Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Boat Seizues B.C.S
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 10:21 AM
Boat Seizues B.C.S

PROFEPA BOAT SEIZURES

Before Thanksgiving a friend of mine and his partner had their boats and gear seized by PROFEPA. They were found to be in illegal possession of sea shells.
Five PORFEPA agents in a 25ft panga boarded their boats about 8 miles west of isla del Carmen. Their dive gear was taken and they were ordered to follow them to Loreto.
The guys soon the lost sight of the agents, since the panga was much faster, and decided to return to Juncalito to inform the rest of the group of the situation and before proceeding to Loreto. Not more than a few minutes later several PROFEPA vehicles arrived and seized the boats and ordered the guys to Loreto where they were questioned for hours and made to sign statements in Spanish which they could not read.
An attorney has been hired in La Paz and the proposed fine is $2,500,000 pesos. The attorney informed the guys that PROFEPA has been very active targeting tourist and fining them.
Has anyone had their boat and gear seized by PROFEPA and have had their property returned???
Any help or ideas would be appreciated....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 10:30 AM

They ignored the instructions given to them by the PROFEPA?::?: If I'm wrong about this let me know, but when the "Law" tells you to do something it's a good idea to follow their instructions.:yes:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 10:34 AM
Profepa

Yes--they have been busy. However, are you sure it was just sea shells that they had. I know of two groups down your way that were fined and boats were taken for illegal taking of lobster and using spear guns (which is illegal). Mexico is getting serious about conservation. You even need to get a permit to cut brush and trees on your own property. Check with your friends and see if it was only sea shells that they had. I am sorry that had their boats and gear taken.....but I have seen them take pangas from pangeros too.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:04 AM

You are right. They should have followed to Loreto. Not follwing made the probelm worse...
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:11 AM

They have been busy. They were all over a Mexican panga at the marina yesterday.

I just returned from the office at the marina. I am trying to renew the fishing license on my Fish 'n Dive kayak. I've had it licensed for three years but this year they will not renew unless I have "documents." Like state registration papers for a 12 foot kayak. I was going fishing Friday or Saturday, now, hmmm...
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:25 PM

I don't want to steal a subject,, but does anybody know if having a speargun on the boat (with boat permit and fish licenses for all aboard) while you dive is illeagal? I mean, having a speargun is legel, freediving with a speargun is legal, but if I plan to dive without a spear gun and then drop my gear on the boat and do couple of freedives with the gun??? I know they could always say that you got the fish while you were diving and not freediving cause you got your gear onboard, or is it only if you get caught in the act? Any experiences with that? I am planning on a trip to Loreto area for christmas and don't want to get in trouble, or have my gear and boat taken away.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
PROFEPA BOAT SEIZURES

Before Thanksgiving a friend of mine and his partner had their boats and gear seized by PROFEPA. They were found to be in illegal possession of sea shells.
Five PORFEPA agents in a 25ft panga boarded their boats about 8 miles west of isla del Carmen. Their dive gear was taken and they were ordered to follow them to Loreto.
The guys soon the lost sight of the agents, since the panga was much faster, and decided to return to Juncalito to inform the rest of the group of the situation and before proceeding to Loreto. Not more than a few minutes later several PROFEPA vehicles arrived and seized the boats and ordered the guys to Loreto where they were questioned for hours and made to sign statements in Spanish which they could not read.
An attorney has been hired in La Paz and the proposed fine is $2,500,000 pesos. The attorney informed the guys that PROFEPA has been very active targeting tourist and fining them.
Has anyone had their boat and gear seized by PROFEPA and have had their property returned???
Any help or ideas would be appreciated....

no you will never have that Boat or equipment again. the best you could hope for ids to get that Fine reduced a bit

to every one in Mexico. Know the law and stay well within it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:39 PM

Bruce,

If you've got the right connections, maybe you can get me a deal on a recently confiscated panga ??? :biggrin:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:44 PM

Cymeryss,
Loreto is part of national aquatic park system. You can dive, with tanks I presume, but spearfishing in the park is a no-no, free diving or not. And if you have tanks on board ,get stopped, and try to explain that your fish were shot while freediving? Lots of luck !! Better get to know the park boundaries before you go out. Right now pretty much all the prime freedive-spearfishing spots are out of bounds.
But happy hunting anyway !:spingrin::spingrin:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:46 PM

usually the ones that PROFEPA gets never see water again. just like the cars they go into impound lots and never come out.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
usually the ones that PROFEPA gets never see water again. just like the cars they go into impound lots and never come out.

So who's brother-in-law has the keys to the impound ??? :lol:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:55 PM

seems they should have an auction??

jerry and judi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:00 PM

what they need to watch for now is if they own any thing in Mexico the PROFEPA Will seize it in Lu of the pending fine. also there could be criminal charges filed. could be a good time to join the DOG in Hawaii.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:10 PM

Not sure about spear fishing , but if youare in a boat with fishing equipment onboard you and (all other passangers are required to have a fishing license) those folks proably had shellfish on board, usually in post like this lots of facts are changed for one reason or another,, i remember a post along these lines Shari warning people about the possibility of this happening
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:26 PM

Why the sympathy for these poachers? For over twenty years i've listen to stories or witnessed in disgust gringos taking shellfish illegally and over limits of fish all over baja with no fear of reprisal. You would think this mexican resource was their god-given right. The nerve of these lawbreakers. Finally the mexican government is doing something constructive about it. Hope PROFEPA keeps up the good work and takes all their boats and gear.

HH
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:49 PM

So is fishing legal in the Loreto Park? How about spearfishing? I need to figure out these laws before I go down there. Thanks for any input.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:50 PM

thank you howat no one can plead ignorant on this the laws have been in effect for many years and every one knows that sooner or later they will be unforced. allot of these Mexican bureaucracy's are out trying to make examples of some people who are operating in illegal fashion right now we have the radio guys here now and they are going to catch someone on 2 meters or some other frequency with out a license and they are going to throw the book at them soothers will get legal. also the immigration dept. is getting ready to make some sweeps. it is encouraging to see this hapening.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:03 PM

Cymeryss

Read my post again. Fishing OK. No spearfishing in the park.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cymeryss
So is fishing legal in the Loreto Park? How about spearfishing? I need to figure out these laws before I go down there. Thanks for any input.

why don't you check there website or read the paper they give you when you get your license, or better both.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:20 PM
DON

Check your U2U
djh.

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.