Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carnival in La Paz
6flora6
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 03:18 PM
Carnival in La Paz

Does anyone know the exact date of Carnival in La Paz this upcoming February? I thought it was the first Saturday in February, but can't find any information to confirm this hunch.

Thanks!
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 07:58 PM

I don't know the exact days, but if you can't find that info on the net, go by Charlies or any of the main hotels and they'll be able to tell you as they'll be booked on those days. Wish I was there for it. The carnival committee also has an office, usually on the next street off the Malecon just across the way from the chicken statue. - Stephanie
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 08:38 PM

Carnaval in La Paz is sooo fun! It's the celebration taking place the week preceeding Ash Wednesday - you know, party down and then behave in a saintly fashion Ash Wednesday through Easter (isn't that Semana Santa - not sure). Anyway, just count back a week before Ash Wednesday. Last year the festivities officially began on Wednesday, the biggest part of the celebration and the parade is Fri-Sat-Sun, not certain what happened the last 2 days as we trucked out to Magdalena Bay for a few days with the whales. Have fun!:bounce:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 08:40 PM

Also, last year there was plenty of room at all the inns. We were 1 of 2 couples staying at Cabanas de Los Arcos.

.....Oscar Wilde
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 09:13 PM

I agree that this is quite an event. We hadn't planned on Carnaval, but things were really happening as we arrived via bus and taxi from Mulege. Taxi could get us no closer than a block from hotel La Perla where we'd planned to stay,we were only hoping that they could accomodate us; we dragged our luggage through the good natured crowds to get a room. They do know how to party. Later on we joined the throngs for a few minutes, but soon found it a bit daunting to be out in the street in the great press of humanity. There were so many people nobody seemed to be moving, except if you managed to join a "congo line" going your way. This tripled your speed! Returning, we settled on enjoying the relaxing view from La Perla's verandah. This was March 6th, 2000. Natalie Ann's prediction on how to determine the date seems right.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2003 at 11:48 PM
I was in that crowd doing my share of congoing with the kids.

If they have them, don't forget to get a couple of those veracruz style tamles with mole and wrapped in banana leaves. Oh and don't pass up the fresh brick oven baked breads. I swoon at the thought of either. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 08:15 AM

To see a sample of some of the good foods there, take a look at some pictures I posted in the photo gallery titiled Sweets.

Regarding the crowds, we generally avoid such things but found the party in La Paz to be very safe and friendly. One of the conga lines bumped into me and 7, yep count 'em, 7 teenage boys in the line stopped immediately, apololgized for bumping me, asked many times if I was OK and offered to buy me a cerveza. I've been jostled more on the city bus in my home town.

And if you stay at Los Arcos (or their Cabanas) you won't have to drag suitcases as the Malecon closes off just above them; plenty of room for taxis.

.....Oscar Wilde
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 09:28 AM

Thank you all for the reports on Carnival in La Paz!
Virginia and I attented many times the years we were in Loreto;
We did have one bad year when all the Kids were using Cans of foam and spraying it on everyone. Got a good dose in the eyes and had to leave the Malacon. But always good food and fun. There at one time was a young girl making Leather Masks which were well done. It hangs on my wall now.
If you go have a grand time and if you want to sleep away from the Crowd try the Gardinia Hotel . Skeet/Loreto
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 10:09 AM
The Gardenia y Cabanas de Los Arcos are both good suggestions.

Gardenia probably being the better as it's at least 4 or 5 blocks off the Malecon. I have a friend that used to live in the apartments just up the hill from where the rides are. She and her daughter would barely get a wink of sleep the whole 2 weeks of festivities with the sounds of blaring rides, people screaming till 4 in the morning and the speakers at the stalls screaching "OSOS DE PELUCHE!", VENGAN A GANAR TU OSO DE PELUCHE!". I was at Mission Suites one year for Carnaval too and didn't get much rest, but it was like La Perla, a good haven to watch the festivities from during the crowded periods.

All I know is that one Carnaval in La Paz can make the Blah Blah county fair (insert wherever you're from), seem pretty darn BLAH from there on.

I was thinking about your photos, Natalie, as I was talking about the food last night. Lullaby for a fat girl.....- Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 11:26 AM

Carnaval in La Paz is one of my greatest pleasures when trekking the peninsula. The celebration in La Paz has seemed a bit more "family-friendly" (for lack of a better term) than the celebration in Ensenada, from what I've experienced. YMMV

Every year the celebration, as noted, is the week leading up to (but NOT including) Ash Wednesday.

Notes on La Paz hotels/motels can be found at:
http://escapist.com/baja/lapaz.htm

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2003 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daveB
...This was March 6th, 2000.

I'll bet that we saw your smiling face! We were there too ;):coolup:
6flora6
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2004 at 09:42 AM
Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I attended a couple years ago and it was really fun. I just wanted to nail down the date so I could book a hotel room in advance for the festivities.

Thanks again,
L.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.