BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Holiday weekend trip; Sea of Cortez & El Rosario (41 pics)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 11:13 AM
David-----

----(1) is the "beach" at the mouth of Los Candeleros cobbles or sand (or both)?

(2) can you drive right to the waters edge? (or real close)

(3) do you think, or did you see, or do you know, if there is any way to access by vehicle the wash complex of ASAMBLEA and SALSIPUEDES to the north of Los Candeleros?? (ala Erle Stanley Gardner in "HOVERING OVER BAJA")
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 12:02 PM
Filesharing Garmin files

Since I am a newbie Garmin GPS owner, please bear with me if this is a rather elementary discussion.

Rather than entering the individual waypoints for route creation, shouldn't those of us using Garmin's version 2 .gdb files be able to actually share routes and tracks via email?

I am thinking that one could open someone else's .gdb file in a new gdb document, copy the individual routes/tracks, paste them into our own personal "master" gdb document and upload them into the individual unit. Anyone game for this? David?

As a precaution, maybe use a gdb file that doesnt have your "home" as a waypoint in the document. What a great feature that would be on your website, David......to be able to download a Baja master file with individual routes and tracks.

BTW, I didnt notice a waypoint where the road to Bahia Guadalupe left the BOLA pavement. Do you have that?

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by Hook]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Since I am a newbie Garmin GPS owner, please bear with me if this is a rather elementary discussion.

Rather than entering the individual waypoints for route creation, shouldn't those of us using Garmin's version 2 .gdb files be able to actually share routes and tracks via email?

I am thinking that one could open someone else's .gdb file in a new gdb document, copy the individual routes/tracks, paste them into our own personal "master" gdb document and upload them into the individual unit. Anyone game for this? David?

As a precaution, maybe use a gdb file that doesnt have your "home" as a waypoint in the document. What a great feature that would be on your website, David......to be able to download a Baja master file with individual routes and tracks.

BTW, I didnt notice a waypoint where the road to Bahia Guadalupe left the BOLA pavement. Do you have that?

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by Hook]

The turnoff to go north from the L.A. Bay Hwy. is listed on the section Hwy. 1 to L.A. Bay... The road north to Guadalupe Bay and Candeleros is listed just below and in that list I did not repeat the turnoff waypoint...

Here is the L.A. Bay Hwy log to the Guadalupe turnoff off my GPS web page:

To Bahia de los Angeles (& Mision San Borja)

Highway 1 and L.A. Bay Jcn: 29°02.75'/ 114°09.13'

Road north to Desengaño & Yubay (see log below): 29°04.30'/ 114°02.37'

Old L.A. Bay Road in from north in Arroyo Yubay: 29°03.64'/ 114°00.22'

Road north to Bahia Guadalupe and Pta. Candelero (see log below): 29°01.27'/ 113°47.76'

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
----(1) is the "beach" at the mouth of Los Candeleros cobbles or sand (or both)?

(2) can you drive right to the waters edge? (or real close)

(3) do you think, or did you see, or do you know, if there is any way to access by vehicle the wash complex of ASAMBLEA and SALSIPUEDES to the north of Los Candeleros?? (ala Erle Stanley Gardner in "HOVERING OVER BAJA")

1) All cobble and tons of driftwood for fires! Also lots of palm trash I suspect came down the coast from La Asamblea because I explored up Candeleros and found no palms.

2) Yes.. well to the cobble berm anyway... It was windy so we drove across the arroyo to the north side for a wind break... See the photo of my truck and tent. You are across from the north tip of Angel Island... very cool to drive all that way north from L.A. Bay on a road that isn't on any maps!

3) I have talked a lot with BillB on this as it is his ambition to get his Rokon scooter in the way Erle and company did 40 years ago... Going north from the second dry lake to Salsipuedes... The road to Candeleros beach goes east from the north end of that dry lake and drops into Candeleros arroyo... I didn't see any 'road' to the north.

Hey you and Hook are lucky I came back home to pick up some things... I am still 'at work'! LOL

Off to Discover Baja for the Christmas Party tonight!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I have always thought that it was a rough road into that area... if you break down you are a long way from possible help.

As concise as I can be: No; and sort of, as it's subjective.

24 miles one-way in about an hour. Negligible elevation change - from the highway down to the Sea essentially.

If you break down and can't recover - your longest walk (as I was not packing a Sat Phone) is 12 miles from the midpoint. There's traffic on the highway, and we saw three pangas come closely by the bay on Saturday that could've been waved down if necessary.

I doubt there was any other traffic along that road the time period we were there (could've been though, but unlikely). When the fisherman are at the shack just north on B. Guadalupe, I believe the truck to see them comes out once a week or so. Last time I visited "fisherman" at the shack they were actually diving for sea cucumbers at the nearby ridge - one was the diver, and the other man was responsible for running the breathing apparatus for the diver.

Yes, I do have wood in the back of the truck as a bed that can also be used to make a platform in sand if necessary. Maybe I need one of these too/instead?:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0010048520776a.shtml?hasJS=tru...

Probably had enough water (some of it as small water bottles that could be carried in a backpack if necessary) - maybe even food - for at least a week beyond our stay.

Regarding the Toyota: It's my third small Toyota truck. All of them manual transmission. They have been very, very good to me - and I drive them hard. I also maintain them well. The first one I sold after it reached 250,000 miles.

Tires and driving style: As noted, I drive hard. More so in the past than the present though. Having done so in Baja for quite a few years now, I've had my share of issues. Usually tires. I take my tires (and air pressure) pretty seriously - and the best, most reliable tires I've found for a vehicle the size I'm driving in Baja are the Bridgestone Desert Duelers. I will NOT use BFG All-Terrains even if they gave them to me for free. Just too many problems with the All-Terrains and too much risk from my experience (I've never used the Mud T/As or Baja T/As). I've mentioned this before on more than one occassion when the topic of tires comes up - but I don't think people realize my emphasis on this recommendation:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=2565#pid17383
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18885#pid1644...

FYI:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=5135#pid37810

I did on this trip (not before) note that my front tires were probably not of the condition I was most comfortable with, and will be replaced before any other significant upcoming off-road destination(s).

Regarding driving solo: I think the only time I've traveled with another vehicle off-road in Baja (together as a group) was last year's El Rosario Festival (other exceptions I now think of are at the same event, traveling with SquareCircle to La Lobera - and the trip to the "rec" area this past holiday weekend with Antonio, et al). My travels in Baja and the style of travel I have pursued are what prompted the moniker carried by this website: Baja Nomad. I like to wander, usually solo. Don't stay in one place very long. Like to drive, and like to cover some ground in doing so.

This is all about risk. Here's more: This was Ryland's first time on a (somewhat) significant outing such as this. The first time he's seen the Cortez. He's six. Why? Because when he was small I decided I wasn't comfortable taking him into the remote parts of the peninsula the way I like to travel. I thought there might be too much risk in his surviving in case we did get stuck somewhere. I wanted to wait until he was older. About a year or more ago I determined he was ready in my mind for a trip like this, only in building my business, I haven't been ready.. until this past holiday weekend.

Yaay.

Now, here's a quote from one of my favorite articles of all-time, written by Randy Wayne White for his column in Outside Magazine; January, 1997:

"If there is risk in what we do--and an active life always involves risk--then we have the option of throttling back and living safe but dull lives, or we have the option of embracing those risks and trying to manage them as best we can."

I quoted this long ago on the bottom of this now obscure page:
http://www.bajanomad.com/articles/more.htm

And the whole article is now here:
http://outside.away.com/magazine/0197/9701out.html

While I have "throttled back" a bit by being a father and the process of maturing over time - there's still moments in time where I'm on the gas. Another quote from the above RWW article:

"That bastard Grim Reaper is loose in the room and moving targets are harder to hit."

Could something have happened. Yep, sure.

Did I personally view it as "impressive," "gutsy," or of significant risk? No, not really.

I appreciate your concern greatly however. Thank you.

--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windsurfeddy
Ok, I just need to know the road conditions after the 13 hours of rain they got from the last hurricane, and in particular the condition of the dry lake bed and arroyos. Also, I windsurf and kite, so did you get an "el norte" wind?

Road conditions already (vaguely) addressed.

Wind was offshore from the west. Blew hard enough for my six year-old to complain a couple of times about the blowing sand stinging his ankles.

--
Doug

[Edited on 12-2-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 09:45 PM

Addenum:

I also only carried one spare tire on this trip, when sometimes I'll carry two.

And in further hindsight, I could've indicated to Antonio more specifically where I was going in case he didn't see me come back by Sunday or Monday to know there might be an issue for us.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 09:56 PM

Our friend Tom Severin blew out an All-Terrain sidewall the size of your fist on his way to Animas Bay from BofLA on our trip a few weeks ago. With a complete set of BFGs, he was worried that he would make it up the rough road from Laguna Chapala to San Felipe. His was the only blowout on the entire trip, but you could imagine his anxiety if he were traveling alone. You never know, except, carry plenty of extra food and water...and perhaps a good tent or sunshade...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 11:49 PM
Doug-----GREAT POST----

Your de man!!!!!

Personally I have been travelling in the dirt on BFG TA's for years and years with few problems other than those that can be fixed with a Plug kit. A few times I have destroyed one that was essentially worn out anyway.

I always carry two spares, but have had to use the 2nd one only four times in 50+ years. I was glad I had them those times.

90% of the time I have had at least one other veh. with me.

My son usually uses Bridgestone Desert Duelers and loves them, and usually accompanies me in his tricked out and ancient 76 ' FJ-40. I know that he has spent $1000's on that vehicle over the years----it has everything----he has had it for about 20 years.

Thanks for your detailed response. Fun stuff.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 12:24 PM

Barry,

You make my point in your post. :)

I too have had few problems with the BFGs over many miles, but of the few problems I've had, a couple were scary sidewall blowouts. After many miles now on the Bridgestone Duelers, no scary problems at ALL (only driver error in once not properly airing down causing a rock to poke a hole through the tread near the Comondus - and a defective tire [which held together and did NOT come apart] in the U.S. that was replaced for free by Firestone/Bridgestone).

As with you and the second spare, same with me recognizing I don't have those few bothesome times of replacing a destroyed BFG any longer. At least not yet anyway.

:::::knock on wood::::: ;D

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:45 PM

thanks...
now i have to go to Americas Tires tomorrow...
little bumps on the sidewalls..
all i need is a sidewall blowout:fire:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 06:56 PM

This was such a great trip report (from 2006), it deserved another look... Good job BajaNomad/ Doug!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:07 PM

I love Chelas in Puerto Nuevo. Times are tough there these days.....last time we went we were the only people there, being served by the owner, not a waiter.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.