Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: asuncion earthquakes continue
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 03:21 PM
asuncion earthquakes continue

HOla todos, well just when we thought this beast was calming down we had another pretty big one at 2:45 a.m. which woke up the whole town. And as these usually come in sets with the 2nd one being bigger we all anxiously awaited an even bigger one so nobody got much sleep last night but there were just a few smaller ones. Then just as I logged on this board another medium one hit, yikes....hey this board DOES have issues! Anyway, here is a picture of the primary school kids. All classes are conducted outside now at all schools as well as church services. LUckily the weather has been lovely this past week.

But after several days of only 4 or 5 relatively minor quakes, many thought things were settling down. I darn near slept in the car last night after that shake up. Of course it was THE topic of conversation today and most people are certainly thinking that a bigger one may happen at any moment. It is interesting as the first couple weeks there were more in the daytime and now it seems it is more active at night. Lots of people are so traumatized that they think they are dreaming when some happen at night and like me they don't really know what's real and dreamt anymore...it's soooo weird! I happened to wake up a few moments before the big one last night so I knew it was real and did my little screaming thing which just happens! So yes there are some good deals on houses these days...a few amigos have asked me if there are any gringos interested in houses. (NO! I"m not a real estate person!!!!!) but would be happy to help my pals sell their homes. I figure billions of people live on way bigger faults than this one. So I have put my pack back into the car and we will be parking it facing the road out in case of emergency. In the day it's not too bad but at night it's worse. Fact is that everyone is just sitting on pins and needles waiting for a bigger one. There are funny stories of folks who evacuated here and went to Ensenada where they had an earthquake there, then Guerrero Negro where they had one too so they just don't know where to go now. It sure seems like there is more activity around the baja lately. I talked to the diver who was down when a quake happened and he said he saw lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom.Maybe it was just some organic matter loosening up down there or something but lots of people sure are freaked out. A sailboat anchored here thought that they had dragged anchor and hit the rocks as the vibration came up through their anchor chain. Lots of good stories!

[Edited on 12-14-2006 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 03:27 PM

What did the experts from DF and the US who came there say about the tremors?:?:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 04:07 PM

So I guess it's NOT the tosca abreojos fault at sea but a nasty little bugger that runs under our house causing all this hoopla. But all the scientist abandoned ship after the BIG one here and just left their apparatus...they never did put a display up like they said they would....because they were gonna put it in the school but all the schools are a NO_GO zone so the kids only have to go to class for a couple hours cause they can't use the bathroom either so have to let them go wee wee at home....kids don't seem to mind that!!! Shake on they say! They say this fault can't cause a really big one, but it could cause a bigger one than the BIGGEST one we had a couple weeks ago which cracked our house all up....crap. So I figure that they really don't know. They are supposed to come back and give a report one of these days as they are in DF compiling all the data....like there are around a hundred tremors a day (La Pas has around 400 a year!!) and we had over 800 in 11 days...hmmmm....but it's interesting that there have been other quakes nearbye too....Ensenada, Guerrero Negro, Guaymas....if anyone has any info please let us know more!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 06:38 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. See you in Jan.

Iflyfish
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 08:12 PM

Shari,
I bet this makes you wish that that big "They" that we norteamericanos refer to would get their act together... as in "They oughtta do something about this". If I were you I'd be thinking "I've been a good sport, but enough is enough."
For what it's worth, I sure hope things get better up there, and I hope when you come to Loreto our paths cross, it would be fun to meet you.
Paula

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 08:52 PM

paula i think someones gonna have to be a talking to some one a lot bigger then anyone on baja or the northamericanos to do something about a earth quake??
dont fret incompitence is running rampide everywhere and i share yours ,keris and the peoples of asuncions fear that the people wont have enoff time to get out of harms way if something happens and not knowing is allway worse then the worse thing that could happenwishing you all the best jerry

jerry and judi
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2006 at 10:30 PM

Jerry, it wasn't really a comment on anyone's competence or lack of it-- some things you just can't fix. But I can imagine Shari's frustration with this unsolvable problem. And it's maybe even a little more difficult when you are wanting to have a nice holiday.
So here's wishing the best to Shari, Serena and Juan, in spite of it all, and to you and Judi too.:yes:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-15-2006 at 07:49 AM

Shari--did you ever see anymore of the "venting" that you saw early on?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.