BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Puerto Escondido ramp, pier (w/pics)
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 03:25 PM
Puerto Escondido ramp, pier (w/pics)

New gate across repaired pier:

The old free parking area is API turf, and is closed with new fence and gate. Parking is still allowed on the street and fishing is being allowed, but not on the pier, and no fishing from shore rules take effect in February.

The old guard shack has moved, and the old pay parking area and ramp are Singlar turf. The ramp and lot are closed. Blue things are boat stands, hundreds of them.

The yellow trucks are for?

Farther in the port, behind a closed gate, lots of new construction, the new ramp (I think), drydock, Escalara infrastructure. Will try and get in there later and take some pics. According to an API person, launching fees at the new ramp are higher, but only temporary. Then they will go higher still.

And there's always one of these:

The bureaucrats are here.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 03:30 PM

Is the (never used) ferry landing dock still there, or has that been dismantled?

The pier was great for fishing... In 1973 I saw yellowtail taken from it!

So sad to see the loss of great recreation in the name of 'progress'!! We used to camp on the shore of Escondido Bay in the 70's... as did dozens of others.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2006 at 11:59 PM

Don,
What are the new regulations starting in Feburary with shore fishing?

Marty
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 04:17 AM

caught Dorado from the wall my first trip there. Wadda shame, especially for those not fortunate or wealthy enough to have a boat.

Shame on all those responsible for this closure. Unfortunately there will be more! Progress???????????

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 08:02 AM
1980 Puerto Escondido

mexico 3.jpg - 32kB
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
Don,
What are the new regulations starting in Feburary with shore fishing?

Marty

I don't know if new fishing regulations are in the works or not. What they are doing is restricting access. Most of the fishing was done from the pier and the wall from the pier to the old ramp, basically that area facing the outer "waiting room" and the channel to the inner harbor. Unauthorized access to the pier is now prohibited. In the remaininder, the parking lots are closed and by February, according to the API guy, foot traffic will be restricted, and fishermen will not be allowed. Kinda like, fishing is legal, but you're tresspassing...

Reason given, according to a neighbor who fishes there every Sunday and talked to API: Mexican fishermen leave unwanted dead fish like puffers on the dock, and clean wanted fish, leaving blood stains. This may offend passengers on the cruise ships that visit.:o

(By the way, cruise ship visits will be only a small, 100 passenger ship and a "yacht cruiser" of 20 passengers, and combined we'll see maybe 6-8 brief stops for only maybe three months.)

Farther inside that area, things are already pretty much locked down to shore access with a fence and gate, and entry is only by a guard shack where parking and launching fees are collected.

Cabo's marina, by the way, does use fishing regulations to prohibit fishing in and around the marina. It's a Marine Reserve.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:55 AM

Don,

Is there any access to water near the pier? I'm thinking about those rocks to the right of the pier entrance. Is that area also fenced off? My son and I would get into the water there and swim to the old pier to the right.

skipjack
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:58 AM

Looks like the groundwork is being laid for another Cabo.:(
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Don,

Is there any access to water near the pier? I'm thinking about those rocks to the right of the pier entrance. Is that area also fenced off? My son and I would get into the water there and swim to the old pier to the right.

skipjack

The new fence is short, and there is an opening to the right, so you can still climb down to the rocks and swim. Question is, will they continue to allow parking on the road? The parking areas are fenced and gated.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 01:37 PM

Quote:

Blue things are boat stands, hundreds of them.

For hundreds of boats... THAT ARE EXACTLY ALIKE? :o

Sure it's not Dizzyland.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:

For hundreds of boats... THAT ARE EXACTLY ALIKE? :o

Sure it's not Dizzyland.

The stands typically have adjustable cradle supports to accommodate all types of boats. Usually the cradles are on long threaded bolts that allow for adjustment with strength.

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 02:50 PM

Skipjack, There is also some really awesome snorkling all along those rocks and around, under the old peir.Nice little beach there also(don't tell anybody!)Ther is a huge golden grouper that lives along there.He is one smart old fart tho.No body can catch him........:biggrin:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Dave
Elite Nomad

wink.gif posted on 12-4-2006 at 06:30 PM
Since Christmas is coming up...

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

I'd like to have me about a dozen of those and they probably wouldn't even miss them. I'm sure the guard could use a little extra holiday money...Don?

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I'd like to have me about a dozen of those and they probably wouldn't even miss them. I'm sure the guard could use a little extra holiday money...Don?

Naw, don't think so. In fact, not only will they miss them, they are going to have to order more. Why, I'll bet the ones they have are just the initial order. We're talking THE Escalara Nautica here...there will be at least 50,000 boats coming down here, and once they see Loreto Bay, most will want to store boats down here.

No, no laughing smilies. No grins. I'm staight-faced.

Totally serious.

Really. They're coming. 50,000 boats. Or more.

It's a boomtown.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 08:02 PM
OK then...

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Really. They're coming. 50,000 boats. Or more.

Forget the stands and get me a dozen boats. The ones that rich folk buy and never sail.

No stinkpots, please. ;D

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 09:04 PM

Well, I'll tell you one thing - if dry storage is available in Loreto (and it will be), this is one boater and Baja addict that will take advantage of it.

I was down there a couple weeks ago, and went in and looked at the facilities. It looks good. Prices remain to be determined, but it looks like it's going to be a hell of a facility.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.