Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Felipe 250
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 01:05 PM
San Felipe 250

Is there a more or less "regular" course layout for this race? We have a trip in the planning stages and we'll be on the Gulf, somewhat near the mountains west of San Felipe around the time scheduled for next year's race.

Does this race usually not go as far south as Gonzaga?

John M
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 01:24 PM

never that far south . only 250 miles a loop. hits matomi wash.
very fun weekend.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
CShirk

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 01:30 PM

It does not go to Gonzaga. You can go to www.score-international.com to check out the course a month before. I tried to attatch a map of last years, but it's in PDF, so I don't know if it will work.
Usually it only goes down to Matomi wash, not even to Puertocitos.
The inland part of the course goes through the diablo dry lake, then Morelia Junction, and down Huatamote wash, back up Chanate wash, and then down to Matomi Wash, then back north up to the arches in SF
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 03:14 PM

when is the race?

yuletide
CShirk

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 03:30 PM

2007: March 9-11
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 08:42 PM

John, here's a web site I made of the race course, in detail thanks to satellite mapping by 'bajalou'... http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/sf250/

This was the course used the past two years in a row, I believe...

[Edited on 12-10-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 11:14 AM

If the race starts and runs north first, a good place to watch is at race mile 18. Access is at hwy 5 at KM168, there's a ranch on the right at the turn off. This part of the course has a lip that has bit several of the cars and trucks. Some roll overs and lot's of nose stands.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 03:12 PM
Thanks TW

I'll make a note of that.

From what I deciphered from the Score site is that contingency is in the early morning hours, race a bit later, same day.

Some of the folks with us have not seen an off-road race and I thought hitting contingency and then a spot to watch would be a cool thing.

As the time nears, and the schedule & course map are published we can make better plans. We'll be camping somewhere in one of the canyons to the west and this would make a dandy day trip.

Thanks all - and David - thanks for the maps - hope the course stays similar.

John M
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
...From what I deciphered from the Score site is that contingency is in the early morning hours, race a bit later, same day....John M

Contingency is from 1000h to 1700h on Friday. The race begins Sat at 0600h.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 04:19 PM

Bufeo, I just saw the 1000 on NBC. Why didn't you mention that your son in law was going to co dawg for Robbie. I was wondering why he wasn't on a bike, especially after I read reports that he was teaming with Mouse and Travis on a Zuk. I know you don't like to broadcast, but enquireing minds want to know.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 05:29 PM

Contingency is on Friday usually on the Malecon. Great day activity, see the suppliers of parts etc. and all the race vehicles as they come by to register and be checked by Score officials. I can usually invest 4-6 hours there with no trouble. Where are you planning to camp- John, in the canyons to the west of Valle Chico? Depending on the final course, there might be some good spots to watch in the valle - but not if you have to come back out to town.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Bufeo, I just saw the 1000 on NBC. Why didn't you mention that your son in law was going to co dawg for Robbie. I was wondering why he wasn't on a bike, especially after I read reports that he was teaming with Mouse and Travis on a Zuk. I know you don't like to broadcast, but enquireing minds want to know.

Hey Minnow. How're you doin'?

You know I don't mind giving Andy (that's Andy G not Andy Mc) plugs, but I guess the opportunity never arose. Robby more than once after the race credits Andy G with info about the portion for which he was co-dawg as being extremely beneficial.

This race was, in a way, prep for the Dakar Rally, in which Andy G will again be in the right seat. After looking at the map (DR map) that is now posted, the first part of the rally will be over terrain that Andy covered in the '06 rally. That should benefit them a lot.

The reason Andy exited at the pit (in the NBC coverage) was that his Class 10 car was on the road behind them. What Andy didn't know when he got out was just how far behind their car was. There had been a lot of trouble with a fuel switch (computer module) and tracing it down, fixing it, and coping with all the other problems put them several hours behind D Hardesty.

By the time Andy got in the driver's seat they were well off the pace but still in the running for a finish. Unfortunately, another malfunction caused yet another delay and they missed the cut-off for the check point.

Yeah, but wait'll next year.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 07:03 PM

Hey Bufeo,

Did you know "Buzz" from years ago? He had a place at Punta Bufeo along with his son who is a San Diego Firefighter who sometimes flew his plane there. He was my neighbor, lived about 5 houses away in Bay Park (San Diego). His wife still lives there. Buzz had a lot of good Baja stories. He's been deceased about 10 years now?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Hey Bufeo,

Did you know "Buzz" from years ago? ... .

Can't say that I've heard that name associated with anyone at PB. This is only our 7th year for having a place there, so we're not 'old-timers' in that sense, but I haven't heard that nickname for anyone. Do you have another name? We're a close neighborhood, so I'm sure that someone will remember him.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:42 AM

Sorry, only knew him as "Buzz" He had a D-8 tractor to launch his boat. His son is a firefighter that flys in.

Thought I'd ring a bell here. I drove to Gonzaga about 8 years ago and his stuff was still there. My brother knows his son, I'll have to ask him his name.

Just making conversation is all.

Have a good one!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:55 AM

Billy Davis is the son's name, again, just making conversation. Beautiful area you have there. Will have to make it back down there again in the spring. Busy now, building new home 25 miles south of San Felipe.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 01:07 PM
BajaLou

Not certain where we're camping. The esteemed "aridologist" Neal Johns is partnering with me to put this trip together - we'll have 10 days in Baja with the aforementioned canyons one of the destinations.

If he hasn't forgotten, Neal might be able to answer - if he can still see to type - but he drives ok.

John M
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 02:08 PM

I'd like to meet you both when you're in the area, and any offer any help that I might be able to give

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 07:34 AM

"[The esteemed "aridologist" Neal Johns is partnering with me to put this trip together - we'll have 10 days in Baja]"

Watch out he'll have you on the pole line road sittin on a big rock before it's over.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 05:00 PM

Oh goodie, another Pole Line Road party... This time for TOYOTA owners? Can Ken Cooke and his Rubicon Jeep Club resist the urge to go?
Will 'Squarecircle' have his new ride ready for the rigors of remote Baja trails built during WWII?

[Edited on 12-13-2006 by David K]

{Q-E}Pole Line Road 2004 020.jpg - 47kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.