of this story, is that Pacifico getting warm on the counter.
Spike
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:58 PM

Have what?
k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 04:59 PM
puff puff

this sounds exactly like me after a puff puff !!:lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:05 PM

what the heck is a puff puff?:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC. !

I've been that way since childhood. I can actually multitask better now than back then. Add dyslexia to that and aging seems to make things better.

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:17 PM

Geez, thanks Bob! I am very much a woman, but as Diane pointed out, we seem to suffer from this strange thing also! It is just different tho, as I forget what I am doing, or what I was about to do, I'll tackle another thing and actually complete it!(what was I doing before I came in here?)So after wandering thru the house and seeing things out of place or seeming to be in transit, suddenly I remember what I was doing!! So, you see, it is not a gender based disorder but maybe a distracted mind thinking about Baja!(of which I am very guilty)...Thanks for the laugh and it was a good one!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 05:22 PM

I've got a related problem -- PDPD -- Poorly Designed Project Disorder. This involves making a series of ad hoc, on the spot decisions about your project that make the project take far more time and energy than it should. Here's an example:

Over the weekend, I decided to finally install the permanent mount Sirius satellite antenna I bought months ago (it was in that box filled with project stuff that never seems to get emptier). It has to be mounted on a north facing exterior brick wall of a section of the living room that extends above the tile roof covering the rest of the house, with the antenna cable running though the brick and dropping down the inside wall to a big armoire below that contains the radio.

To do this I need (1) the antenna, mounting hardware and instructions (check), (2) a ladder, to get up to the roof outside the house (check), and (3) my fully charged portable drill and a long masonry drill bit to drill the hole for the antenna cable. I get started a bit after noon.

Simple? An easy less than one hour project? Not the way I do it. I don't have a long masonry bit, just standard length bits. So I go to a neighbor, who has a 3/16" and and 3/8". I take the 3/16", figuring if I need a bigger hole, I can just use the smaller one to ream it out. The neighbor then leaves town, locking up his place.

Next, it seems I've forgotten to properly charge my portable drill's two power packs. Drilling through a brick requires (duh!) a lot of power, and my drill dies 2/3 of the way through. I could go over to my neighbor's and borrow his corded drill but . . . he's gone! Not only that, I'd have to borrow his generator to run it, since I forgot to replace the completely disintegrated starter cord on my generator (my solar doesn't supply enough juice to run a drill). But hey, I don't have the corded drill, so what difference does it make?

Instead, I nurse a little more juice from the solar into the two dead power packs and alternate them back and forth over a two hour period to get within a half an inch of daylight through that %!@#ing brick.

At that point (around 3:00 p.m.), my wife comes out and peers up at the roof and says, "remember, we have some friends coming at 5:00 today for drinks and dinner, and you haven't started preparing any of the stuff you said you'd handle. And you're filthy from climbing all over that roof. How long does it take just to install an antenna?" I, of course, have completely forgotten about the dinner.

I therefore am forced to finish boring the hole by hand, using my hands and the aforementioned drill bit. Did I mention that I'm doing this while laying prone on the roof tiles to avoid breaking them? This exhausting process comes to a merciful end when I start pounding the end of the drill bit in frustration and it punches through the brick on the other side, showering the kids in the living room with masonry shrapnel and leaving a very unsightly crater on the surface of the brick on the inside wall.

Think we're done? Not so fast. I now attempt to thread the cable through the hole. Problem is, the cable itself is indeed 3/16", and would fit just fine in the hole I've bored. However, the cable fitting at the end is 3/8" and I HAVE NO POWER DRILL TO REAM OUT THE HOLE USING THE 3/16" bit. This must be done by hand again, first from the outside and then dragging the ladder into the house and finishing the job from the inside, balancing precariously with one foot on the ladder and another on the armoir (which is so fricking heavy that I can't move it without at least four adults assisting).

Sweating and muttering to myself, I finally finish the job and cleanup at 4:45. There's now no time to shower and still have any of the food ready at a reasonable hour. So the dinner guests (who have the temerity to show up on time), find me in the kitchen, dirty, sweaty and cursing, scrambling around to get some appetizers on the table. Fortunately, somebody remembered to stock enough Corralejo to keep everyone occupied and happy. Now there's a project I can plan correctly!

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 06:25 PM
:-) ADHD / ADD / AAADD Joke !

"GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC."

All right, then..... My one and only ADD / ADHD / and now AAADD Joke....

Q:? How many ADD kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Wanna go ride bikes?

:bounce: Don't ask my wife about finding my running shoes in the fridge.... PUH-leeeeese !

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
"GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC."

All right, then..... My one and only ADD / ADHD / and now AAADD Joke....
djh

Here's my one short anlogy: I walk down a flight of stairs at home on my way out. Half way down, I realize I've forgotten my car keys. I turn around and head back up and at the landing, can't remember what I came up for. So I turn around and head down. Half way down I realize I don't have my car keys. So I turn around and head back up. On the landing, I can't remember why I'm back upstairs, then.....

OK. My one dyslexia joke -- and forgetfullness is not age related. That's a stereotype.

Dyslexic's at a demonstration with a placard: Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

:cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

Mary Jane

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 07:33 PM

I'm very tired...........NOW!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

Mary Jane

Oh Ok I guess I forgot:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I'm very tired...........NOW!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.