Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Drinkable Baja coffee
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:08 PM
I'm gonna bite my tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Dave....do you do flavored coffee beans?????

and pretend I didn't read this. :rolleyes:

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I like a really good cinnamon or vanilla cream flavor

Tell me aint true!!! Cinnamon and vanilla? Bajablonde, are you using bajaguy's log in??? If you like cinnamon, make a perfect cup of coffe with a french press and stir a cinnamon stick in it...or add some vanilla after, but for GAWD's sake don't RUIN the beans!!!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:20 PM

nope, It's me....bajablonde is watching a "Jack" (24)marathon on the TV
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:21 PM

I am a person that is not worth being around if I do not have a GOOD cup of coffee first......and being from the PNW I too came from having been exposed to the best....even running a primo "coffee" shop boasting the best......I have to tell you that I have found our local coffee coffee in the clear bag with yellow writing is the best ever. I just brew mine up nice and strong...well maybe the kahlua and voka help.....some creamer and I am in heaven.....and thank god I am only a 1 large cup a day drinker or I would have to attend AA in the mornings instead.....still drinking good coffee.......I LOVE OUR COFFEE........and I take many bags as gifts or personal use with me to the US instead of bringing down any when I go.....
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Thank you Lee,
If I hadn't read your post regarding green beans in a popcorn popper, I never would have known. Score another for Nomads.

Great. I learned about it the same way. Someone mentioned that he used the popper as a backup and I found it works fine.

I like to hold the popper in my hands and move/shake it around so the beans all cook evently. The popper pops hotter than I like but it's still a great roast. This is what I use at home:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hearthwareiRoast2.shtml. This model alternates the heat and cools it down for you. Although it has a timer, I like to watch the beans and stop the roast at about medium-dark brown.

Braun has a grinder that many use for coffee. The problem is that the whirly blades slice the bean, and doesn't crush it -- like a grinder that utilizes a ''conical burr" type of grinder. The Solis model below has 20 settings adjusting to every type of brew possible -- including the finest grind -- Turkish. Solis is an excellent entry level grinder and I've had my first model for about 10 years.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/maestrop.cfm.

:cool:
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:24 PM

bajaguy - we do 24 but only on DVD! No commercials; makes 24 hours go buy in about 12.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Thank you Lee,
If I hadn't read your post regarding green beans in a popcorn popper, I never would have known. Score another for Nomads.

Great. I learned about it the same way. Someone mentioned that he used the popper as a backup and I found it works fine.

I like to hold the popper in my hands and move/shake it around so the beans all cook evently. The popper pops hotter than I like but it's still a great roast. This is what I use at home:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hearthwareiRoast2.shtml. This model alternates the heat and cools it down for you. Although it has a timer, I like to watch the beans and stop the roast at about medium-dark brown.

Braun has a grinder that many use for coffee. The problem is that the whirly blades slice the bean, and doesn't crush it -- like a grinder that utilizes a ''conical burr" type of grinder. The Solis model below has 20 settings adjusting to every type of brew possible -- including the finest grind -- Turkish. Solis is an excellent entry level grinder and I've had my first model for about 10 years.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/maestrop.cfm.

you are right the grind is very important I have 2 commercial grinders that I use here and am willing to grind for any one in this area free most of the grinders in the stores are not adjusted and maintained to do a good job.

also after you roast your coffee it is important to screen it or clean it good. when camping I use one of the burlap bags for this and when it gets to oily just throw it in the campfire.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 08:40 PM

Combate instant - in the big square plastic containers. I now have about 45 of the containers, Good for beans, rice, noodles, sugar etc. Also for lots of nuts, bolts and garage stuff.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 10:01 PM

I hate to say it but the best beans I've found so far were from Costco... Jose's Organic
Mexican. In a pinch, we use the Cafe Mam Organic (CCC) but have not found it in whole bean.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 10:04 PM
Thank you

Some good info. I will try the popcorn popper.

I just plug the lil' grinder and one of those motel coffee makers into my inverter(before I blew it up). Makes a good trip companion. :o:o

Thanks Jerry, I know where Sutherlin is. I'll chk it out. Bruce I
forgot to look for those green beans.

Dave, I need to visit yer shop.

Lee, I like your style.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 10:57 PM

hey there LEE...

What's wrong with Cuervo Gold?? Isn't it supposed to be one the finest Tequilas Mexico has to offer??? ......ROTFLMAO!!!!

I remember one trip when we were buying rounds of shots of Cazadores, which happened to be the best that paticular bar had. Well after several of those, one of our buddies bought the next round....Cuervo! Well as I threw back the shot, I started sputtering and coughing and said "what the
H_ _ _ was that? It was like going from fine Olive Oil to Motor Oil.

Amo :lol: :spingrin:
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 11:22 PM

I stopped in the supermarket at Rosarito a while back looking to see what
the coffee offerings were besides the Marino, and Combate. I saw an aluminized vacuumed sealed bag with the plasitc purge valve. I looked at it
out of curiosity of its relatively high tech packaging fore these parts.
The coffee was from the Chiappas area or so it said and was of a premium
blend. I was rather worried of the quality and taste. What smell I could make out from the valve area was rather good. Well I bought one bag and took it home to try one day. When I finally got around to trying it I was very
pleasantly surprised. The coffee was GREAT! Not bitter, nor too strong. Just good bold flavor. The only problem was that I did not write down the name or buy more of it.
The best coffee that I have had in baja by far was almost always in some out of the way ranch, or at places that serve"cafe de olla"
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 12:08 AM

Thanks Lee,

I will try the pop corn popper too. I have always wanted to roast my own but have not known how to do so.

I currently use San Francisco French roast and Dark Roast Sumatran form Costco in the large bags and mix both together and it makes a very good coffee. I grind daily. I am intrigued by the idea or roasing myself. I'll bet the house smells good when you do that! Thanks again.

Iflyfishwithjuanvaldez
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 06:49 AM

all you guys have TOO MUCH EXTRA TIME!!!

grind beans???

i thought coffee came from a can and was shipped in from brazil???:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:09 AM

time?that is what being in Baja Ca. is all about Living slowly and enjoying the finer things in life. slow down BOB and enjoy BAJA.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:21 AM

I've always bought Trader Joe's French Roast at home and for camping in Baja. After moving out of TJ's range this year I tried Costco's French Roast and was pleasantly surprised--and its even cheaper than TJ's.
That said, all that info on green coffee beans from Lee has me interested in trying roasting my own--thanks Lee!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:28 AM

drink coffee and "slow down"???:lol:

i'm on my second pot:saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:40 AM
Roasting at home....

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Thanks Lee,

I will try the pop corn popper too. I have always wanted to roast my own but have not known how to do so.

I currently use San Francisco French roast and Dark Roast Sumatran form Costco in the large bags and mix both together and it makes a very good coffee. I grind daily. I am intrigued by the idea or roasing myself. I'll bet the house smells good when you do that! Thanks again.

Iflyfishwithjuanvaldez

Coffee needs to be roasted outside as it gives off smoke (a wonderful, luxurious, aroma!) as the beans lose moisture and sugars are burned (caramelization).

If you're using the popper, the beans will still be very hot when you dump them out. They will continue to roast and need to be cooled. Water can be sprayed on them or if it's cooler outside, that's fine too.

Also, chaft will also fly around as the outer shell of the bean cooks. No problem.

Some coffee geeks think it's important to air the beans after roasting (degassing) for 24-72 hours. I generally degass 24 hours, then store in a air-tight jar. Sometimes if I'm out of beans, I roast and drink.

My green beans are stored in a burlap bags (I have about 25 bags of various beans) in the dark. Just so the beans aren't exposed to alot of light.

This site is loaded with everything you want to know. http://www.coffeegeek.com/

Flavored coffee? Whatever turns you on. To me, there's almost no bad coffee. Like tequila, it's an acquired taste, and in a pinch, it's all good.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
I stopped in the supermarket at Rosarito a while back looking to see what
the coffee offerings were besides the Marino, and Combate. I saw an aluminized vacuumed sealed bag with the plasitc purge valve. I looked at it
out of curiosity of its relatively high tech packaging fore these parts.
The coffee was from the Chiappas area or so it said and was of a premium
blend. I was rather worried of the quality and taste. What smell I could make out from the valve area was rather good. Well I bought one bag and took it home to try one day. When I finally got around to trying it I was very
pleasantly surprised. The coffee was GREAT! Not bitter, nor too strong. Just good bold flavor. The only problem was that I did not write down the name or buy more of it.
The best coffee that I have had in baja by far was almost always in some out of the way ranch, or at places that serve"cafe de olla"

I think you are talking about the coffe in the black bags with neon-like writing on it. That company produces coffee from at least three regions of Mexico. We tried them all when we were in Mazatlan last March and thought the Chiapas was the best.

I cant remember the name of it either but it was much better than any Combate or Marino that we've had. I have actually preferred the Marino over any of the Combates I have had......but this is all personal preference.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:03 AM

COFFEE ROASTING - reminds me of childhood.My uncle used to do it . He used an iron frying pan, over th fire, forgot for how long he did it.But wasn't THAT long.He grounded it either in an Mortar, or in an coffeegrounder ( you know the old ones you hade a handle on it and you would ground and ground and....) - he made then Turkish coffee - my goodness THAT smell got me hooked to coffee. He would sometimes add a little swig of homemade Slibowitz ( plum shnaps :P).

In Vienna we have a VERY big variety of differnet ways of how to make and flavor/spice coffee.The vast majority of the Viennese population is Coffee addicted. Must be genetic.

While in Baja I was on withdrawal, and suffered as hell. Just had the dryed stuff at the place I stayed :P No coffeemachine available etc....
So I had a Morning Cacao instead.
But I was quite fine with what I got at some restaurants.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.