Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving to Cabo New Home is done
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 03:36 PM
Driving to Cabo New Home is done

Hello All,
I'm new here, just stumbled upon this forum. Anyhow Im leaving next week from Tijuana to Cabo. I have a ton of Q's.
I bought a 93 jeep grand cherokee for 2500.00.
Had it gone thru and its tip top. The plan is to leave it there forever. Is this possible? Once I get there and put the phone/elec in my name
I believe I can get fFM2 or 3 papers not sure which I need, and then transfer the car to Mexico plates/Reg.
Or am I going about this wrong?
Do I get the papers at the tijuana border and put the sticker in my car?
Im also Taking the Ford Expedition we own but we plan to bring that back.
Also Im bringing my 3 Dogs. Which Ive got all the shots and health cert. Handled and dated next week.
We need a car down there as a keeper. Were only taking the expedition cuz the 3 dogs, and we need to split them up.
Im flying 2 friends that are Mex citizen's to Tijuana, They will ride with us to Cabo.
I guess my biggest fear is the border stuff. I was gonna insure both trucks in San Diego prior to crossing. Then my belief is that just accross the border there is a place/office I need to stop at to get a tourist card and car sticker and show my dog papers?
My wife speaks spanish so that will help.
Also I plan on flying home on a chartered plane at the end of January with the 3 dogs. And then at some point get the Expedition home prior to the sticker running out.
Any help would be appreciatted , Trying to decorate a home in Mexico is gonna be pretty tuff, But All I care about is getting thru the border smooth and in route to Cabo. We plan to take our time and only drive during daylight hours of course.

Thanks in Advance
Chris

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 03:57 PM

New home in Cabo ands dogs flying in their own private Learjet? Wow, your just the kind of rich, spoiled yahoo that Baja needs more of. What's for dinner barbequed Vaquita?
Only teasing.
Your plan seems good except why bother changing the registration on your jeep. As long as it's current US reg and insured for Mex you should be ok.
Just get your tourist card at the border and your covered. You can get your FM3 latter

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
New home in Cabo ands dogs flying in their own private Learjet? Wow, your just the kind of rich, spoiled yahoo that Baja needs more of. What's for dinner barbequed Vaquita?
Only teasing.
Your plan seems good except why bother changing the registration on your jeep. As long as it's current US reg and insured for Mex you should be ok.
Just get your tourist card at the border and your covered. You can get your FM3 latter

None of thats going on. And whats Vaquita? I know you were teasing. :spingrin:
I just pulled equity out of a home here and bought in a development there. Said and Done ,furnished for under 250k
http://www.piscesrealestate.com/lifestyle/casa-mexicana.pdf
So it just made sense, its gonna be a vacation rental.
Theres no time limit on a US reg car in Mex?
So are you saying just get a tourist card?
I dont need a special vehicle permit/sticker?
I thought the sticker was like a 180 day or something?

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 05:33 PM

No vehicle permit needed in Baja Calif or Baja Calif Sur

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 06:28 PM

Wow......
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 06:48 PM

Well. No kidding here. I'm kind of jealous. I spend two weeks in Cabo every November, and am envious that you were able to find a house that cheap & furnished at that. Be sure to do some of your shopping at the Artisan center on the highway to San Jose Del Cabo, just on the edge of town (Cabo)on the beach side of the highway. Great prices, and good selection. I'm sure others will offer other locations also. Are you planning on letting the renters of your house use your car that you will be leaving down there?
I'd be worried of an insurance exposure myself. What subdivision did you end up in? Do you have ocean views? It's probably on the north side of the highway I'd presume. Enjoy your trip down. If you spend any time in Guerro Negro, beware the police traps on the main street going into town. Nice & wide, with stop signs way over on the right hand side on the sidewalk. Easy to miss!!!!! Are you going to rent your house youself? Or are you going to use a vacation rental firm? Be aware that the Mexican government is going after the gringos that "rent" their timeshares & homes & condo's & not reporting the income to the Mexican gov't so they can claim the (what is it?) capitol gains tax of 40%???????
It's amazing how some people have to "dig" a little at someone who has a dream & has the means to do it, and wave it off by saying, "I'm just kiddin".

[Edited on 12-11-2006 by Phil S]
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 08:25 PM

Phil,

Thanks for the feedback. Ive been to Artisans, Its next door to the Marble yard we had do our counter tops. The place has alot of cool stuff. Were gonna buy some items there. Im not going to let the renters have access to the garage. So the car is not a issue. Im in Casa Mexicana. Phase 3.
Phase 1-2 are done and people live there.
Phase 3 is being completed this week.
Phase 4 starts soon and is sold out already. I got mine for 217. Added 1 bedroom, wetbar, steamer, and a larger deck for 160,000 pesos. Unbelievable. Same floor plan without upgrades in Phase 4 sold for 325,000. Im one of a few who is going down for the holidays so there concentrating on getting ours done.
Its a free standing 2300 sq foot home, Ocean/Arch views from all rooms. 3 bedroom, 4 full baths, 8x5 steam shower, wet bar,
A/C in each room. Were doing it pirate style. We had a skull/crossbones Medallion made here in the states for the entry floor. Im gonna do really rustic heavy furniture, Black Iron and stuff. Im a builder here in So Cal. Orange County. Im gonna build a couch, luvseat, chair and have them uphoulstered in Cabo. Were just gonna find the rest thru out Mexico, I bought my Fridge/Oven at City Club but they dont have the matching Micro/Dishwasher, Im gonna DHL those down there I think.
Im 4 km from town. Basically accros from Monuments and just past Home Depot. 18 homes per phase with a community pool and a secured gate with guard.
Heres the view from my patio off the Master bedroom/Living room

Once I get there Im ok but its the drive with the Wife, 19 yr old son, 3 dogs and 2 friends, 2 trucks. I need a Hotel that allows pets. I wont be living Rosarito tell about noon. that gives me 5-6 hrs driving time.
Where should I plan on staying?
Ill get up early the next day and charge all day. I think Ill need another nite? Not sure. but I need to plan my stops.
By day 2 Ill only have about 16 hrs driving in. So Ill finish the 3rd day.
Any Suggestions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Well. No kidding here. I'm kind of jealous. I spend two weeks in Cabo every November, and am envious that you were able to find a house that cheap & furnished at that. Be sure to do some of your shopping at the Artisan center on the highway to San Jose Del Cabo, just on the edge of town (Cabo)on the beach side of the highway. Great prices, and good selection. I'm sure others will offer other locations also. Are you planning on letting the renters of your house use your car that you will be leaving down there?
I'd be worried of an insurance exposure myself. What subdivision did you end up in? Do you have ocean views? It's probably on the north side of the highway I'd presume. Enjoy your trip down. If you spend any time in Guerro Negro, beware the police traps on the main street going into town. Nice & wide, with stop signs way over on the right hand side on the sidewalk. Easy to miss!!!!! Are you going to rent your house youself? Or are you going to use a vacation rental firm? Be aware that the Mexican government is going after the gringos that "rent" their timeshares & homes & condo's & not reporting the income to the Mexican gov't so they can claim the (what is it?) capitol gains tax of 40%???????
It's amazing how some people have to "dig" a little at someone who has a dream & has the means to do it, and wave it off by saying, "I'm just kiddin".

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 08:31 PM

Car: you don't need to do anything except keep a current US registration. However, you cannot leave anything in Baja when you leave unless you have an FM3. So get that before you leave your vehicle and stuff.

You can get Mexican insurance on the internet, some firms will mail you the policy, others you can print out on your pc, so you could have your insurance done in 15 minutes or less. Maybe you can get a better deal, shop around etc rather than buy right at the border.

Have the dogs vacinated within a year of entering and leaving Mexico. Visit a vet just before you leave and get a health certificate for them. The authorities never look even though it's a requirement but don't gamble with your pets. Also, get them Advantics flea and tick collars from a vet, and put them on three or four days before you come down. Ticks are unreal in Loreto, at least, don't know about Cabo and some carry doggie diseases. And of course protect them from heartworm too.

Insurance for your house: I've never made a claim, but I use Lewis and Lewis in Beverly Hill. Do a search on the web, they do car insurance too.

If you cross at San Ysidro, stay to the right, the Declare lane. There's a covered parking area there and someone can tell you where to get your tourist card and where to pay for it. You can also declare anything you are bringing down for your house that may be subject to duty. Don't ask them about the dogs, just be ready if they ask you.
wrk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 08:45 PM

You can stay at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio with the dogs or in Mulege at Serenidad. You can make it thru to Cabo the next day but it's a long day. Best to stop in Loreto and from there it's an easy drive the next day. The Iguana Inn is lovely and they accept well behaved dogs.
Have you been reminded to buy Mexican car insurance? before you cross the border. I'm sure you have, I just skimmed your questions.
Be sure to give your dogs heartworm pills plus frontline before you get here - and continue while you are here. Heartworm and ehrlicea is rampant.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 09:14 PM

Thanks,
Don, I was planning on leaving Jan 3rd, flying home for a couple wks and then flying back, I will only be there 2 wks, My wife and son are staying there tell the end of Jan. When we all plan to fly home. If the car doesnt need a permit why cant I leave it and fly home no q's asked?
Im not sure how to go about getting a FM3 while in Cabo. I know I wont have my bank statements with me. Now Im confused.
I was gonna buy my flight home prior to leaving next wk.

wrk,
Thanks for the Hotel tips Im gonna look into to those.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
If the car doesnt need a permit why cant I leave it and fly home no q's asked?
Im not sure how to go about getting a FM3 while in Cabo. I know I wont have my bank statements with me. Now Im confused.
I was gonna buy my flight home prior to leaving next wk.

Yeah, you can probably leave it. But technically you are supposed to have an FM3 if you leave stuff behind, otherwise it's considered abandoned. But if it's in a safe place you're probably OK.

[Edited on 12-11-2006 by Don Alley]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 11:31 PM

I've left my truck down there on several occasions when I was on a FMT. Sometimes on private property sometimes at the airport (Lapaz) parking lot. No one ever bothered it.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S

I said I was teasing not kidding. You certainly are easily amazed!
Trojan, I'm proud of you for living your dream and having the means to do so. Good job!
Is that better Phil S?

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 12:39 AM

Trojan, you say you will leave Rosarito at noon. By my calculations your best and only bet for 5-6 hours of driving is Catavina. Beter make a reservation too. Get fuel at El Rosario.:cool:

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 01:39 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the issue whether or not you have legally imported and paid duty on items you've brought in to Mexico that determines what you can leave there and not your immigration status?

Many of my Fm3 holding friends who live in Baja full time have paid the duty to legally import their vehicles and get Baja plates because isn't that the way that you're actually supposed to keep a foreign vehicle in the country? This is the first I've heard that an Fm3 automatically allows you forgo the import tax. Did I understand you correctly Don?

I've said many times, when we stop and declare the building materials and supplies for our home, Aduana never asks us our immigration status before accepting the importation tax for the items. We've owned properties, gotten fideicomisos, and have just built a house in Baja Sur and an FMT (tourist card) has been an acceptable form of immigration document in all of these instances. We're not retired yet and don't qualify for FM3's because of the Mexican bank account requirement that our local Mexican immigration office has (San Carlos, mag bay) but we legally own our property according to mexican law and we have paid the taxes to import the items we've brought in and leave behind in our home in Mexico .

I would imagine that Trojan will need to eventually get an FM3 at least , since they plan to generate income by renting their home.

And my first response was also "wow". Chartering a plane and flying the dogs home, and having an extra Expedition that you can leave behind and will pick someday, are not typical Baja problem-solving options that you'll read about very often here on Nomad. It was an interesting glimpse in to a way of life far more foreign than anything I've encountered in Mexico. ;)

Congratulations on your new home Chris. It is exciting.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the issue whether or not you have legally imported and paid duty on items you've brought in to Mexico that determines what you can leave there and not your immigration status?

Many of my Fm3 holding friends who live in Baja full time have paid the duty to legally import their vehicles and get Baja plates because isn't that the way that you're actually supposed to keep a foreign vehicle in the country? This is the first I've heard that an Fm3 automatically allows you forgo the import tax. Did I understand you correctly Don?

I've said many times, when we stop and declare the building materials and supplies for our home, Aduana never asks us our immigration status before accepting the importation tax for the items. We've owned properties, gotten fideicomisos, and have just built a house in Baja Sur and an FMT (tourist card) has been an acceptable form of immigration document in all of these instances. We're not retired yet and don't qualify for FM3's because of the Mexican bank account requirement that our local Mexican immigration office has (San Carlos, mag bay) but we legally own our property according to mexican law and we have paid the taxes to import the items we've brought in and leave behind in our home in Mexico .

I would imagine that Trojan will need to eventually get an FM3 at least , since they plan to generate income by renting their home.

And my first response was also "wow". Chartering a plane and flying the dogs home, and having an extra Expedition that you can leave behind and will pick someday, are not typical Baja problem-solving options that you'll read about very often here on Nomad. It was an interesting glimpse in to a way of life far more foreign than anything I've encountered in Mexico. ;)

Congratulations on your new home Chris. It is exciting.

Hey, what do I know, it's so hard to separate fact, fiction, rumor, gossip.

But the info I got when we bought was to get an FM3 within 6 months of buying property. And that as long as your car is legally registered anywhere it is legal in baja, but if you leave it, a trailer, personal items, etc you must have an FM3 or better. I know many who don't do all this. Not only do you not have to import your vehicle, but (again, I'm not 100% sure of this) some vehicles cannot be imported, and must remain licensed in the states? I think? I leave a 1991 truck here with permanent Montana registration.

I've got stuff here that's duty paid, stuff that's exempt, stuff I bought here, and I can't prove anything, no documentation.

Now having said all that I have had my FM3 for three years and can't recall being in a situation wherean FMT would not have been sufficient. Except for a discount at Los Arcos hotel in La Paz.:lol:

The problem is that things are changing quickly. New officials, new interpretations of rules, new enforcement initiatives. So if I owned any property here I would waste no time getting an FM3.
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 08:47 AM

You guys its all good. First off Im by no means rich, My family , Dogs, are what makes me Happy. Ive been fishing, and going to Cabo since te mid 80's.
While the rest of the world was partying and club'n and Rapp'n and Mtv'ing I was busting my ass 24/7. Well now its paying off, I tell people all the time I just turned 40. You played and I worked. Moving on I have a friend who hooked me up with a Falcon Pilot out of S.D and its like 4500 bucks each way. This is why were driving out. Cuz Im not rich and cant afford to fly 2 ways. Also I need to get a car down there cuz rental rates are cutting it for me. The Expedition is my wifes car, its a 96 and its payed off. We use it here for Dog transportation.
I'm super stressed, this isnt a walk in the park. This isnt Mtv Cribs and Im not big pimping. This is OH no! whats around the next corner are we gonna make it. This is unfamiliar territory, So thanks for all your help.

Fishbuck, Thats what I calc'd out as well. Im gonna try to book a room there the first nite. Then Loreto the second and then to Cabo. What Hotels are in Catavina?
Heres another house pic

And 1 of my dog Chanel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:03 AM

You say you don't want to drive in the dark and as late as you are leaving Rosarito... on a short day in January... You will not get past (nor should you) the Baja Cactus Motel in EL ROSARIO... 200 miles south of Rosarito.

Reserve a room: motel@bajacactus.com you won't be sorry you stayed there... Top off you gas tank at the Pemex next door as the next station is over 200 miles south (Villa Jesus Maria or the state border, or in Guerrero Negro).

Breakfast next door to the motel at Mama Espinoza's or 2 miles away at Baja's Best (Starbucks logo on building) Restaurant.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:17 AM

FM 3

If you get yours in Cabo they will make you open a Mexican bank account, put $1500 (or so) U.S. in it, show it at renewal that you have activity on it. That's not easily done. We got ours in La Paz (maybe you could too) and there they don't force you to open the account. May not be a big deal for you but it was a very big deal for us.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2006 at 09:23 AM

Like David K says. El Rosario first. It's not all mileage; the miles from the border to south of San Quintin are tough and tiring. Catavina's just a couple hours farther than El Rosario, but if you get reservations at Baja Cactus:

It's a better room.
Wait until you see the showers.
Movie channels!
Much more secure parking than the La Pinta at Catavina.
Better food
Dog friendly, just keep them off the beds.
And the price at Cactus-1/2 to 1/3 of La Pinta Catavina.

Get an early start, and you can reach Loreto from El Rosario. Or take your time and you have several other great options: San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, or Mulege.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.