Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Little solar big worries
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:15 PM
Little solar big worries

Got my new Kyocera Solar panels and Blue Sky 2000E boost controller (25 amps). Don't know if something is needed to keep something from going wrong if I use my generator to charge batteries at 85 amps input. Will currant backup into my new panels:?: Forgot to ask when I picked them up.
Just thought someone might know...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:21 PM

it should be OK if you use separate connectors to the battery. but just in case I would put some diodes rated at the max amperage in the supply lines from your soler controller.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:42 PM
Al G....

...the charge controller for your solar panels utilizes diodes to keep any current from 'reversing' and discharging the batteries that are connected to the system. These diodes will also block any current from your 'outside' charging source (charger/generator) from returning to the solar panels.

Now...you mentioned your generator has an 85 amp charging capacity??? An 85 amp charging source is rather large...do you have a large battery charger that's powered by the AC of your generator....or are you referring to an 85 amp alternator running on a generator - if so, your 85 amp alternator won't actually put out 85 amps, probably only 2/3's of that rating, and in addition, the alternator's output may be internally regulated, in which case it will only allow enough current as the battery bank will allow.

I use a 600 amp hour battery bank @ 12 volts (6ea, 6volt golf car batt's in series/parallel) that are hooked to several small solar panels through a small 10 amp charge controller - just to keep my batteries 'topped off' while we are away. I use my generator powering a 110 VAC, 65 amp battery charger to recharge the battery bank on a daily routine when we are using the palapa. Running this battery charger has not damaged the solar panels in any way, being 'protected' as it were by the solar panel charge controller...

I don't think you will have any problems...but you might check with your solar panel supplier, just for peace of mind!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-12-2006 at 09:46 PM

the charge controller stops current from "backing up" into the panels
it also "vents" off extra power not used

to answer this question we need to know how many panels you're using, wattage, voltage (12, 24, 48)
what amperage do the panels "put out"
what kind of inverter and size

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Al G
Ultra Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the charge controller stops current from "backing up" into the panels
it also "vents" off extra power not used

to answer this question we need to know how many panels you're using, wattage, voltage (12, 24, 48)
what amperage do the panels "put out"
what kind of inverter and size

Bob...Hope this PDF works...
Model# KC85T
5.15 amps each (2) boosted 30%(13.39 amps total)
21 V max
12v sys
Panels 85 watt
inverters (2) 600 watt 1-lights 1-entertainment

I settled on these, because most amps for size 25X40 for the top of my MH.

[Edited on 12-13-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
...the charge controller for your solar panels utilizes diodes to keep any current from 'reversing' and discharging the batteries that are connected to the system. These diodes will also block any current from your 'outside' charging source (charger/generator) from returning to the solar panels.

Now...you mentioned your generator has an 85 amp charging capacity??? An 85 amp charging source is rather large...do you have a large battery charger that's powered by the AC of your generator....or are you referring to an 85 amp alternator running on a generator - if so, your 85 amp alternator won't actually put out 85 amps, probably only 2/3's of that rating, and in addition, the alternator's output may be internally regulated, in which case it will only allow enough current as the battery bank will allow.

I use a 600 amp hour battery bank @ 12 volts (6ea, 6volt golf car batt's in series/parallel) that are hooked to several small solar panels through a small 10 amp charge controller - just to keep my batteries 'topped off' while we are away. I use my generator powering a 110 VAC, 65 amp battery charger to recharge the battery bank on a daily routine when we are using the palapa. Running this battery charger has not damaged the solar panels in any way, being 'protected' as it were by the solar panel charge controller...

I don't think you will have any problems...but you might check with your solar panel supplier, just for peace of mind!

Mexray...I use my 6.5 Onan to run My 85 amp house converter and power 85 amp car charger to my batteries at the same time. 4- 6 volt.
I don't know what they really put out, but 1 hr charge per day and I have no usage problems ie...My TV/stereo system and house lights are used the same as at home. I may be conserving some.
I do not want to use my gen-set in Baja and am I willing to conserve more, for the peace and quite.
I am hoping these panels will give me some entertainment.

Albert G

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:20 AM

Any nomads with wind-powered generating systems?:D:D
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:25 AM

We had one a few years back but it didn;t put out near what they claimed and made a lot of noise. When the bearings went out for the second time, I threw it in the garage.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:36 AM

My neighbor in Baja had one, she actually went through three of them in less than three years. It was definately noisy, especially when the brake would activate because it was going too fast. It did charge well on those windy days, but we were happy when she stopped replacing them, it was noisy.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 10:59 AM
Battery Charging

As stated previously, if you're charging directly into the battery bank, there is NO concern regarding current backing up towards the Controller.

My main array at present consists of (6) Kyocera KC-120s controlled by a Trace C40 controller charging (22) GC Deep-Cycle Batteries. Additionally, I have a AirPower 404 wind generator which charges over 30 amps DC in high wind conditions. The wind generator has been online for six years, but is not used continuously, of course. Still the original bearings. At times, I use a genset to charge the batteries via the charge feature on my Trace 2500 watt Inverter, charging up to 50 amps. In addition, I have a DC Genset I built with a Delco 85 amp alternator driven by a 5.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The 5.5 will power the alternator at around 55 amps maximum.

I have one neighbor in Percebu who I sold an AirPower 403 to and, after six years of intermittent use, he could "hear" some bearing noise, so I purchased replacement bearings for him. Another neighbor (who lives there fulltime had the same 403 unit in service for Seven years before a bearing Froze. The bearings are the most common bearing in the Automotive World (203, 5203, 6203 etc) are run about $5.00 each retail.
The bearing replacement is straight-forward and easy PROVIDED you pay attention to what you're doing.

As stated, these charging modes have been used for a number of years with ZERO problems.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 11:52 AM

About those wind generators.:D Thanks for the answers.:D Other than solar, generators are gonna make a little noise.:D Replacing bearings, while messy, is no big deal if you can get to 'em without having to hire a cherry picker.:tumble:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:50 PM
Wind Gen Mount

When I installed my Wind Gen, I used a 3" diameter Pipe Eight feet long for the base. I built a "Hinge" from 1/4" Steel Plate 6" Square, welding one end of the Hinge plate to the Base and placing the base 4 feet into the ground with Concrete.

The mast is Ten Feet of 2" Steel Pipe with the other hinge plate welded to the end and then Ten feet of 1 1/2" pipe shimmed and welded inside for an overlap of two feet.

I placed the Base adjacent to my Laundry Room so that I could brace the mast against the roof eave for additional support. Four feet down from the Generator Mount, I welded a steel ring for hoisting and lowering. The current mast is a total of 22' above ground. In my case, this works fine when the wind is in a NW to NE quadrant. From other directions, the wind is shadowed due to existing structures, but I have the ability to extend the mast should I want to. Since the Winter North winds are the ones I'm most interested in, it works fine.

Don't EVER mount a Wind Generator affixed to the living space. The vibration is pretty significant.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:55 PM

One of my neighbors learned hard way that the larger wind generators on pole mounts need to be guy-wired to sturdy ground anchors. If you are in a very windy area the noise gets to be a bit irritating.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 12:59 PM

MrBillM, Thanks for the information and the advice.:)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-13-2006 at 08:47 PM

Al G

you won't be able to use the microwave with those inverters but...

you'll have plenty of power to charge the batteries daily and you'll be able to run the forced air from the propane heater at night

the fridg will only be propane but the inside light will turn on

the converter sucks power so you'll need the generator if you use that thing

you'll be fine

remember solar is only as good as your battery bank...
the more batteries the more reserve power

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.