Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: two questions, never traveled baja
iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:18 PM
two questions, never traveled baja

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could answer some of my questions as I hav bever traveld in Baja, or even Mexico for that reason. I plan on backpacking, camping out in a tent most of the time. I plan on hitting up some hotels every now and then looking for a private room. I have heard 300 or so US dollars is plenty for traveling Baja for two weeks. Is this true? Also, I am unsure what the safest way to carry ash is... Should I carry cash or rock out with a debit card?
Lastly, I am flying into San Diego, menaing I will need to drive over the border. What forms of ID will Ineed to enter/leave Mexico?
best regards,
-Ian
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:27 PM

iclarke! I'm thinking that $300 or so US$ isn't gonna be enough cash.:D Don't lose the card.:D You gonna hitchhike? Do you plan on eating?:(
iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:33 PM

Cypress
I am also traveling with my girlfriend who is bringing around the same amount. We are mostly taking buses, and maybe hitchhiking. How much does a decent dinner and bus fares cost?
how much cash should I save then for two weeks assuming I already bought air fare?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:35 PM

Where do you plan to stay and how far into Baja are you going ?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:38 PM

you need to do a lot more research be for coming down here, and I realize that is what you are trying to do here. your questions are very hard to answer because we don't know how sparsely you want to travel. there are so many questions that I would need answered before I could give you any advice. If you could give us some more facts we could help you more.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:41 PM

If you hitchhike it don't matter how much money you bring. You'll never get the chance to spend it.

Baja has changed. Solo travelers/campers are easy prey. Rethink your plans.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:46 PM

iclarke, I'd advise you listen to Bruce.:)
iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:47 PM

good point.
I am trying to find the cheapest way to travel down to Del Cabo and back to San DIego with occasional splurges on a hotel room, boat rides out to islands, and eating well most every night out of food markets. I am bringing full backpacking gear... i.e. camping stove, sleeping bag, tent, clothing, head lamp, a camera, snorkeling gear, duct tape, two knives handy for various purposes. I plan on carrying food in my hiking pack most every day. My gf was aksing if we could ride some train that goes around the some canyon, I might give in.
I hope this information helps, if not please feel free to ask away.
cheers
iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:48 PM

in response to Dave... what is a safe alternative to hitchhiking? Is the bus system reliable?
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:52 PM

My wife and I have been beach camping near San Felipe for several years with a teenager-- For about 2 weeks. We Credit card our gas down and back.
We bring $1000.00 cash we do pay for camping and shrimp, beer, tequila—
And eat out a few times. We also buy a lot of motorcycle gas: but we bring most of our food. We don’t bring back a lot of$$$
It’s an inexpensive family vacation and I get to ride my motorcycle a lot.
Life is good
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 12:53 PM

Cabo is the last place you want to go on 150 per week. I would not cross the border with only 300 dollars. I really don't think you could ride the buss to Ensenada and stay 3 days on 300us

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:02 PM

what kind of trip is doable on 1200us$ for two weeks?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:02 PM

Bus fare- it's about $100 from Tijuana to Loreto, one way, just to give you an idea. So round trip bus fare will more than eat up $300 if you want to go to Cabo.

The railroad and canyon-Copper Canyon-are onthe Mexican mainland, not Baja.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iclarke
in response to Dave... what is a safe alternative to hitchhiking? Is the bus system reliable?

Bus travel is reliable and recommended, but that only solves one problem. I would stay in hotels. Camping alone in a remote isolated area has become a very dangerous proposition. Sad, but that's the reality.

Others here may disagree but if it were their child I'd suspect they would offer the same advice.

iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:13 PM

thanks for the info Dave. How much do hotels cost per night for a clean room, not neccesarily private bathrooms?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
what kind of trip is doable on 1200us$ for two weeks?

now you are talking. If I were you I would take a bus to Guerrero Negro and get a ride to ASCENSION camp a day or 2 then get rides down the Pacific side a ways and camp and ride your way to Mulege on the back rodes. the spend a day or 2 on the beach south of Mulege. then get a ride south or bus and try aqua Verdi and so forth. I will let some one else gyed you thrugh the south land.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info Dave. How much do hotels cost per night for a clean room, not neccesarily private bathrooms?

If you search carefully and perhaps bargain a bit you can find rooms in the $20/5 dollar range. I've found rooms/camping for 30-50% off, even in season.

iclarke

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 01:25 PM

how much would I spend on food if I went out to a restaurant as opposed to cooking food from food markets each night?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 02:17 PM

That depends on what you mean by "restaurant." You can eat super cheap (and well) at roadside stands (for example, tacos of various varieties are usually less than a buck each). Restaurants with interior seating and table service will obviously be more.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2006 at 02:34 PM
Food is not cheap in Mexico

you will pay more for same items in U.S. Like I tell my friends "there ain't no deal in Mexico!" There used to be.

If you are clever about food. i.e. ; catch fish, eat lard tortillas,rice etc. and you purify and drink only water, stay at busy gringo campsites and bum rides from other travelers. It may be possible to do a week on $300.

I think most Americanos are waaaaaay too spoiled for that.

Even our friend Graham Macintosh had a plane deliver goods and he is one of the hard-core adventurers in Baja. Maybe you should check out his way. But even in remote places one needs stuff..........daily.

Planning is the key. Bring mo money!:lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.