BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: parking at Mexicali border crossing, etc.
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 05:34 PM
parking at Mexicali border crossing, etc.

I am planning to visit Baja this spring for a few months via entry at Mexicali. And I will be towing a small enclosed utility trailer behind an old mini-pickup with slide-in, cab-over camper.

What is the best way to negotiate entry?

I've never been to Calexico or Mexicali. And I am particularly concerned about parking.

I'm thinking it would be best to park somewhere convenient just north of the border -- either at the main crossing or at the east crossing -- and then walk across the border to get my tourist card, including its validation, and to get an initial batch of pesos at a "casa de cambio".

So what are the best places to park. Free parking is preferable. I don't mind walking a few blocks if necessary -- perhaps it might be a good chance to get a good look around without having to hurry because of traffic.

So, can anyone give me a good idea of what to expect?

Also, after negotiating the border crossing:

I am interested in picking up a copy of the new edition of the map atlas "Baja California Almanac" when I'm in Mexicali.

So I'm wondering about where to park in Mexicali to pick up a copy of the Almanac, assuming that it will be published by that time and that I don't find one beforehand.

Here are a list of places where I initially guess the Almanac might be available.

1) Gigante supermarket on Benito Juarez
2) bookstore across the street from Universidad Autonoma de BC (UABC) on Benito Juarez
3) Ley supermarket on Independencia
4) Ley supermarket or Sanborn's dept. store in Plaza Fiesta shopping center
5) ask at the "tourist bureau & ..." (COTUCO) at Lopez Mateos and Camelias if all else fails

There will be some desire to do a minimum of driving around from one place to another. City parking can tend to be awkward -- and perhaps a bit hazardous (policia, etc.) since I don't read Spanish signs very well.

So, can anyone tell me:

1) what are the most likely places to find the Almanac? and

2) what is the parking like at these various places for a mini-pickup with slide-in camper and a small utility trailer in tow? How is street parking as well as off-street parking? Is it OK to take up two parking spaces for street parking?

Of course, free parking is preferred where available -- it tends to be the simplest and also allows for taking more time if I wish.

Also, where might I get the best price for the Almanac?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 05:59 PM

Coming in thru the New Crossing, (Mexicali East) just drive on in and park just beyond the Customs inspection. - pretty sure they'll want to inspect a camper and trailer. Tell them you need Migra and they'll show you where to park. Immigration is right there along with a bank.

I doubt you'll find Baja Calif Almanac at any of the places you mentioned. It's a book targeted for gringos, not the general Mexican population. Don't know of anyplace in Mexicali that I would expect to find it. In San Felipe, the San Felipe Title Co., a bookstore downtown will have it whenever they are available.

Parking with a trailer is difficult anywhere in Mexicali except possible large grocery store or Walmart parking lots. If they have parallel parking and 2 spaces are available - go for it. Pretty difficult to find a single parking spot.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:45 PM

Hi Richard,
There is not much parking near the 'OLD' border crossing in downtown Calexico, unless you go ahead and park on the street and walk across and back.

I would e-mail the Baja Almanac people and ask them for a list of stores which carry the Almanac. In San Felipe, they may also be available at the Internet store at the SOUTH end of Ave. Mar de Cortez, which is the main street one block from the beach. Or if not at the Internet store, maybe at the art gallery next door.

If you cross the boder in Calexico, and if you enjoy a drink now and then, be sure to hit either (or both) of the 2 Duty Free stores before you cross. They have VERY good deals on all the top brands of liquor. I've taken several across with me and never been checked by the Mexicans when crossing. Usually just have it in the bag on the rear seat or floor. If you smoke, they also have VERY good deals on those.

One DF is one block before the border and the other is right before you cross the border. The first one also has a money exchange out front. At that one, I always had to park on the street. At the 2nd one, I would pull in and use their easy in and out lot, if not too full. Or, the guard would let pull up in front of the store and park. When you exit the second one, as you turn right, you are driving right into the border crossing station.

I'm always towing my 18' trailer with quads behind my Ford Crew Cab, so I have a pretty long rig to park.

I rarely ever crossed at the Eastern crossing, so I'm not very up on the parking there. It is however, my exit of choice. it's a lot quicker and more pleasant line to wait in.

Amo

[Edited on 12-13-2006 by AmoPescar]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 11:12 AM
NO Parking in the U.S.

Frankly, there isn't "anywhere" that you can park with a trailer close on the U.S. side of the Border at either the "New" (East) crossing or the "Old" downtown crossing. Addtionally, you can't simply walk across into Mexico and Walk back without clearing U.S. Customs.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 11:34 AM

Go new border Mexicali. Enter the far right (declaration lane) immediatley on your right is the building you need to go into. Immediatley on you left are the guards, tell them "migra" and they will point to the parking not more than 50' away.

As many times as I have entered through that lane for Immagration or to Declare materials, I have never been searched by the guards, not that I have anything to hide, especially when I am declaring.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 04:34 PM

Thanks, all, for the helpful comments.

According to wpartain (Bill) at http://www.vagabundos.com/New%20Forums/index.php?showtopic=4... "I think the least stressful way to enter Baja is to go in at San Luis (Hwy 95 S out of Yuma)."

I've got plenty of time. And since I probably wouldn't find a copy of the Almanac in Mexicali, I'm thinking I'll probably enter Baja via San Luis.

I guess entering via San Luis should be as easy as the east gate at Mexicali.

But I'm wondering where to get my initial batch of pesos.

Is there a casa de cambio or the like at or near the San Luis border crossing? Is there any commission or other fee charged? And is the exchange rate the best available?

Same questions apply for the Mexicali crossings as well.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 05:08 PM

On either side of the border there are "Casas de Cambio" to exchange dollars/pesos. Rates are nearly all the same. Whether stated or not, they will make some money on the transaction - or how could they stay in business? The nearest to official exchange is at ATM machines, but if you pay a ATM fee, that kind of uses up the difference.

It is certainly only a matter of personal preference to say San Luis Rio Colorado is the easiest to enter Baja Cal. You are actually entering Sonora, and have to watch for the turn to go west to Baja Cal.

Good luck

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.