Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Worried?
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 02:54 PM
Worried?

With the current state of affairs in Mexico, are any of you Americans who own property in Mexico at all worried about what may happen to your property there? Of course, I realize it's not really owned by us, but through the fideicomiso.... But, seriously, with the "2 presidents," the drug cartels, the corruption, the murders of American citizens, this person Subcomandante Marcos who runs the "Other Campaign" (see www.narconews.com) trying to instigate the indigenous people into a revolution, I am a bit nervous about having invested in an oceanfront condominium currently under construction in Rosarito. Am I alone in this? Just curious as to your opinions....maybe I'm just Chicken Little, but I wonder if things will blow over by our completion date (10/07) or if things will get worse.....:o
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:43 PM

I think your biggest worry is the developer running away with your $. Is it coming out of the ground yet?:cool:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:45 PM

bancodou is right...i can't belive i said that:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
with the "2 presidents,"

There is only one

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:47 PM

business as usual in Mexico

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:53 PM

not worried:tumble:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
With the current state of affairs in Mexico, are any of you Americans who own property in Mexico at all worried about what may happen to your property there? Of course, I realize it's not really owned by us, but through the fideicomiso.... But, seriously, with the "2 presidents," the drug cartels, the corruption, the murders of American citizens, this person Subcomandante Marcos who runs the "Other Campaign" (see www.narconews.com) trying to instigate the indigenous people into a revolution, I am a bit nervous about having invested in an oceanfront condominium currently under construction in Rosarito. Am I alone in this? Just curious as to your opinions....maybe I'm just Chicken Little, but I wonder if things will blow over by our completion date (10/07) or if things will get worse.....:o

You COULD worry... but what good will that do?

All of us who love & live and / or love and own in Baja could worry, but it seems to me that most Nomads chose not to, and live the adventure (and surprises) as they come.

It is not the US, it is Mexico. While different systems and rules definitely apply, in my humble opinion, the necessary common ingredient in both cases is simply common sense ( like bancoduo's :).

Enjoy your new directions and adventures ~ make the best decisions you can and live (hopefully peacefully) with them.

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:04 PM

you pay the price for security and that is a price I chose not to pay.:O

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:10 PM

I wouldn't say I'm really worried about the activities of the cartels, or by the events in Mexico City and Oaxaca, not in the sense of how they might affect my property. But as someone living in Mexico I am concerned and do hope better times are ahead for Mexico.

The smaller petty crimes, such as burglaries and breaking into cars, is a problem too. It may discourage some from buying property, but I think a more likely consequence will be more reliance by expats on "secure" gated, and insulated, communities. And by some Mexicans as well.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:11 PM

Excellent Question, SD Ronnie. I certainly can't say that this issue hasn't been on my mind, as well, given that I plan to live the next 5 months at my place near Mulege, not far from where a tourist was murdered a month or so ago. I haven't been able to figure out if crime in Baja is escalating dramatically or is it just that we, thru this board and others, are being made aware of incidents that, before now, were unknown to us due to the lack of a press corp like we have in the states.
I'm going tospend this winter in Baja because I refuse to allow a few bad people dictate how I live my life. I will, however, be a little more vigilant.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:13 PM

Worried?

Do ya ever get that look? Ya know, the look when you are in a conversation with someone in the States. When you mention you have a home in Mexico.

"Aren't you afraid they're going to take it away? Like over there in Ensenada?"

Then you have to go into the whole story about how the property you live on is differant than the property those people lived on....

Been asked that question a few times? Explained the story a few times?

Fact is, we sleep more soundly and enjoy our family's time together more when we are away in Baja, and that is how it has been since my first trip south to go surfing 30 years ago.

Worried? Nope. I'm going to use my home as long as I can, they can't erase my memories.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
I wouldn't say I'm really worried about the activities of the cartels, or by the events in Mexico City and Oaxaca, not in the sense of how they might affect my property. But as someone living in Mexico I am concerned and do hope better times are ahead for Mexico.

The smaller petty crimes, such as burglaries and breaking into cars, is a problem too. It may discourage some from buying property, but I think a more likely consequence will be more reliance by expats on "secure" gated, and insulated, communities. And by some Mexicans as well.

I don't even see living in gated, and insulated, communities as an option why be in Mexico if you are going to do that.:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:29 PM

Bancoduo: Yes, it's up out of the ground, several stories are completed and Tower 2 has begun. The developer has already completed one project in Rosarito (Las Olas) and is working on the second (Las Olas Grande) and ours (Las Olas Mar Y Sol). Our property is about 3 miles south of what will be the new Donald Trump Resort.

Thank you all for your comments. Well taken.....I just wish I had a crystal ball and could foresee the future! I don't think I'll start purchasing any furniture just yet.......
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
I don't even see living in gated, and insulated, communities as an option why be in Mexico if you are going to do that.:?:

Many Americans are living in gated communities in the United States with many more gated communities under construction. Mexico doesn't have a monopoly on crime.

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by Stickers]
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 04:50 PM

Maybe I should stay off the internet!

http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2006/11/80131.html
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 07:11 PM

No , not worried but have taken steps to minimize my exposure .

Unloaded about 75% of my real estate since 911. This worked out to be good timing as there were many clueless buyers grabbing anything they could in baja for a couple of years.

This atmosphere has cooled significantly and I would be extremely cautious before buying any real estate at this time especially with the inflated prices that are being asked.

Add to that the current narcopolitical climate (ala scarface on a daily basis) anywhere you go in Mexico and there will remain the concern for the safety of self let alone monetary investment
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 07:13 PM
No, it really is

Quote:
Of course, I realize it's not really owned by us, but through the fideicomiso....

A fideicomiso (bank trust) is a legal instrument that guarantees all the benefits of fee simple title.

I challenge anyone to prove different.

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 08:00 PM

I'd worry much more if I were in Southern Mexico. Southern Mexico is the nucleus of most of the current and recent political problems. I get a much different "feeling" in the north than I do in the south.

While it is possible for problems to spread across the country, I think most unrest will be contained, as it has in recent history, to the southern states or Oaxaca, Michoacan, Chiapas, and parts of Gurrero. Things have been tense in the south for years. Many indigenous people were killed by the army in the 90's durring times of political unrest. There is a feeling of uneasiness that continues.

Times change. Good and bad. We all go though cycles. I feel much more anti-US sentiment nowdays when traveling in Mexico than I did in the past. I hope this changes in the future; but, with the current real and/or perceived anti-mexican sentiment here in the US it does not look like it will change anytime soon.

Things are changing here in the US as well. The government can now legally take your land so they can build a Wal-Mart. So take your pick. I'll pick the place where the water feels fine and the weather suits my sandles.

When I start to worry, I just think of one of my favorite qutoes ever:

"Don't take life too seriously; because, you don't get out of it alive" - Roy Rodgers

Enjoy the ride.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 08:01 PM

"I don't even see living in gated, and insulated, communities as an option why be in Mexico if you are going to do that."

Exactly, Bruce, and yet I got slammed for saying the same thing!..................................I guess it is not what you say, but the way that you say it!

Heck! Baja was never meant to be walled off.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 08:06 PM

No, I am not worried. However, I invest in Mexico property very carefully and prudently, always with my eyes wide open. I never invest ANYWHERE more than I can afford to lose and walk away from if need be.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.