Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nobody home at El Chinero Checkpoint
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:05 PM
Nobody home at El Chinero Checkpoint

Well, almost nobody. When we drove North through the El Chinero Army Checkpoint at 1100 this morning, there was one lonely trooper sitting on the far curb waving everyone through. No others to be seen. Maybe they're all in DF waiting for the insurrection to begin. One odd thing was that the large metal weather covering over the middle of the road was completely gone. It was there when we passed south through there on 07 Nov.

Arrived at the Mexicali Garita Oriente crossing at 1316 to find the traffic backed up easterly to the Truck entrance. It took 17 minutes to get to the entrance road, but surprisingly, the total wait time was only 54 minutes. Tough Inspection. After The Customs agent asked us what we'd brought back, he actually looked through the window of the camper shell filled with Rubbermaid containers and ice chests before waving us through. The experience reinforces my confidence in Homeland Security every time.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 10:10 PM

Thanks Bill ----
I'll sleep better knowing they are on the job. I hope you get the same reinforcement every time you cross. Way better than the alternative.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 11:53 PM
The security at the border is impossible-----

-----given the volume of traffic. Can you immagine the "wait" if all vehicles were inspected as we think they should be??? God forbid that we discover something BIG being smuggled across the border (a bomb?)------you might as well give it up and just stay in Mexico. Utter chaos!!!!!!:yes:

I am not sure there is an answer-------any suggestions?:?:
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:05 AM
Something BIG being smuggled across the border...

Barry A.

I don't think you have to worry about some subversive type showing up at Calexico or TJ with a bomb on board......

"The Smugglers Creed" dictates that you never place
YOU, IT and THEM at the same place at the same time.

YOU and IT, or YOU and THEM, or sometimes IT and THEM, but Never YOU, IT and THEM.

Any self respecting bomb smuggler is going to fall in with a conga line of Mexicano immigrants and high step his way into the USA along with the 155 guys who came in last night!! :dudette:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 07:56 AM

At the border your license plate tells them most of what they want.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 09:21 AM

Has been no one at the El Chinero checkpoint except 1 or 2 observers for at least 3 weeks. All their supplies like the cones - barrels are there so I expect them back someday.

The 28th when I went up was the FIRST time ever that I had to show ID while driving into the USA. Traffic for autos was moving pretty good except for the line I was in. But trucks were lined up for more than a mile to get in the truck entrance line.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 10:06 AM
Silly questions and answers

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
At the border your license plate tells them most of what they want.

I have Mexican plates. I am constantly asked, "Do you live in Mexico?"

Once, I answered, "Very well, thank you."

The inspector didn't appreciate my reply. :rolleyes:

QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 11:26 AM

As for the check points, that same thing happened here in Rosarito Beach, and now it is completely gone. So they may be removing that one.

As for the border. Part of the problem with the waiting is the guys that walk among the cars, and check them. Sometimes with dogs, but usually just looking. They will ask for papers, and poke around, and in the mean time, the same lane is almost empty because the guy at the booth was processing cars as well. Then they finally let that car go ahead, and Guess what. HE is stopped at the booth, and checked again. And then passed. Not sent to secondary or anything.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:48 PM
Que Pasa Baja------

----this is designed to keep everybody guessing, and it appears to work. :lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:57 PM
Loretana-------

perhaps the words "self respecting smuggler" is the key word here. They do occasionally intercept shipments of dope worth a great deal at the border checks------

As for serious bomb smugglers joining the hordes crossing the border illegally------does the word "fence", or "wall" ring pertinant to you??

Anything to slow down the flood, I say, and attempt at keeping folks LEGAL is fine with me.

Last year I came back into the USA from Canada in my truck, it took me about 2 hours to get thru and there were only about 25 cars ahead of me------think what the Mexican border would be like if they were as thorough??? Ouch!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.