BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Border Crossing at San Ysidro?
ezzy

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 02:28 AM
Border Crossing at San Ysidro?

When I cross the border with my travel trailer, I understand that I have to get my tourist card, then go to a bank nearby to pay for it? Is there parking for a truck trailer at the border while I do this paperwork? Or where do I go. Is there a best time to cross to be speedy?
Thanks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 06:29 AM

i pull in all the time with a trailer...

just go to the far right declare lane

lots of busses there too...

the bank is only 4 "windows" away it's right there.

normally the declare area is pretty clear...just go 10 minutes total and you're out

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 07:36 AM

as bob said pull to the far right(secondary) and tell them that your getting a tourist card. they will direct you to the parking. good luck.:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 08:16 AM

San Ysidro is the best place to cross into Mexico if you are getting a tourist card BECAUSE it has a 24/7 bank teller right there in the same complex as the immigration (INM) office.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 11:29 AM

Rumor has it that the day's shift begins at 6:00am. If you get there between 5 and 6 am, the inspectors are more interested in going home than spending a lot of time with inspections....rumor has it.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 11:52 AM

If it's at all possible for you to go thru really early in the AM, like around 6am, you should have no problems. When it's busy, sometimes they dont want long rigs hanging around in the inspection area, especially if you are in the middle and outside inspection lanes. I find they grant me more leniency if I am in the inside lane closest to the actual windows because the buses never seem to use that lane.

If they tell you to keep moving, try and park just beyond the inspection area (still within sight of it) and leave room for other vehicles to get around you. That has worked for me, too.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:31 PM

you have to get a tourist card but you don'r HAVE to pay until a week

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 09:17 PM

Got ours just before baja 1000. Took 20 minutes tops.Super smooth even considering the official kept glancing over his shoulder watching "Sabido Gigante" on TV:tumble:
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 09:41 PM

If you cross early in the morning you might have to wake up the bank teller. Just tap on the window even if you don't see anyone inside. And the immigration office might have the lights turned out so they can watch TV.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 06:07 AM

between 5 & 6am stopped once in four years with numerous crossings.

gp

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.