BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Holiday weekend trip; Sea of Cortez & El Rosario (41 pics)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 01:55 AM
Holiday weekend trip; Sea of Cortez & El Rosario (41 pics)

Took off for the holiday weekend. Yaay!

Didn't actually leave until Thursday (Thanksgiving) morning, and returned late Sunday evening.

While we had a (camping) destination in mind, we had no reservations anywhere along the way, and nothing was "set in stone." Michelle and I just wanted to enjoy some Baja "getaway time" - and to spend some direct time with our boys. So we left when we were ready and made the most out of each day.

By mid-afternoon Thursday we had meandered as far as Puerto Nuevo and decided our Thanksgiving meal would be Puerto Nuevo-style this year. So, we stopped at Chela's - and besides some gentlemen in the corner sipping tequila with Mariachi's playing for them, we were the only ones there at this point. Had our pick of seating - and were able to sit by the big sliding doors upstairs overlooking the ocean... we enjoyed this seating there very much. My pictures don't do it justice - and yes I can make a better exposure next time.

:P

By the time we finished, we decided to make a run for it all the way to El Rosario and the Baja Cactus Motel for the night before continuing south on Friday. When we arrived in the early evening, we were surprised to find out that Antonio, wife Lorenia and daughter Lorenia were all there as well. We enjoyed visiting with them outside for quite some time.

In the morning we were all able to have breakfast together at Mama Espinoza's - which I had not done before, as I'd only had dinner there in the past. Prices for breakfast were very reasonable considering, and everyone enjoyed what they ordered (I had the Nopalitos Mexicanos with egg - I think it was US$4.50 - and coffee).

Afterwards Antonio helped me find some replacement tubing for my Scribner gas can to use as a filler hose - as my current one was becoming brittle and likely to turn the small cracks in it to big cracks... and after a quick stop at the Baja 2000 parts store (no dice), the Hermanos J... (?) store (Corona sign) came to the rescue. 1 foot of tube - 4 pesos. Thanks Antonio.

While there, also stocked up the cooler a little more with ice and refreshments... headed back to the Pemex to top up, and back to the Baja Cactus to grab Michelle and the kids... and we were headed south!

We arrived at our Sea of Cortez destination a little later than desired - just as we were starting to lose a little light, and had wind - that while expected - was just a little stronger than hoped for. So, we had to deal with some blowing sand - and setup camp accordingly as best we could.

This bay we were at is a favorite because of the extreme tide action across the sand. As it's a inlet/bay, I don't know if you'd call it a shoal here or not? Essentially that's what it is though... a sandbar that crosses this area with a back, shallow, sand-bottom bay. The sandbar is covered by water at high-tide, and is a great beach as the tide goes out.

When we arrived Friday afternoon, the tide was waaay out. By morning it had come in and filled the back bay and at sunrise was getting close to exposing the sandbar again within a couple of hours.

The boys were up, and we all went for a walk across the back part of the bay where the water had mostly retreated from already... made it to the other side and then followed the sandbar across as it became exposed.

Our 6-year old had a blast running all over the sand and exploring some of the items he found - like the dead crab pictured.

There were MANY rays in the shallows off the sandbar as we walked back - and I asked Andrew (16) what the green "thing" was over by him - to which he replied "just kelp on a rock." As I approached it, his rock started moving away - and he then realized it was a decent sized crab that was partially dug into the sand. Ryland, the 6 year-old, was ecstatic.

After returning later in the morning and having some breakfast ... the boys explored some more with Mom, and I snoozed by the truck.

In the afternoon we took another walk along the sandbar to the opposing bluff where there was a rocky shore the boys were able to explore (and the bluff blocked the wind considerably)... so I snoozed a little bit more even.

When the tide began to start rising again, we headed back in the direction of camp, and decided that we'd enjoyed the bay at it's best times, and would make our way back towards El Rosario instead of dealing with the wind again through the night. And besides, I admit the thought of a hot shower and a comfy king-size bed did appeal to me somewhat. The boys weren't so sure they wanted to leave, but when I reminded them of the carne asada tacos in El Rosario and that they'd get to see Antonio, Lorenia & Lorenia again, they said "okay, lets go!"

So we made it back to El Rosario Saturday evening. The boys allowed me to clean up (read: hot shower) first, and then I took them all over to Tacos El Poblano for carne asada tacos. After, we returned back to the room and called it a night early (go figure!). Sunday morning Lorenia and Antonio invited us to have breakfast with them in the courtyard at the motel, which we accepted. Michelle and the kids aided Lorenia in making some hot cakes, eggs, bacon, avocado & nopalitos. During breakfast Antonio said they were going out to investigate a "recreation" area he had been invited to for the past year, but had never visited.

I wasn't sure on time if that was going to work out - but the thought of hurrying to get in the border-wait versus more relaxing time with Antonio & Lorenia became clear... and we accepted.

I'm not quite sure how the gentleman that owns this rancho with the "recreation" area will make it into a feasible business, but it was interesting to see none-the-less.

Here are other photos from the trip (taken by both Michelle & Doug):

Shallow bay...

Tracks of an unseen coyote visitor:

Just after sunrise:

Andrew, the "miniature crab hunter":

Sunday morning, one of the shells the boys collected decided to walk off the table in the room... a couple of times before they realized what was going on... a hermit crab getting its nerve up to make an appearance...

Antonio, Sunday morning.... teasing me.... "hey Doug - do you want to know what's happening on the Baja Nomad Forums???" Actually, I didn't want to know anything other than if the site was up and running or not.

Our Sunday side trip to the "recreation" area:

First, turn off the highway here (km 82? south of El Rosario):

Then keep going - about 6 miles. Here about a mile off the highway, there's some soft stuff:

Then turn right around this cirio/boojum:

Pass these cardons and the dead boojum:

And past these tall cardons:

Then through the fence... and keep going further back....

...past the cirio shack...

...until you get here:

Where they have birds:

You can try to catch one if you want... here Ryland trying to have a late turkey for Thankgiving... and he was serious about catching one of these birds...

Our tour guide through the fruit trees (limon/guayaba), el gato gordito - who actually followed us everywhere around there:

What is this on the cardons?:

I think everyone enjoyed - even a little - the relaxing time away:

...We were also able to say hi to Anthony from Diamante del Mar at the Pemex Sunday afternoon. Anthony says they're still busy with the Cabo location - and communicated some interesting things they're doing because of challenges in getting grass for their golf courses.

...point of fact.. the Army checkpoints were unmanned through this weekend as well - all of those we passed in the north anyway - both heading down and back.

Th-th-that's all folks! ;D

--
Doug

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 03:08 AM

WHAT A LOVELY TRIP!! Thanks for the beautiful photos, what great pristine beaches, I envy you and your family.
You deserved such a TIME OUT after all.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 05:54 AM

That's what I'd call one-heck-of-ah Thanksgiving. Thanks.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 06:36 AM

sounds like you had a good Baja experience with your family. thanks fo sharing it with us Doug.

Oh yes Hose A did a good job.:o

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 09:09 AM

What a great Baja weekend!

Glad you got to that perfect beach... will have a great impact on the boys, for sure!

It was really nice that you had time with Antonio and Lorenia, too...

Thanks Doug!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 10:54 AM
Doug

Thanks for the trip. Really enjoyed sharing your kids with you.... brought back many happy memory's of my kids and grandkidsin Baja. They even run differently in Baja.

Good on you for the naps.......did you lose a bit of the bags around the eyes.

You really deserved the trip and should take as many of them as you can when you can. Perfect attitude about the Nomad Board!

Thanks Jefe!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:12 PM

Great pictures, and it sounds like you had a great trip!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:34 PM

Nice trip, to be sure, and some great photos as well.

Are you being purposely vague on where your "Sea of Cortez" destination is (I understand completely) or did I just miss it? I think I know, though.

We got a little wind in Borrego on Saturday (and into Sunday, on the road) but our location was pretty protected. I'll attach a pic tonite and we'll see if anyone can identify the spot.

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by Hook]

Thanksgiving morning in Anza Borrego

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by Hook]

Nomad-borrego-campsite.jpg - 44kB

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:42 PM

Doug,

Excellent trip report and photos! I was salivating when you said you had carne asada tacos at Taco Poblanos in El Rosario. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I loved all the photos... especially the one of the boys walking towards you on the wet beach. You captured some great images of the weird sand formations created by the tides. And waht a cool little camp spot nestled in the dunes. Too bad it was windy.

And how cool that you got to spend time with Antonio and family! As I read your post, I began to realize just how wonderful it is to have the Baja Cactus motel as a rest point along the way. It seems to me that it is living up to Antonio's expectations to be a place to call home for the night as one continues their explorations of Baja.

Thanks again for the little day dreaming get-away while reading your trip report.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:45 PM
Doug----

try as I might, I cannot identify the "bay" you are camped beside positively-----------is it a "secret place", or can you clue us all in???

I am thinking somewhere in the vacinity of BOLA (the south end?), because of all the offshore islands, but I really do not recognize anything. It is not Animas, is it?? Gonzaga? (tho I see no "snoopy")??? I thought I had camped everywhere, but I sure don't recognize exactly where you were. :?:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 03:30 PM

Great post, wonderful pics of those happy faces. Wonderful experience for those kids. Lucky!

HoseA did not let me say *** on my post. Thought you would like to know. He was on top of his game!

Iflyfish when not trying to slip a donkey through the moderator

[gotcha]

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by Hose A]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 05:28 PM

This might be a neat game to play: Guess where Doug was?

Intersting guesses so far... :lol::yes:

The ranch in the desert I was told about by Antonio, but haven't been there or know where it is... That looks interesting, like an oasis in the desert... with turkeys and guavas, no less!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 05:58 PM
Here's my guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This might be a neat game to play: Guess where Doug was?

I'll not name the area to keep the guesses rolling in (I asked Doug for the name and got no response, so I'll let him decide when to let it out).

the spot.jpg - 21kB

yuletide
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 07:47 PM
bajamatic------

----you guys are driving me nuts----------now where is THAT bay????-------again I do not recognize it and I thought I knew ALL the bays within a days drive from Antonios. :lol:
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 09:18 PM

It's been 25 years but let me see. mmmmmm......angle from the beach looking towards la guardia puts it north of Bahia mmmmm...... tidal range tells me it's a very shallow back bay.mmmmmmmm.....do I see the cone of Isla Coronado in the background mmmmmmm.........I say Remedios
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 09:42 PM

Good one JoseA

Iflyfish
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 12:00 AM
Wiles-------

----I think you have nailed it!!! I have only been there by boat, but I believe it fits what I remember, and the Smith (Coronado) Island volcano peaking over the point is the clincher.

I am jealous!!! I always wanted to camp here. Mike Humfreville whould have known it instantly. (assuming we are correct) :?:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 12:24 AM

To confirm just use the Google link for Guadalupe/Remedios and zoom in on the shore line, follow it with your mouse...:biggrin: Providing Bajamatic's sat. image is correct!;D

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 12:42 AM

Remember, it's a large back bay. ;)

bay.jpg - 18kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:36 AM

so we should still be guessing?? or was Wiles correct...

(way cool stuff Doug. great report! Ahhhhh, solitude)

Edit:
Doug, do you recall if the turn to the "recreation area" was past El progresso?? or closer to the Catavina area?? Looks like a cool place to take the kids some day..and maybe a cool place to get off the highway and spend the night, rather than the catavina area..
Tomas

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.