BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Travel during Easter week- is it worth the hassle?
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:32 AM
Travel during Easter week- is it worth the hassle?

I'm a strong advocate of public education. My biggest complaint is that it really cramps our travel opportunities.

My daughter is off the week after Easter, giving us April 7-15. Would we be crazy trying to make it to San Ignacio for this week? I would plan to cross the border at about 7:00 Saturday morning and probably come back home the next Saturday.

Given the short timeline I might just go to Bahia de los Angeles, taking two days each way.

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by jimqpublic]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 11:42 AM

Yep! You're not crazy, I hope. Head south and have a good time. What about Christmas?:light:
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 12:11 PM

Baja - probably not too bad. Any of the mainland resort areas (PV, Mazatlan, etc.) - forget it.

:cool:
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:07 PM

Keep in mind that "Spring Breaks" often coincide with/around Easter. That may complicate issues with beach communities near the border.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:08 PM

If it's Semana Santa week just know that is the most popular camping week of the year and most beaches which are empty all year will fill ten camps deep all along the beach nearly everywhere. It is an education. Mexican campers during Semana Santa will surprise you for their devotion to fun and luxory beyond any comparison to US campers. They haul the whole four poster bed, the fridge, a generator, full eight foot fluorescent lights etc and the sound system. It's all fun until you realize that you can't sleep at night (or ever) due to the noise and parties and sanitation is at a minimum at best. It can be fun, just a little overwhelming.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:42 PM

The only place we go during that week is Agua Verde as it's remote and there aren't so many people. The traffic easter week is crazy and there are TOMS of accidents....lots of drunk drivers. It's the worst time to travel the baja...crowded beaches, noisy, dangerous, just not a great time. Our village is deserted as most people go to the gulf beaches or San Roque...and towns like Guerrero Negro look like ghost towns too...everyone goes camping.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 01:48 PM

avoid like the plague................:barf::barf::barf::!:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajadreamer

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:31 PM
Easter Week

We find the week before Easter (Semana Santa) to be much worse than the week after Easter. Easter Sunday is the worst driving day for us.

Jim
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:52 PM

La Paz, La Paz, La Paz and La Paz!

gp

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 02:59 PM

Just get used to the constant pulse of ATVs and Nortena music. You'll be fine.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:49 PM

Time for the annual "which days are semana santa" hypotheses...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 03:57 PM

Isnt it always the week preceeding Easter Sunday?

I'd go BOLA, it wont be bad at all, especially since you're talking about the week AFTER Easter.

Two days each way to get to BOLA? You can make it in one day easily, if you leave early enough. Why waste two days on the road?

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 04:51 PM

Gotta agree, the week preceding Easter Sunday is the busiest. However, for those of us with kids of school age, some school districts are out that week and some are out the week after, like Catholic schools.

My oldest daughter went to Michigan State, just graduated, (thankyou very much) and they had their spring break the last week of Feburary.

Go figure!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 05:06 PM

Mexican schools had the both the week before and the week after Easter off this year. I would expect the same in 2007.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 05:26 PM

we have camped at punta chivato 2 times at easter over the years,and it is a real zoo.but my new friends told us we could use the bano they dug 3 feet from my camper
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 05:28 PM

I did the exact same trip last year and it was nice:spingrin: There were some people on the road but not too bad. We were in Loreto, Mulege, San Ignacio, G.N. and BOLA. Always got a room and never encountered a crowd. I would do it again that week in a heart beat.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
we have camped at punta chivato 2 times at easter over the years,and it is a real zoo.but my new friends told us we could use the bano they dug 3 feet from my camper

At least they had the courtesy to dig one. Last Semana Santa at La Bocana, some idiot just dropped trou on the headlands, right in the middle of the path down to the beach. I guess they figured dogs do it, so why not? My wife, who stepped in it, didn't find it very amusing.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Two days each way to get to BOLA? You can make it in one day easily, if you leave early enough. Why waste two days on the road?

Towing our camper with wife, 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son in the car it's two days. At least!

Before kids it was an easy day on the motorcycle, even including offroad excursions. Children change one's perception of time and distance.

Jim
Long Beach

[Edited on 12-8-2006 by jimqpublic]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 09:51 PM

Hang on Jim; by the time they both reach 7, travelling will start getting easier again !!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-7-2006 at 10:27 PM
Stop the madness!

Here goes the usual answer for this question. 2007 easter Sunday or Domingo de Resureccion is April 8, schools in México have the week prior and the week after easter as vacation, businesses close Thursday- Sunday of easter week, that means April 5th - 8th 2007 and that is when you get the most concentration of people (mexican) on holiday. You say your going to San Ignacio, go, you're not crazy, it won't be crowded and it will still be whale watching and touching season, you and your daughter will love it. Traffic will be bussy Sunday the 8th but ok after that, beach destinations like Bahia de los Angeles will be crowded. Instead of 7 could you leave at 4 or 5? That way you drive the safest parts dark and by daylight you have the two lane hwy. I imagine youre close to the border. here is the school calendar
http://www.educacionbc.edu.mx/calendario%202007/default.htm
Have fun
saludos

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.