BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Holiday weekend trip; Sea of Cortez & El Rosario (41 pics)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:38 AM
Ensenada Alcatraz????? (to be specific)

-----and I believe that Wiles aerial photo is of Alcatraz.

There just are not that many "back bays" along this coast between Gonzaga and San Francisquito. (s. end of Gonzaga----- s. end of BOLA----- sw side of Animas------nw side of Animas------Bahia Remedios/Guadalupe------Boca Grande-------) that is all I can think of.

David K------I went to your website but I cannot figure out how to access your site-specific sat photos. What am I doing wrong??:?:

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by Barry A.]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 10:01 AM

Barry A., you need to use Google Earth.

Assuming Doug is not trying to throw us off track with his image, it is the northernmost of the three small coves just north of Isla Alcatraz.

Pretty impressive to drive in there as a single vehicle with the family no less, Doug.

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by Hook]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 12:26 PM
Thanks, Hook-----

I do have GOOGLE EARTH and I went there and confirmed all you say.

I just could not find David K's site-specific list of SAT photos, which I guess are from Google Earth.

Anyway, I found all I needed--------that is a place that I HAVE to explore by vehicle----only been there by 12 ' alum boat about 23 years ago, but even at that time there were vehicle tracks at the s. end of the northern most rocky beach (first major rocky beach s. of Punta Remedios). We went ashore at each of the baylets south of there but saw no veh. tracks at that time around any of them----only at the north rocky beach. For years and years we wondered how those vehicles got there, and now we know. Amazing, and yes Doug was pretty gutsy going in there on that "rush" trip alone. Perhaps he was not alone????

Barry
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 02:28 PM

Barry: David, I believe, is referring to his list of links to Google Maps in this thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10620

And yes, we were solo.

Hook: The picture posted is the place we were - no sleight of hand.

I'm curious which possible situation/risk/danger made this "impressive" or "gutsy" to you?

(edit to add): While I pondered current safety issues beforehand ( http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20860 ), most of the troubles seemed to have a common denominator of proximity to the highway - and I went with the philosophy that bad roads bring good people.

Although windy, I like this area, and wish to further explore the bays to the south towards Isla Alcatraz off the southernmost point of this series of bays. The sandbank/sandbar "beach" by where we were doesn't disappoint though.

I've never seen a name for this actual inlet on any map. "Bahía de los Nómadas" now perhaps? (or is it supposed to be "las Nómadas"?)

Tomas: The "rec" area turnoff from the highway was only about - maybe - 15-20 minutes south of El Rosario. I think Km. 82. Then about 6 miles from the highway. They looked to be making it into a camping location. I wouldn't take an RV or long trailer in there though, at least not with the present road (some very soft/steep places).

Andy... thanks for your comments. :)

--
Doug

[Edited on 11-29-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 02:42 PM
Thanks, Doug-----

----I am thinking the "gutsy" part is that I have always thought that it was a rough road into that area (an almost "unknown", in fact) and that therefore it did not receive much traffic, so if you break down you are a long way from possible help. Maybe that simply is not so. I sure want to visit that place sometime.

I did not know that it even existed (the road/trail/track?) until joining the "NOMADS" board.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Really enjoyed sharing your kids with you....
You can always babysit some time if you'd like me to "share" them more.

(just teasing you there "Bern-dog") ;D

Quote:
did you lose a bit of the bags around the eyes
Possibly. But they'll be back by the end of this week. :lol:

Thanks Bernie. I do appreciate your comments.

Regards,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 06:10 PM

Ditto on what Barry A. said, in terms of the potential for trouble. Car trouble, not people trouble.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 07:00 PM

Doug drives a 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA... 'nuff said!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 12:23 PM

David------

That is what worried me. My automatic tranny blew up without any warning at 65K on my Toy Camry-----and yes, it had always been serviced by the dealer, exactly as the manual suggested.

Poof, $3,200 gone----2 months out of extended warrantee.

You just never know, for sure, even with a Toy-----------:lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 02:50 PM

I also wasnt aware that Toys were also immune to flat tires. All it would take would be ONE flat in deep sand and you could have a heck of a time jacking it up to even get a spare on. I hope Doug carries some kind of platform for this. Fix a Flat doesnt work in ALL cases.

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 03:27 PM

Doug, I applaud you for your sense of adventure. Sometimes you just have to have a little bit of risk involved to make it FUN.

I am reminded of a quote from the movie SandLot.... (Which, by the way, is one of the best and funniest movies ever made....)

"Anyone who wants to be a can't-hack-it pantywaist who wears their mama's bra, raise your hand. ":moon:

(JUST KIDDING!!! Hook and Barry)

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by bajaandy]

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 03:41 PM

Doug, your photos and trip report were outstanding. Seems like one heck of a great 4-day trip it turned out be with "nothing set in stone".... Fantastic memories you and your family will have if you keep this up.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 04:14 PM
bajaandy--------

I applaud Doug, too------that is exactly what we said in our posts, so not sure where you are coming from.

Still, I don't have to have "risk" in my life to have fun-----in fact risk and responsibility make me a little nervous when on vacation-----I had enough of that on my job.

But if "risk" is what makes your day, then go for it. But please don't cry out for help from me when you get in trouble.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 05:18 PM

Barry,

My post was meant in jest. No offense meant.... I must have mis-interpreted your post. It sounded like you thought going out to someplace remote with only one vehicle was bad idea.

And please note.... I said a LITTLE bit of risk makes it fun. Hope you'll still be there for me if I need you.

:biggrin:

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 05:25 PM
andy-----

----not "bad", just gutsy!!!

I guess I am just being a little "sour grapes" as I spent a good part of 30 years helping get folks out of "risky" situations in the "wild"------makes one a little judgemental, I suppose. :(

I have done things just as "risky" myself, but sometimes look back in wonder at my "luck". :lol:

Just call-------and I WILL come!! :yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I also wasnt aware that Toys were also immune to flat tires. All it would take would be ONE flat in deep sand and you could have a heck of a time jacking it up to even get a spare on. I hope Doug carries some kind of platform for this. Fix a Flat doesnt work in ALL cases.

I hope you know I say these things about Toyota for fun and laughs... It is about the best I have seen for both being trouble free and able to go anywhere... Neal Johns got me thinking Toyota... specially when the Ford dealer didn't want to help me get out of my Plymouth van. I am sure glad I went to Toyota.

But, yes even mighty Toyota Tacomas can break in Baja! Do you guys remeber what happened to Neal Johns somewhere between La Virgen and El Marmol a few years ago? Thank goodness for his satellite phone!

http://vivabaja.com/neal2

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 07:59 PM

A little bailing wire and some gum and i could fix that thing right up.:yes:

yuletide
windsurfeddy

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 08:52 PM

Ok, I just need to know the road conditions after the 13 hours of rain they got from the last hurricane, and in particular the condition of the dry lake bed and arroyos. Also, I windsurf and kite, so did you get an "el norte" wind? We have camped at the La Gringa area since '87, but Don Roberto sold out and the word is that our old spot is fenced and gated...thus the interest on your "secret" spot, thanks. ciao.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by windsurfeddy
Ok, I just need to know the road conditions after the 13 hours of rain they got from the last hurricane, and in particular the condition of the dry lake bed and arroyos. Also, I windsurf and kite, so did you get an "el norte" wind? We have camped at the La Gringa area since '87, but Don Roberto sold out and the word is that our old spot is fenced and gated...thus the interest on your "secret" spot, thanks. ciao.

When the kids and I camped near Doug's secret beach and again at Candeleros to the north over New Years week, 2003 both dry lake beds had water on them (puddles, not covered) and the road across Laguna Agua Amarga stays mostly to the left (west) side of the lake heading north from the L.A. Bay highway...

The surface was firm and 4WD wasn't used.

The sand washes through the canyons were easy to drive on (Arroyo Mesa de Yubay, etc.).

The second dry lake that was wet (Laguna Seca) also presented no problem even though the road north to Candeleros crossed over the middle of that lake.

A couple pictures at http://vivabaja.com/1202

GPS of these routes are in my GPS web page at VivaBaja.com

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by David K]

windsurfeddy

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 10:55 AM

Thanks David K., your road info helps cure pre-trip anxieties which seem to go away soon as you hit the road! I will get the GPS coordinates from your site...got some already from the Becknoning web site {go to Google, enter Bahia Guadalupe}. Again, thanks. ciao.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.